U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-02-2008, 03:08 PM

2,755 posts, read 8,688,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
Dang...I THOUGHT that Northwest Denver was Italian and Mexican.

I grew up there and, it was both of those.
North Denver is still pretty heavy on the latin flavor, just less so than it used to be.

As mentioned, many of the Italians have fled for the suburbs; seems like the Italians finished moving out right about the time that the yuppies all moved in. Still, there are some great old school Italian restaurants in North Denver.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 03:38 PM

723 posts, read 1,744,775 times
Carl's Pizza, Pagliacci's, Patsy's (yes, its good again and under new management), Carbone's Sausage, Gaetano's. Some great new additions over on Tennyson are Parisi's and just a few doors down Gemelli's, the latter of which is excellent, even to my culinarily critical North Denver Italian wife!

Old 07-09-2008, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,808 times
Default Ethnic restaurants, etc...

There are a few restaurants left in Denver's "Little Italy".

Pagliacci's
Gaetanos
Patsy's Inn
Three Sons

Also, there is an Italian Catholic church off of Navajo. They have a big Summer carnival.

On 38th Ave east of Pecos (next to Chubby's) I'm told there is a good Italian Deli worth checking out.

Also, a couple years ago I when I ate at Patsy's Inn I picked up an Italian Community newspaper. I don't remember what it was called and I'm not sure if they are still publishing.

As for other ethnic food places... Arvada is POLISHTOWN! Originally the Polish neighborhood was in Globeville but all that remains there is the Polish church. There are at least 2 authentic Polish bakeries, 4-5 delis/markets and 1-2 restaurants in Arvada/Wheat Ridge. I'm told there are a lot of Ukrainian shops in Arvada as well.

Oh! and back to Italian shops! There is a nice little Sicilian bakery in Wheat Ridge off of Wadsworth and I believe 32nd. It's right next to a Polish Deli called Sawa Meat and Sausage.

You should check out Citysearch.com

Old 07-23-2008, 07:33 AM

792 posts, read 2,061,594 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have to check out these places on a visit back in the fall.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:11 PM

3,531 posts, read 6,326,737 times
I was really disappointed with Pagliacci's last time we went (Feb. of this year). They now charge for salads when it used to come with the meal, and the food was just not as good. Anyone else have any recent experiences with them?

And thanks for the info on Patsy's. I miss them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
Carl's Pizza, Pagliacci's, Patsy's (yes, its good again and under new management), Carbone's Sausage, Gaetano's. Some great new additions over on Tennyson are Parisi's and just a few doors down Gemelli's, the latter of which is excellent, even to my culinarily critical North Denver Italian wife!

Old 07-23-2008, 05:54 PM

8,241 posts, read 13,489,176 times
Ok, I knew about the 38 and Pecos area. But what about that fine Italian restaurant on 68th and Lowell Blvd near that joint that made pizza also near what used to be Cheri's Pub?

This place was classic Italian, similiar to what we have in Pueblo with Paganos, Gaetanos, Iannes, Giacomo's... This place had pictures of a bunch of famous people and their autographs on them as well.

And what about the hilltop area? I think that was near 44th and Lowell. I wonder if that wasn't an italian neighborhood. How about Edgewater Inn? Sweetness? How'd that pizza get so good without a little Italian influence?

Last edited by McGowdog; 07-23-2008 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: LC, help us out here?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:08 AM

795 posts, read 1,589,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
You're looking in the wrong city if you want ethnic neighborhoods of any kind. No Jewish Delis, Polish bakeries, Vietnamese grocery stores, Turkish butchers, or the kind of stuff you'd see in Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland, or East Coast cities like Boston, Philly, or NYC.

here are some jewish deli's in Denver

East Side Kosher Deli
Zaidy's Deli - Downtown Denver and Cherry Creek
The Bagel Delicatessen and Restaurant, a Denver Kosher Style Restaurant

Old 07-27-2009, 03:15 PM

4,931 posts, read 8,809,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico2008 View Post

Pagliacci's
Gaetanos
Patsy's Inn
Three Sons

Also, there is an Italian Catholic church off of Navajo. They have a big Summer carnival.

On 38th Ave east of Pecos (next to Chubby's) I'm told there is a good Italian Deli worth checking out.

Also, a couple years ago I when I ate at Patsy's Inn I picked up an Italian Community newspaper. I don't remember what it was called and I'm not sure if they are still publishing.

As for other ethnic food places... Arvada is POLISHTOWN! Originally the Polish neighborhood was in Globeville but all that remains there is the Polish church. There are at least 2 authentic Polish bakeries, 4-5 delis/markets and 1-2 restaurants in Arvada/Wheat Ridge. I'm told there are a lot of Ukrainian shops in Arvada as well.

Oh! and back to Italian shops! There is a nice little Sicilian bakery in Wheat Ridge off of Wadsworth and I believe 32nd. It's right next to a Polish Deli called Sawa Meat and Sausage.

I have been here for over 30 years, and in Arvada for over 27 years and I never heard that Arvada is "POLISHTOWN".

I grew up near a real ethnic Polish area in Buffalo and I know what characteristics make it Polish. A Polish Bakery or Deli does not make it Polish, nor have I seen or heard of a Polish Bakery or Deli. Catholic Churches would be the first you would notice, and there is no Polish influence in these Catholic Churches and Parochial Schools, that I have seen.

Globeville still has Polish influence with the church and the church school, which is growing with new Polish immigrants. In addition, there was a Polish Club on West Alameda, near I-25 which is miles away from Globeville. That would say to me, that a Polish Community would have settled around that area. I do have to admit,

I have heard Polish spoken, on more than one occasion, in North Denver, so perhaps there are some Polish ethnic people in the western suburbs--but not to the degree of a Polishtown.

Certainly Wheat Ridge has an Italian influence, as ethnic groups tend to move concentrically in line, out of their city neighborhoods; being that North Denver was connected to Wheat Ridge. The Sons of Italy Hall in Wheat Ridge says it all.

Livecontent

Old 07-27-2009, 03:50 PM

569 posts, read 1,634,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico2008 View Post

Pagliacci's
Gaetanos
Patsy's Inn
Three Sons

The Italian newspaper is called Andiamo! and can be found at many authentic Italian restaurants and markets around the city.
Anyone interested in Italian history should check out CIAPA (Colorado Italian American Preservation Association) CIAPA
There was also an exhibit at the Colorado History Museum entitled The Italians of Denver that talked about Denver's Italian neighborhoods, prominent families, etc. Unfortunately, it only went through January I think.
The Catholic church others referred to on Navajo street is called Our Lady of Mt. Carmel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver