Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 08:41 AM

33 posts, read 118,386 times

Advertisements

We are aiming to move from the East Coast (Northern VA) to Denver within the next year. We already know its the place we want to raise our family - we are big skiers, love the outdoors and will welcome the slower pace-of-life to spend with our kids. We are currently a two-income family (have to be here) but when we move we are hoping to only have one of us work and were really wondering what the daily cost of living will be out there and if we can afford it? We are both in Gov't IT and one of us (probably my hubby) would likely stay in that field out there (pending finding a job which is a different challenge).

Has anyone moved from the Mid-Atlantic East Coast to Denver that can provide their opinions on the comparison between here and there on overall daily cost of living?

For instance...

HERE
Gas = $4.10/gallon (reg)
Gallon of organic milk = $6.50
Loaf of bread = $3-4
Weekly Grocery bill (4 people) = ~$175-200
Gym membership = $40-50/month (w/ initial fee)
Dinner out at Red Robin-type place (4 people) = $45
Local ski lift ticket = $40-50/4 hrs; season pass = $670

I know things are hard to compare one-to-one so any insights would be welcome... thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 08:51 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,157 times
I moved from Maryland to Colorado two years ago, and hopefully I can give you some insight. Costs are going to be about the same for most of the things you listed (I can't comment on the lift tickets because I am not a skier), although Organic Valley milk is currently running about $5.50. Utilities will probably go up, depending on your requirements. Not only is it probably going to be more expensive per unit, but the larger houses that most people buy when they move here from the coasts will require more.

Now, on to the million-dollar question. Are you bringing a chunk of equity that will allow you to minimize your housing costs? That's what really made the difference for us! If you can get rid of your house payment (or at least most of it), living on one income is easy. Keep your eyes in your head when you purchase or rent, and you ought to to come out ahead, but that's easier said than done.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:02 AM

Actually - we intend to downgrade on housing - moving from a large 'typical' East Coast McMansion to a much smaller home sensible home in CO. Unfortunatley we bought out here in the height of the 'boom' so at this point, we are hoping to avoid "taking a bath" on the sale next year. But that is part of it... can we be single income if we purchase a 250-300K home? I see previous posts on salaries and we are hoping that one of us can make ~100K (both TS/SCI IT PMPs) and that would hopefully help... is that realistic?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:22 AM

$100k is probably doable. It's not guaranteed, but your clearance level would give you a good shot at it. I would start checking your contractor's internal employment page if they have a site out here. Also, check out Lockheed & Raytheon.

Do want to stay in gov't contracting, or would you consider private? There are lots of other companies out here, who would love to get their hands on a great IT project management type.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:24 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
I might add, stay far away from Northrop Grumman here. They are downright evil in their business practice as far as here in Denver.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:49 AM

89 posts, read 380,427 times
Hmmm, I've been all over Denver and the surrounding areas, and haven't seen any gas over $4 the highest i've seen was 3.99 yesterday. The one i usually go to was $3.89 2 days ago. And for the other stuff, I guess it really depends on what brand and type, so i think there are some cheaper ones and more expensive ones. As far as ski passes, my friend just bought a season pass for unlimited access to Vail, beaver creek, breckenridge, keystone, heavenly and arapahoe basin for $579. Hope this helps

Old 07-10-2008, 10:22 AM

Not tied to staying in Gov't IT if we can find stable/good jobs in the private sector. I've read that we should try to get a job before we move BUT that employers seek out internal-CO candidates over outside candidates... kind of a chicken-and-egg thing isn't it? We aren't looking for a company to pay for our relocation but how do we get noticed if we're not there yet?

Old 07-10-2008, 10:35 AM

Yeah, that's a tough one. It can be extremely difficult to get yourself noticed without knowing someone on the inside. HR departments are completely overwhelmed, and it's easy to get lost in the pile.

PM me with a resume. My spouse's company does IT, and they are hiring, but I prefer not to provide details on the forums. No promises, other than to pass it on.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:49 AM

I appreciate the offer but we are about a year out from moving - If I could keep you contact info I would love to contact you once we get within the 6m range. How do I PM and I'll send you my email?

Old 07-10-2008, 10:55 AM

Oops! Awhile back, I got some really obnoxious messages from an individual who has since been kicked off the forums, so I turned off private messaging. It's back on now. Click my username, and you'll see a button for sending me an e-mail or direct message. Either will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver