Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 01:33 PM

10 posts, read 35,377 times

Advertisements

We are interested in moving to Denver. We are interested in finding an area that has a lot of conviences and "mommy and kid" things to do.
We have been looking at Stapleton, Littleton and Cherry creek. We would like an area that would allow us to meet new people and families in close proximity.
I know Cherry creek is a bit expensive, but we are looking for a place with great schools. Our son isnt at school age yet(10mo) but would like to settle somewhere where the schools are great.
I prefer to live in a more modern, newer home area. I understand Stapleton is like that but after talking with some people they don't think it is the best area.
We like the city but would like a sub feel.
I am afraid if we moved to somewhere like Highlands ranch or Centennial or littleton it would be difficult to meet new moms and families.
Wash park and those other communities seem to be more for singles?
I would love some input and advice
THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 01:57 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,758,544 times
well, in regards to your HR statement, we spent a little time in HR while researching our move and the people were friendly and outgoing in many of the neighborhoods we toured. plenty of young families and such. so dont sell it short without taking a peak and seeing if it may meet your needs afterall

Old 07-05-2008, 02:23 PM

10 posts, read 35,377 times
Thank you for your comment we will definately keep it in consideration. Just curious... any other areas you looked into?

Old 07-05-2008, 03:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Most of the suburban areas are family-friendly and will meet your criteria. Stalpleton is family-friendly from what I have heard. Stapleton schools are DPS. There are many suburban school districts, most of them are good. It's mainly "different strokes for different folks" re: the schools: small vs large, special programs, etc. I wouldn't worry too much at this point with a ten month old. You may move again before s/he starts school.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:05 PM

698 posts, read 2,046,591 times
Do you need to stick close to downtown or down south? If not, my neighborhood has what you are looking for: Bradburn Village in Westminster (30 min north and west of downtown). About 80% of the homes in here are families with young kids (under age 8), and because its a walkable neighborhood with a city feel (but in the suburbs with great schools) I know pretty much every one of them. Super, super social neighborhood. Teeming with kids and stay at home parents. You and your kiddo will never be bored here LOL.

For example yesterday we had our annual July 4th kids' parade where all the kids in the neighborhood decorate their bikes/trikes/scooters/strollers/wagons and we have a firetruck lead a parade to our central park where we have a big party after. We have a great movie night in the park about twice a month where we show a movie outdoors and have a firepit for the kids to roast marshmallows, and our weekly park parties so the kids can run around, the parents can have a beer, be social, and not have to drive anywhere.

If you need to stay more south, I agree with the Stapleton suggestion. Tons of kids and families. Love the neighborhood. We chose Bradurn over it because the neighborhoods around Stapleton are not so hot, it has higher prices than Bradburn, and we wanted to be close to downtown Denver and Boulder at the same time, but I think those are pretty minor details. Everyone I know who lives there with kids loves it (and you can't beat the playgrounds they have!).

I know the Highlands is a great city neighborhood with a very active moms' group, but honestly, the schools are pretty awful. A lot of my neighbors moved from there to here because they got a similar feel here with a new house but good schools.

Good luck in your search, Denver is a great place to live.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:39 PM

619 posts, read 2,199,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradburn1 View Post

I know the Highlands is a great city neighborhood with a very active moms' group, but honestly, the schools are pretty awful. A lot of my neighbors moved from there to here because they got a similar feel here with a new house but good schools.
Really? I'm intrigued. That goes against everything I've heard about HR schools. How are they awful?

Old 07-05-2008, 05:45 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mczabe View Post
Really? I'm intrigued. That goes against everything I've heard about HR schools. How are they awful?
Highlands Ranch and Highlands are two different areas. Highlands Ranch is a southern suburb; Highlands is a neighborhood in Denver. HR refers to Highlands Ranch, not Highlands. Schools in Highlands Ranch are thought to be good.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:53 PM

619 posts, read 2,199,136 times
(slaps hand to forehead) Duh, I knew that...I really did!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 05:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
It's a bit confusing. Yes, even I, the one who doesn't put much stock in school rankings, would be hesitant about the schools in Highlands. Note I said "hesitant", not completely opposed.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:16 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,839 times
Stapleton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver