Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:45 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
... Kansas gave up what is now eastern CO because they didn't want ... all the crazy miners, saloons, and prostitution out here...
Ah, now we know the origins of all those COLO "natives."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 11:00 PM

19 posts, read 43,012 times
We just moved from SLC to Denver last week. We moved to SLC against my will. It was my husband's job that took us there and also to Denver. That being said, I grew to love it. I am Catholic btw. Yes, there are obstacles to overcome. If you are an alcoholic you might get mad at the local gov that controls alcohol sales. The earlier poster waS correct in that SL proper is not majority LDS. If you live near the U of U, avenues, downtown, sugarhouse, or park city you'll be just fine. The further south and north from downtown you get the more LDS it is. You'll learn to appreciate their breeding abilities and ridiculousness of parts of the religion. If the mountains are the only thing you are considering, move to SLC. You can access the mountains daily. The only traffic you will have will be on a major powder day once you are in the canyons.

My thoughts on Denver after one week....it's huge. There's traffic all day it seems like. I can buy wine at the grocery store. There are more "things" to do in the city. Lots of bike paths into downtown. People bike in SLC, but you have to "share the road."

Old 07-16-2011, 11:20 AM

11 posts, read 29,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
So they built a Temple, why is that a concern? Because there are more Mormons, so they need temple services. I do not see that as a problem. Colorado has much more to fear than Mormons like drunks on the roads and ignorant, intolerant people of all races.

I am atheist. I have been to the Temple in Denver, when it was opened to the public before it was "sanctified". It was an interesting "curiosity" but not a threat. I have been numerous times to their churches because they feed me--I go to any church and listen any preaching, as long as they feed me--and Mormons eat good. I worked for a day at their cannery in Aurora, again because they feed me. Actually, I was just interested in the small cannery and social support which is excellent. I even took a trip to Salt Lake, just on a whim, to see the Temple and go on the tour--that was my in my early years of exploring different beliefs in the gods.

To me they are just another group of god believers which cause no harm and some do good. So, they have influence. Is that any different than sports crazed fanatics who vote public money for extravagant sport facilities, which I oppose but accept as it is a majority vote.

Is that more than a problem than all the other groups with their individual agendas who want abortion, no abortion, gay marriage, no gay marriage, marijuana, no marijuana, higher speed limits on roads and more highways, more public transit, fireworks for all, ban on fireworks, more money for Israel, less money for the Jewish occupation of Palestine etc. etc. etc.

So, they have agendas and want to exert influence. You have issues; I have issues. If the Mormons become the predominate majority influence at the ballot box and they are successful--is that not how it suppose to work.

Just Relax, they will eventually go away and disappear from history as all the fantasies that men create. However, keep in mind that many of these fantasies have create good social programs and ideas that hopefully will survive. I just let it happen, as long as it is place for me to get good "mac and cheese" but I am still waiting for "loaves and fishes".

Livecontent
You make some good points, Livecontent, kudos to you! Perhaps I spoke out of shock and frustration (they are building the temple in an open field zoned as residential -- right down the street from my home). Many of my friends are Mormons and I'd have to say their family values are admirable. However, I did specifically choose Fort Collins over Utah to avoid the sense of intimidation that non-Mormons have express in this post, and describe much more clearly on Utah posts on this website and others. Regardless, I don't mind your calling me out on that. Good to keep the emotions (which often lead to stupid comments) in check!

Old 07-16-2011, 12:45 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiracial View Post
You make some good points, Livecontent, kudos to you! Perhaps I spoke out of shock and frustration (they are building the temple in an open field zoned as residential -- right down the street from my home). Many of my friends are Mormons and I'd have to say their family values are admirable. However, I did specifically choose Fort Collins over Utah to avoid the sense of intimidation that non-Mormons have express in this post, and describe much more clearly on Utah posts on this website and others. Regardless, I don't mind your calling me out on that. Good to keep the emotions (which often lead to stupid comments) in check!
I have to tell you that the Denver temple was built in a residential neighborhood, right close to other houses in the development without enough buffer space. Most of the churches are placed more intelligently. When I saw it I was disgusted, knowing that it would bring more traffic in the development. To, me it does not belong there and I cannot understand how the government entity would allow such stupidity. I think, at that time, it was unincorporated Arapahae County; now it is Centennial.

I have not been by the Denver temple in years and I do not live by it. I do not know anything about how it affects the neighbors. I would suspect that all the houses bordering the temple are now owned by the most devoted mormons. I can very well understand you anger if now you are telling me the mormons are doing the same nonsense in another residential area. You could look at it as an opportunity because your house will be desirable to those real fanatics of this church and will pay more money to live next to their heaven on earth.

I am an Atheist and I am against religious fantasies that exert too much influence on the government, behind hidden doors, because some government authorities think that these delusional god believers should be given more rights than other people; that belief in gods trump all other ideas and you cannot criticize--all nonsense.

Livecontent

Old 10-27-2013, 05:29 PM

5 posts, read 17,488 times
Depends on what you are looking for.

Denver is a bigger city, and will have more "stuff" as in sports teams, museums, etc. Colorado is diverse, and you can be in a farm one minute, and in a city within 20 minutes. Colorado has some great skiing in itself with some awesome amazing resort towns.

Utah also has diverse landscape. They have a ridiculous amount of amazing national parks, and the mountains are literally in the backyard of SLC with the greatest snow on earth. I'm mixed on the LDS thing, as my friends who live there (they are not LDS) say that although a lot of the state is VERY influenced by it, it's not always a bad thing. They said they have never once felt that their kids were unsafe outside playing, and are encouraged to be productive and stay out of trouble.

To each his own...I think you could enjoy living in either state. Keep in mind that the rest of Colorado AND the rest of Utah can be VASTLY different than their main cities of Denver and SLC.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:06 AM

49 posts, read 90,183 times
Colorado and Utah are just as good. They're both in The Rocky Mtns.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:23 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Both Colorado and Utah were home to God-fearing, gun-gripping conservatives long before liberals showed up. Don't sit here and act like conservative values are changing these states for the worse. You are the ones forcing change upon this area, not the other way around. In less than a decade you will have successfully screwed up both of these states just as bad as California. You have nothing to worry about.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:28 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Both Colorado and Utah were home to God-fearing, gun-gripping conservatives long before liberals showed up. Don't sit here and act like conservative values are changing these states for the worse. You are the ones forcing change upon this area, not the other way around. In less than a decade you will have successfully screwed up both of these states just as bad as California. You have nothing to worry about.
The original inhabitants of the area sound like liberals to me:
- they were environmentalists who lived in concert with nature, and knew the value of protecting the wild.
- they lived communally, with the entire community cooperating to ensure the survival of all.
- they had a strong respect for women and often traced their lineage through the mother.

And they were mercilessly hunted and driven from their land by those God-fearing, gun-gripping conservatives--who, by coincidence, believed in the conflicting ideas that "all men are created equal," and that they (the God-fearing, gun-gripping conservatives) had a duty turn those original inhabitants into people just like them (just like conservatives today).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver