U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Moving to Denver metro area, seeking information on Denver sprawl problem, explosive population growth Denver metro area, urban sprawl problem

Old 06-30-2008, 09:37 PM

839 posts, read 1,997,741 times

Advertisements

So I go by a pizza place a few nights a week after work and one night the guy who always waits on me notices my Colorado I-70 sticker on my rear bumper and asks me about it. He is from Durango and grew up in Pagosa Springs and went to school in Denver. I tell him i have visited Colorado three times in less than a year and its where i want to live really bad. So we get to talking and i told him i how i was planning on the Denver area. He firsts mentions the sprawl and I told him about this forum and how i have become so informed about Colorado through it. So the entire issue of sprawl has suddenly sprang to mind. How sprawled has Denver become? I think its a growing metro area but people are also moving out to right? Also why has Colorado Springs not seen the population boom Denver has? just a few questions i am getting close to headin out for good and the more i know i figure cant hurt. LOL i guess i am not the only person who likes the dry crisp air of colorado!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 09:56 PM

8,177 posts, read 16,227,357 times
Anybody who has lived in Colorado for more than 20 years (over a half-century for me) will tell you that sprawl is out of control in the Denver metro area. The amount of land lost to sprawl--particularly in the last 15 years or so, is simply staggering. Newcomers don't get it, because they didn't see what it was then compared to what it is today. As for Colorado Springs, sprawl is as big a problem there as it is in Denver--it's just that the Springs started from a much lower population base when the post-WWII sprawl phenomenon hit. If the rate of Colorado's growth trends--more correctly STUPID growth trends continue--the Front Range will be an unlivable hell-hole in another ten years or so. I don't think that will happen because the whole unsustainable mess is likely to implode on itself before then. I think we are very close to that "tipping point."

Old 06-30-2008, 10:18 PM

3,695 posts, read 6,480,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Anybody who has lived in Colorado for more than 20 years (over a half-century for me) will tell you that sprawl is out of control in the Denver metro area. The amount of land lost to sprawl--particularly in the last 15 years or so, is simply staggering. Newcomers don't get it, because they didn't see what it was then compared to what it is today. As for Colorado Springs, sprawl is as big a problem there as it is in Denver--it's just that the Springs started from a much lower population base when the post-WWII sprawl phenomenon hit. If the rate of Colorado's growth trends--more correctly STUPID growth trends continue--the Front Range will be an unlivable hell-hole in another ten years or so. I don't think that will happen because the whole unsustainable mess is likely to implode on itself before then. I think we are very close to that "tipping point."
Amen to that!

Man, where were you when I was defending living simply rather than living it up?!

Old 06-30-2008, 10:22 PM

127 posts, read 310,498 times
Sprawl may be a problem in Denver Metro and the front range, but be thankful that your sprawl has not altered the night time temperature like it has here in Phoenix Metropolitan. Development, specifically all the concrete that replaced the natural sonoran desert, has created an urban heat island that has raised the overall night time temperature. We have had an overnight low temperature as high as 90 degrees when the day time high has reached 110-115 degrees. It's only a matter of time before the overnight low will be 100 degrees. Even the summer thunderstorm season is not as productive in the amount of rain fall like it was 10-15 years ago.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 11 days ago)

70,058 posts, read 60,642,093 times
I have lived in Colorado almost 30 yrs now and I do not agree with jazzlover's post. It is true that newcomers see how it is now and not how it was 50 yrs ago. None of us posting on this board know how it was 100 years ago. The point is, the only constant in life is change. I think growth has been managed fairly well. Yes, there are things that could have been done better, but the past is the past. We have an excellent transit system. The burbs have many of the amenities of the city, with shopping, rec centers, JOBS, and much more. The area is fairly compact. It depends of course, on what you are comparing Colorado to. If you are comparing it to a rust-belt city that is losing population, yes, there is a lot of new housing and it may look a bit raw. But believe me, having problems like school overcrowding is more challenging to deal with, in a good way of challenging, than having to close schools due to population loss, like in Pittsburgh.

Last edited by Katiana; 06-30-2008 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: Clarification of who I was responding to, typo

Old 06-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 11 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareFreeAZ View Post
Even the summer thunderstorm season is not as productive in the amount of rain fall like it was 10-15 years ago.
Do you have any verification of that? I have heard about how cities, all cities, retain heat, and don't cool off at night like the (gasp!) burbs and rural areas, but I have been hearing that for 40 years.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:39 PM

There's a change in rain around desert cities

Old 06-30-2008, 10:44 PM

From the article:

Shepherd found a 12-14 percent increase in rainfall in the northeast suburbs of Phoenix from the pre-urban (1895-1949) to post-urban (1950-2003) periods. That is an increase, not a decrease, and the comparison period was not just 10-15 yrs ago, it was the last 58 years. I'm not saying climate change is good, mind you, I'm just saying rainfall increased, not decreased.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:50 PM

The natural patterns are being altered by the heat island... that's what I'm reading.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareFreeAZ View Post
Even the summer thunderstorm season is not as productive in the amount of rain fall like it was 10-15 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
The natural patterns are being altered by the heat island... that's what I'm reading.
Yes, that's what I read, too, but that's different than the quote above. And this is certainly not new news. As I said, I have heard this for 40 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver