U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-15-2008, 01:36 PM

9 posts, read 12,389 times
Default East Highland/'LoHi' questions

I have been looking to move to a place around 36th Ave and Tejon St.
I liked the house but the neighborhood was still up in the air to me. There were some nice new condos a few blocks down Tejon, but the rest of the neighborhood seemed a bit, slow to change (ie: lack of retail and some older dilapidated homes still). I did notice some vacant lots over there however.

Does anyone have an opinion on this part of town? I don't know if its highland or lohi or whatever it is. I think the location is great to downtown and I like some of the shops and streets nearby, I'm just not 100% sold on mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 02:06 PM

1,517 posts, read 4,044,637 times
There are some great home there, but you are right with your analysis, it is an area in transition. It is much, much better then it has ever been and south of 38th is where you would want to be if living there. However, 38th is a very busy road, it is the Colfax of North Denver. Only saying that it is heavily traveled and can often be noisy and create a lot of foot traffic through the streets close to it. I love Chubby's on 38th and use the street to head to my aunts and uncles homes in the Berekely Park area from downtown. However, north of 38th, about 47th and Lipan I believe, is a large government housing project. I was taking some pics of Horcemann Junior High a few months back and could not get out of the neighborhood due to police blocking the roads, at least eight cars. I do believe that the area south of 38th will continue to see changes due to it's proximity to downtown and with the businesses on 32nd continuing to pop up, you could be investing in your future. A couple of times a year I will eat at Patsy's Inn italian Restaurant when I see a show at the Bug Theatre or check out the galleries EDGE, Next, Pirate and Zip37. These are all at 37th and Navajo. It is an area changing and can be expensive for the victorian homes but tons of history and the change has all been for the positive.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:26 PM

4,749 posts, read 8,453,141 times
As usual DenverAztec has given a very good description of an area in Denver. He really knows his way around. I have been to this area many times, by car, by bus and on foot. I never felt it was an extremely dangerous area--just old. But I have alot of toleration and I do not believe that old means bad or bad people. I like that old funky Italian/Hispanic area--it reminds me of areas in the eastern cities. I think it will change in the future but I have some doubts that fancy expensive shops and housing will be an improvement.

I like to point out that improvement north from Highland will be accelerated when the new commuter rail station is completed. It will be about 41st and Fox. It will be interesting to see how the development plays out immediately adjacent to this station as it is a rough area with industry, housing projects and houses that need improvement. However, I think we will see improved development along this eastern section of 38th in North Denver which would include areas near Tejon and Navajo.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 07-15-2008 at 05:45 PM..

Old 08-21-2008, 01:13 PM

11 posts, read 23,528 times
Smile Great neighborhood

Well as my name says LOHIGUY! I Live on 36th Wyandot, have for 3 years, and LOVE it!!! You have a good mix of people, people that are the original owners of their house, young famlies (like me and my fam) and a diversity of ethnicity too. Also LoHi and the best restaurants, Gaetanos, Vita, Lola, Lechugas, Duo, Gelmans, the list could literally gone on.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:45 PM

2,973 posts, read 4,475,744 times
I live a block away from 32nd and Tejon.....great area! I love it around there, and really, you are right in the middle of everything right there. If you like the house, I say go for it. Everything seems to be being rebuilt, whether you think that is good or bad is another matter. Just in the 13 months I've been here, 6 townhomes have been built (still finishing) down the street from me at Shoshone, and more are going up at 17th and 32nd....right off my deck.

LoHiGuy.....gotta try Tamales by la casita next to Lechugas. Yum! The only thing we really get at Lechugas are the sausage canolis.......

Haven't tried Gelman's yet, what is that like? A deli?

Side note.....I drove by Los Carbonitos (spelling?) at 38th and Pecos today and it was closed and they were covering up the sign. Is it over for them??

Old 08-22-2008, 07:49 AM

11 posts, read 23,528 times
LoHiGuy.....gotta try Tamales by la casita next to Lechugas. Yum! The only thing we really get at Lechugas are the sausage canolis.......

Haven't tried Gelman's yet, what is that like? A deli?

Side note.....I drove by Los Carbonitos (spelling?) at 38th and Pecos today and it was closed and they were covering up the sign. Is it over for them??[/quote]

I have tried La Casita, very good Green chili too!!
Lachuga's lil devils, love them!!

Gelman's got a new chef about year ago, it is a very refined menu, a little pricey but worth it. I like the vibe there, upscale food but a chill place. They have PBR specials, and you can wear just about anything there, from jeans and a t-shirt to to dress close. My wife and I went there for Valentines day.

I didn't see anything about Los Carboncitos?? I've ate there several times their food was pretty good. I think what LoHi is missing is just some good American food, Burgers, sandwiches, salads etc...Kinda like North Star which closed...
Anyway have a good day!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver