Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 09:43 AM

33 posts, read 118,367 times

Advertisements

There seem to be plenty of websites and resources for the purchase of SFH. Does anyone know of any realtors or websites that deal with rentals of SFH in the Denver suburbs (Castle Rock, Castle Pines, HR)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 09:46 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
craigslist, rentals dot com

what are you looking for?

Old 07-17-2008, 10:32 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
craigslist, rentals dot com

what are you looking for?
I second craigslist. I found my rental there, and it turned out to be a terrific two-year lease with an absolutely wonderful landlord.

A tip (disregard if you know all of this already): if you choose to go without a rental agency and work directly with the owner, I suggest performing a little detective work before signing any papers. Confirm that the landlord is the actual owner, make sure that the mortgage is not in default, and review your contract thoroughly (with an attorney if necessary). If the house has been rented previously or the landlord has more than one property, ask if he/she will provide a current reference and make sure to follow up.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:43 AM

33 posts, read 118,367 times
Thanks for the tip!

Old 07-19-2008, 10:19 AM

59 posts, read 191,433 times
While not in the areas you mentioned, bearpawrentals in Evergreen manages homes west of Denver and may have some names for you in the area you're interested in.

Good luck

Old 07-19-2008, 08:01 PM

215 posts, read 771,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I second craigslist. I found my rental there, and it turned out to be a terrific two-year lease with an absolutely wonderful landlord.

A tip (disregard if you know all of this already): if you choose to go without a rental agency and work directly with the owner, I suggest performing a little detective work before signing any papers. Confirm that the landlord is the actual owner, make sure that the mortgage is not in default, and review your contract thoroughly (with an attorney if necessary). If the house has been rented previously or the landlord has more than one property, ask if he/she will provide a current reference and make sure to follow up.

Wow I never had to worry about that sort of thing in NYC so I wouldn't have thought to look into that stuff. Thanks for the info!

Old 09-24-2009, 10:01 AM

291 posts, read 911,275 times
There really aren't any Realtor web sites for rentals. The suggestions others gave are valid, but you may also want to try the Denver Post online classifieds. Here's another tip that's worked for people. Try advertising yourselves. Instead of chasing down landlords, advertise your needs, and why you would make good tenants. Also, be willing to provide referrences and anything else that would convince a owner why renting to you would be a wise choice. Landlords hate having to rent properities and interview prospective tenants. It appeals to them to have someone all lined up in advance. I wouldn't advertise your exact rental budget but give a range.
ANAPA also provided some good advice. A Realtor or title company could check the ownership of the property. You could also do it by accessing county records. Then by showing their driver's license, you would confirm the match. I would also ask them to provide you with a copy of their latest mortgage payment statement, which would show if they are behind in payments. If they say there is no loan, then the "ownership and encumburence" that a Realtor or title company would provide would confirm that. You should make these request know initially, when you're communicating with prospective owners. If they know up front, it would weed out any scam artist.
It doesn't happen very often but it does happen. I just met with an individual, last night that was renting a home with a lease-option. Over the course of the last year, he spent about $15K on the home remodeling the basement only to get a notice the other day that the home is in foreclosure and will go to sale in a couple of weeks. Obviously, you won't be doing any improvements, but who wants to move on short notice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver