U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2007, 11:52 PM

175 posts, read 1,073,908 times

Advertisements

I live in Albuquerque and was maybe thinking of Denver as a possible relocation.I dont like cold weather,but after the snow storms here this month I think I can hang with any kind of weather,anyone lived in both areas and can compare the two,also are the people as friendly as they are in Albq.I love Albq but I am considering Denver because the two seem to be similar but Denver has alot more of that big city feel and events.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 10:20 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,740,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by councilor j View Post
I live in Albuquerque and was maybe thinking of Denver as a possible relocation.I dont like cold weather,but after the snow storms here this month I think I can hang with any kind of weather,anyone lived in both areas and can compare the two,also are the people as friendly as they are in Albq.I love Albq but I am considering Denver because the two seem to be similar but Denver has alot more of that big city feel and events.
Hi, I grew up in New Mexico as well as Colorado, so I hope that I'm qualified to give you some help on this. I love New Mexico, but I also love Colorado, so hopefully this will help you.

Denver's a lot more "urban" than Abq and there's a lot more going on. Downtown Denver has a lot more activity than downtown Abq does. The public transit system is somewhat usable, much more so than Abq. Fortunately, our crime level, while a significant problem, is no greater than Abq and probably actually less intense than Abq despite our higher level of urban density.

Probably not quite as friendly and neighborly as Abq to be honest, but much more so than many cities.

We're also a lot more spread out than Abq -- you have Rio Rancho, we have dozens of suburbs like Rio Rancho sprawling out in every direction and getting worse by the day. The relentless sprawl is probably one of the biggest dangers to our quality of life here, since we all like to enjoy our open spaces and outdoor lifestyle.

The weather here is not usually this cold or snowy as it has been this year. If you look at average temps we're really not dramatically cooler year round that Albuquerque, though we get a bit more precip. Think Santa Fe climate-wise, with a bit more precip. So, if you can mentally adjust that in your mind then you'll probably get a good idea.

The biggest difference between Denver and Abq, and the one more important to me personally, is that NM just doesn't have the high-paying jobs that Colorado does. Yes, we're also more expensive than NM, but the numbers generally favor Colorado over NM for economics. My parents have now chosen NM as a retirement place, and they always wonder why I won't move down to live near them. The reason I don't is that I'd take a huge pay cut to do so, plus I like Colorado, so moving down there isn't going to happen. But I do love to visit!

If you do come here check out Jack n' Grill restaurant on 25th & Federal -- it's owned by a family from Abq and they serve up the real thing.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:49 AM

175 posts, read 1,073,908 times
Thanks for the info and I plan on going to Denver this summer to take in a Rockies game and visit downtown,I havent been in about 10 years and I will remember that restaurant you mentioned.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:11 PM

22 posts, read 110,770 times
I really have nothing relevant to say in this post but I would agree that Jack n Grill is awesome. I have been to Abq a couple of times and it reminds me more of Colorado Springs than anything (but I was born and raised in Denver). Denver is a larger city and definently has that feel, plus it is a lot easier to spell!

Old 01-23-2007, 08:54 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,901,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10kbluejay View Post
I really have nothing relevant to say in this post Snip... I have been to Abq a couple of times and it reminds me more of Colorado Springs
I researched Albuquerque way back in my early 20s. I had thought it might be a great place to relocate to but as one that lives in C Springs, it's much more like C Springs than Denver.

I have lived in Denver and while it's like comparing apples to oranges with regards to population and climate, Denver is much more like Phoenix than it is Albuquerque.

Larger population, a lot more land to negotiate depending on your job and the traffic jams.

C Springs is more like Albuquerque in population size, industries and the like.

Perhaps things have changed since but I don't think so.

Make a trip up here and spend some time in CS and then head up to Denver. Moving to a place sight unseen can be unsettling. I did that once and it was more of an extended vacation and came back to Colorado within a month and a half.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,599 times
Default Jack-n-Grill's owned/managed by a jerk, though

Jack-n-Grill had decent food, but on our first and only visit, we saw an owner/manager park, blocking both handicapped spaces. The company didn't even respond to a letter (they have no email that we could find).

We were at Jack-n-Grill's second location (on E. 40th), and saw some truly obnoxious behavior by an owner or manager.

We saw a guy in a big white Yukon zip right up between the two empty handicapped parking spaces, and park directly on the striped area between them. It seemed that this guy was actually somebody in charge of the restaurant, either an owner or an off-duty manager, as he spent about 30 minutes chatting with the staff, going behind the bar, etc.
For some reason, he left for a few minutes, came back with a couple of passengers, and parked exactly as before. Total time blocking the handicapped spaces: probably 30 minutes.

The striped area is used for unloading wheelchairs, etc. Parking like that, between the two marked handicapped spaces, effectively prevented their use. Furthermore, I didn't notice, but no doubt the Yukon was also blocking the ramp area in the sidewalk. So even if someone in a wheelchair managed to park and unload somewhere else, they would have had to find another ramp, just to get to the door.

We were disgusted by this behavior of a manager/owner who was too lazy to park 5, 10, 20 spaces away, and who didn't care about any handicapped patrons who might show up.

robvbrowning at yahoo dot com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or