Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 01:01 PM

130 posts, read 386,670 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a black female with a white boyfriend and we are interested in moving to Aurora or Denver, CO the beginning of 2009. He's from CO, I am from San Diego, CA where we both currently live. I have some reservations about the tolerance level there of interracial relationships. Are there any? Besides the typical staring, do people seem to be fairly tolerant of others choices? San Diego (and Cali in general) is live and let live, so I'd like to hear from people who know and can offer any first hand advice. Thanku.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:40 PM

12 posts, read 47,503 times
Default You shouldn't have a problem

Either Denver or Aurora are okay. Our son has never had a problem. He has always dated women of other races. He currently lives in Aurora but will soon be moving back to Denver. Aurora has a larger hispanic population than Denver.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:24 PM

45 posts, read 164,447 times
I'd say its a great idea.I have lived in several others cities and I would say that Denver/Aurora is one of the best areas for an Interracial couple. I grew up in SE Aurora with 3 biracial brothers and had several biracial friends and knew plenty of Inter-racial couples. Aurora is a pretty diverse city, so you wouldn't really have to worry about "sticking out". No matter where you are there are going to be people that are stuck in the stone age, but overall I would definitely recommend Denver/Aurora.

Last edited by Sneaks88; 06-28-2008 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 06-28-2008, 03:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
I'll add my agreement to that. Even here in "family oriented" Louisville, there are mixed race couples. No one much cares, though as Sneaks88 says, there is always someone stuck in the stone age.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:44 PM

39 posts, read 110,789 times
Honestly, I'm surprised you'd even worry about that here. I'm a Denver native and I've never noticed any kind of intolerance to inter-racial couples. South Aurora is a lot nicer than the rest of Aurora (it has a reputation for being sort of a rough and tough area, although they've cleaned that rep up a lot, there does seem to be more gang activity there).

But I don't know cause I've never lived anywhere else, I just have to say I've *never* noticed intolerance with inter-racial couples in Denver or its surrounding areas. I hope you have the same experience! It's a great city to live in and I hope people are welcoming to you. Good luck.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:52 PM

353 posts, read 1,706,155 times
Unless you plan on moving into the back hills of the Appalachian mountains, I think you will be fine anywhere in the country. If you don't have an issue with it, then most people nowadays won't either.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:19 AM

16 posts, read 71,272 times
Unhappy If it were only the Appalachian mountains...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
Unless you plan on moving into the back hills of the Appalachian mountains, I think you will be fine anywhere in the country. If you don't have an issue with it, then most people nowadays won't either.
While your response is positive it is definitely unrealistic. You don't sound like you are in or have been in an interracial relationship; I could be wrong. If I am, forgive my assumptions. But, I think if you were or had been then you would not make such a naive statement because there are plenty of people who continue to have big issues with interracial dating/marriage despite the fact that it is not their business . This seems particularly true when it is a black/white couple. It's anyone's choice to disagree with interracial dating and marriage but the problem is that some people go so far as to harass couples or make them feel as if they are not welcomed in a variety of ways.

The same goes for the poster who made a comment just before you stating that he was surprised the original member with the question is worried at all.

How could she know what to expect if, like she said, she is currently living in California and does not know Colorado/the Aurora area? She's being responsible by asking questions before making the move rather than moving and then being harassed or attacked which does (gasp: believe it or not) happen to some people who have made life decisions or lead lives that other people do not like, such as dating out of their race or dating the same gender. Let's not pretend that only one place in the US (the Appalachian Mountains) is behind in the times, so to speak. We can't act as if the rest of the US has no racial issues, gender bias, gay bashing, and the list goes on and on. Her asking this question is no different from a gay woman or man asking how tolerant a neighborhood is toward same gender couples or a single woman asking about safety issues; it's being responsible.

To the original poster, the best of luck to you and your love whether you decide to stay in California or move to Colorado .

Old 06-29-2008, 08:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
I work in a pediatrician's office. We have a number of mixed race couples, including white man/black woman, which is relevant to the OP. No one bats an eyelash at these situations in our office.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:06 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,086,729 times
I live in Denver and work in Aurora a few days a week. Either is fine.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:07 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
Either Denver or Aurora are okay. Our son has never had a problem. He has always dated women of other races. He currently lives in Aurora but will soon be moving back to Denver. Aurora has a larger hispanic population than Denver.
Actually Denver has the larger Hispanic population at 34.7% of the city versus 19.81% in Aurora. Aurora has larger African-American and Asian populations than Denver though.

I have lived in central Denver and currently live in SE Denver on the border of Aurora and Greenwood Village near the DTC. I love this part of town a lot more than central Denver. Most cities have their ethnic neighborhoods in the city center but I have found SE Denver/Aurora to be far more diverse than central Denver. I attended a DPS meeting with the governor last fall and learned there are 38 languages spoken in SE Denver area. Havana/Parker area has many Asian markets/strip malls. There are large numbers of immigrants from Africa, the Middle East, and Eastern Europe in this part of town. I like to play frisbee golf at Expo Park and it looks like a UN conference with families of all races side by side enjoying the park. I would highly reccomend this part of town in lieu of the trendier places like LoDo that are 100% white. We have access to lightrail and every single store or restaurant chain you can think of is down here. Park Meadows is a massive shopping mall with high end apparel like Armani Exchange and Loius Vuitton.

As far as acceptance of an interracial couple is concerned, I would say Aurora is still your best bet. I know many different mixed race people who come from homes that are French/Japanese, Isreali/Syrian, Black/Korean, Mexiacan/Pakistani, and if anything they are more intriguing because they are so unique and exotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver