Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 09:37 PM

40 posts, read 180,359 times

Advertisements

Where do I live?

I am a Chicagoan who has been living in Portland for 4 years.
Chicago is almost too urbane for my tastes.
Portland is not urbane enough.
Denver seems right... but does that mean I want to live right downtown in the smack dab of everything or is there a neighborhood really close to downtown that has the same hip-communitybased-local neighborhood vibe that I've become accustom to here in ultra-liberal Portland??

I remember liking Capitol Hill but it's been 4 years and I know neighborhoods change and grow.

Thoughts, suggestions are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 09:48 PM

164 posts, read 596,139 times
Yep, Cap Hill is the spot you're thinking of. Not so much of a legit neighborhood vibe though, as it's really more of a pass-thru area that people seem to live in, get what they need out of it, then move on. There's definitely long-timers, but it seems to be alot of apt. bldgs with people who won't stay long. It's liberal and hip, but without alot of substance.....it's also gritty and has minimal identity. The farther east on colfax you go from broadway and north or south there's more consistency. You'll have more of a neighborhood feel.
I'd recommend not living exactly downtown LoDo unless that's the experience you want. i have no experience w/chicago or portland, but do think that near downtown is pretty happening. Do you want a professional neighborhood, a hipster neighborhood, a transient neighborhood, or an up=and-coming (read: quasi former ghetto) neighborhood.

From about 20th street down south to I-25 and bounded by Broadway and Colorado would be a fair area to look in. The farther south from colfax the better and the calmer (bad and good) and probably 5 blocks east of broadway is also a better buffer from that street zone. Good Luck with your search.

I'm in the same early 30s single boat, and live off colfax and broadway, and can say it's definitely a love/hate place to be.

Last edited by icewater; 07-03-2008 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: forgot to add extra info

Old 07-03-2008, 10:11 PM

40 posts, read 180,359 times
I think I am looking for density more than anything. I don't mind grit. I don't mind a bit of sketchness... but I want to be walking distance to bars and restaurants (or at least a quick bus ride away or cheap cab ride away).

I remember liking LODO but it's been 4 years since I've been to Denver so my opinion (or the neighborhood) may have changed.

I like the idea of living in an OLD building with charachter.
Something that really signifies DEVER and not some strip mall that could be anywheresville.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:47 PM

164 posts, read 596,139 times
Judging by your response you definitely want to be in Cap. Hill. There are alot of older bldgs with character and this area will NOT give you a stripmall experience. LoDo is more expensive, more downtown, even less neighborhoody, and has zero character....just alot of recent developments overbuilt in a 3 different cookiecutter manner.

The grit and density and proximity to everything (even LoDo) makes Capitol Hill a great place. You just have to watch the sketchy deadbeats. It sounds as if you have experience with this so it shouldn't be a problem. Seriously, the exact corner of about 11th and maybe corona would be a good area. There's alot of old bldgs to be found.....check craigslist and the postings with pics should give some idea. Hint: if there's an AC unit built in the wall the place isn't old and wouldn't have much charm.

Honestly, though, this is the middleclass whiter section of Denver. If you want a more ethnic experience, try maybe the area off of Federal and 6th street. Very Different but I'd say this is a true Denver. A bit more sketchy than cap hill but a high concentration of Hispanics who I'm sure love it as a home. This area though is not really as easily walkable to downtown.

Also, living relatively near Colfax (which could be called 15th street on a map) would mean Very good bus service. You could get away with no car for a bit, and there's lots of decent amenities in the neighborhood. Taxis are very common also.

Living in Denver will be much easier than Chicago or portland (I think). Check the weather threads on this site's forums.

Welcome to town in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: