U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 01:30 AM

5,112 posts, read 12,122,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by josfari View Post
Thank you for your comment we will definately keep it in consideration. Just curious... any other areas you looked into?
We researched most southern suburban areas. We settled on Highlands Ranch and Parker for our search(which is on hold since our deal fell through) after spending time researching and visiting Aurora, Greenwood Village area, Centennial, Cherry Creek area, etc. Some were priced out for us and some were just too old as far as architecture and neighborhood upkeep were concerned. To be honest, most of the areas we visited seemed great places to move our family, but we had some personal tastes we wanted filled and cost needs. HR and south Parker fit our needs the most, so we chose them as target areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 01:47 PM

739 posts, read 2,093,723 times
price range?
Cherry Creek is mostly townhomes/duplexes, very high end and I think attracts more downsizing baby boomers than families with children.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:11 PM

17,016 posts, read 14,511,787 times
HR is FULL of families with kids of all ages. If you join a church or a moms group, or participate in your kids activities, it shouldn't be hard to meet other moms at all.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:30 PM

2,755 posts, read 8,685,215 times
You said you wanted a "modern, newer home area." That pretty much rules out the city of Denver (including Cherry Creek), with the notable exceptions of Stapleton and Lowry. As had been said many times, Stapleton is probably the best fit for you in Denver, though there are many areas in the suburbs that would fit you well.

As for the suburbs, Littleton might be what you're looking for, but it's also a mature area and doesn't have much new construction. It does have excellent schools and is usually mentioned high up on a list of the "best Metro Denver suburbs."

Old 07-08-2008, 11:10 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,313,007 times
there are other things to consider - commute? community amenities?

Old 07-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 8 days ago)

70,008 posts, read 60,539,184 times
Where will you be working? That can make or break a location.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:55 PM

3,695 posts, read 6,476,308 times
(sits on sidelines... waits for commute discussion to arise)

I enjoyed Littleton on my visit this past weekend. Although just a cursory experience.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:33 AM

10 posts, read 26,621 times
Talking Thank you

Thank you to all responses.
We have heard of some new areas such as Lowry and Solterra?
I am torn. Although I love the city I would like a "safer , tight knit community" the burbs just makes me feel people tend to be to themselves?
My husband will be working and I think he will have better success finding a good chef position in the city.
In my opinion coming from Lahaina, Maui. I am looking for the action and "things to do" in close proximity.
If there were a sub that had a main drag with smaller boutiques and with in walking distance, perfect.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:19 AM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 8 days ago)

70,008 posts, read 60,539,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josfari View Post
Thank you to all responses.
We have heard of some new areas such as Lowry and Solterra?
I am torn. Although I love the city I would like a "safer , tight knit community" the burbs just makes me feel people tend to be to themselves?My husband will be working and I think he will have better success finding a good chef position in the city.
In my opinion coming from Lahaina, Maui. I am looking for the action and "things to do" in close proximity.
If there were a sub that had a main drag with smaller boutiques and with in walking distance, perfect.
If anything, I think the city is more impersonal, and I have lived in both. Since youhave a child, you will have the opportunity to get very involved with his/her activities. Not just the "Mommy and Me" stuff, but school and sports activities in a few short years. Certainly Louisville has a great sense of community and lots of community activities.

Bradburn1 described her New Urban community's Fourth of July events; I will tell you what happened in Louisville. The city staff gave the residents a barbecue in the Community Park. Brats and hamburgers were free, along with a bag of chips. There was a bocce tournament. There were craft tents, and game booths for the kids. There was a jazz band. There was free swimming in the public outdoor pool, and an art show sponsored by the Louisville Art Association (this was not a craft fair, BTW, but a "real" art show. In the evening, there was a band and food booths at the golf course, where the fireworks were shown at dark.

Louisville does have a main drag with boutiques and restaurants, also the pubic library is downtown, and a light rail station is coming. There is a bandshell downtown, and the city sponsors a band every Friday night in the summer. In the winter, the bandshell is used as a warming area for the ice rink.

All this may sound very "Norman Rockwell", but it makes for a good place to live.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:05 AM

8,668 posts, read 19,313,007 times
Lowry & Stapleton are nice communities - Solterra is brand new - this year's site of the Parade of Homes (Realtor Day is July 25th)

There are new houses going up in nearly every suburb of Denver as well.

But what is important to you is what matters. Do you need asscess to parks, schools, swimming pool, tennis courts, batting cages, rec volleyball, bowling, art class, community college, .... that is what will help us help you focus in on an area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver