Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 8,816 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are planning on moving to Colorado. We currently live in Alabama and are desperately trying try somewhere new. I had only been to Colorado once but was blown away by the landscape and people out there.

Ive recently graduated with a degree in Computer Science and have been working as a C++/Java software developer for nearly a year. I have checked all the regular job sites, HotJobs, Monster, etc. but would like to get a local perspective on the job market for someone with my education/experience.

Also, with us being relatively young (I'm 24 and she's 22) we're looking for a place to live that's suitable for our ages(eg not too expensive). If anyone has any suggestions or advice it would be really helpful to us.

We're coming to visit in 2 weeks to look at jobs and apartments as well so if there's any parks or attractions we should check out while were here we still have a pretty open itinerary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 11:12 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,931,864 times
Being in the IT industry, I can tell you jobs are quite good for people with your skills and right now there is no shortage of hiring. However, there are enough local candidates floating around that most companies don't have much time for relocating people out here. When you do come out I would emphasize that you can start on short notice and do not require relocation assistance. A lot of employers immediately disregard resumes with non-local addresses, so don't be too discouraged if there's not a lot of interest at first. Once you're here I think you won't have too much trouble, if you have the luxury of moving without a job in hand.

The biggest job centers in the area are going to be the DTC (Denver Tech Center) area (including some of the other office parks further south), Downtown Denver, Broomfield, and Boulder, probably in that order as far as total number of tech jobs. My experience is that it's difficult to live anywhere where you can take jobs in all four zones, you have to usually pick 2-3. If you live downtown you might be able to take jobs anywhere.

As far as cheap areas to live, I'm not sure what you'd consider cheap but for a big city I consider Denver apartment rents to be relatively low. As anywhere, big corporate complexes are naturally more expensive than individually-owned rentals. Suburban areas are unsurprisingly cheaper than closer-in areas (location, location, location), but may be dull for younger people. The best advice would be to locate close to your jobs, and get a short-term lease if you can so that you can move once you get to know the area better.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:30 PM

739 posts, read 2,940,548 times
Can you PM me your resume? I may be able to help you out or at least provide some advice. Thanks-

Old 06-07-2007, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 8,816 times
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm currently at work but I'll pm you my resume as soon as I can.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:28 PM

8,174 posts, read 16,562,313 times
I am a software engineer working for Northrop. I transferred out here over a year ago by choice. I had to pay for my own relocation or no company transfer.

I know a lot of the aerospace and other high tech companies are hiring. When I lived in Calif. I never got contacted by Denver or Colorado Springs companies regarding my resume even though I had a lot of experience.

I updated my resume on monster recently and now I am getting all kinds of recruiters contacting me. The main difference is that I live here.

I think the reason for this is that companies want to hire local people to avoid having to pay relocation. Why pay relo if they don't have to?

If you are motivated and willing to make some sacrifices to get here you shouldn't have a problem finding work.

I am currently looking at moving from CS to Denver which is only an hour away. While I like CS, I find that Denver is closer to the places really I enjoy for outdoor activities. I am always finding myself driving out that way.

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-07-2007 at 08:40 PM..

Old 06-07-2007, 10:12 PM

i agree mtn surfer. I am a recruiter. I always tell people to get a local address, use family's or make it clear not in a cover letter but on the resume itself to note when you are moving. You are exactly right, even though the market has improved and more companies are paying relo, there are still more that are only looking local.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:14 AM

346 posts, read 1,561,849 times
I've posted this question before, but here it is again: If we are out-of-state and use a Colorado address and phone number, how and when do we disclose the fact that we are not actually in Colorado? Won't that look dishonest to an employer, and create a mark against us? If the employer is interested and wants to set up an interview, do we say something at that point or what? It just seems awkward.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:59 AM

I think you put an address and in parentheses say when you are moving there or in the initial call with the recruiter or hiring manager, mention that you have a local address, you didn't want employers to think you were expecting a relocation package and when you will be in town to interview, and when you are moving. All of this assumes you aren't expecting a relocation package. Which if you won't move unless a company relocates you or, if you have a job first, makes this all null and void. I don't mean to sound negative, as I do know that some companies are paying relocation. I'm just trying to give some insight into how you may get the most traffic on your resume. I also recommend using some headhunters in your field- they can be an asset to you. YOu can find them by searching through google or, through recommendations from friends. I also recommend looking through a tool like Linkedin to see who you may know, or who may be connected to you in an area like Denver. Even as a recruiter, I know most jobs come through networking through someone you know. And, a lot of openings are never even posted. Good luck!

Old 06-08-2007, 06:52 PM

34 posts, read 121,730 times
Thanks for the pointers dj32. Sounds like many of us are in a catch-22. Can't move until there's a job. Can't get a job until you move. No way out without lying about residency.

I'm willing to relocate myself and I can start on short notice (would have to rent and distance commute until the house sells though) This ain't easy!

Old 06-09-2007, 04:25 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,008,849 times
My spouse received an internal recommendation for his current position from a friend he had worked with in another state. It was hard to get noticed, but once his resume was in the right hands, a job offer followed quickly. We relocated on our own dime, but the salary and benefits, combined with advancement potential, made it worth the trouble and expense.

I think our success stemmed partly from how we prepared ourselves for the move. We established a financial safety net, sold our house, and made arrangements to stay with local relatives while we looked for a rental home. We didn't want any roadblocks that would motivate a potential employer to look elsewhere.

Bass, try looking through your contacts. Do you have any high school or college friends who live here and could give you a lead or a recommendation?

RGG13, do whatever you have to do to sell your house. Once it's sold, you can use the proceeds to fund your move and job-hunt. It worked for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver