U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-07-2008, 11:24 PM

19 posts, read 30,048 times

Advertisements

hi all...
i have read several threads on this site and if i didn't live here, i would think that people from denver area were not friendly...why are people saying this? i am lucky to work and live by friendly people but this does not seem to be the majority(from what i am reading)...i see that many people are saying it is friendlier in the south...i moved her from texas and i'm not sure i get it???? i'm thinking it might be because the people in texas are much more apt to ask personal questions? ie...so what are you up to tonight?, i like your shoes, where did you get them? how old is your baby? where do you get that super big hair done...(sorry couldn't resist)

what do you think?

thanks friends...
el
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 07:22 AM

26,362 posts, read 55,282,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmylou View Post
i am lucky to work and live by friendly people but this does not seem to be the majority(from what i am reading)..
Are you comparing apples (neighbors, people, community) with oranges (city data forum posts)?

You even wrote that your neighbors are friendly.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:43 PM

619 posts, read 1,408,619 times
Since we've been considering moves to five different areas over the past few months, I've been reading several different boards here - and it has been interesting to compare the tone from one board to the next. I think the CO/Denver board is very friendly, but also very open in opinions expressed. Now if you want an uber-friendly board check out Delaware. And if you want true grit, head over to the NJ board. Denver's gang seems to fall in the happy (and healthy) middle IMO.

That being said, I spent a whopping 26 hours in Denver & the south suburbs a few weeks back and in person, I was BLOWN AWAY with the friendliness of the people there. Granted I come from Jersey, not the gentile south, but I couldn't find a person in my travels who didn't offer help or share info willingly. It was like a fairyland compared to where I am now. Honestly, after being dead-set against moving to the Denver area, that short visit changed my mind...even if it's not half as great as it seemed, it's still fabulous! I can't wait!!!!!!

See you in Denver in 12 days, all!!!!!

Old 07-08-2008, 03:01 PM

3,531 posts, read 6,266,541 times
mczabe, are you coming from New Jersey? I've often been complimented as a Denverite as to our friendliness. It makes me glad to be a Colo. native, even though I grew up not in Denver, but in Durango.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:06 PM

1,148 posts, read 4,093,239 times
Intent and meaning is often misunderstood. It's of course more so as people are anonymous. It can become easier after some time when you get to learn people's writing style.

It's generally speaking difficult to convey emotions in text communication. It's not just on message boards people can seem rude to the receiver. You get that with emails too. I guess that is why smilies are frequently used although I try to avoid them it can be useful if you're trying to be funny. Sarcasm in particular can be misunderstood. To be on the safe side I think it's better to appear too serious than giving the impression of laughing at someone you don't really know.

It's easy to appear insensitive without gestures and facial expression. There are of course introverts (and I think the number of them may be quite high on message boards) who write things in anonymous forums they would never dare say to someone's face. Even colleagues bring up sensitive issues in emails which they would not in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver