Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving from San Francisco to Denver area, seeking opinions on quality of life in Denver, safe day care facilities, school districts, acceptance of Californians

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 06:21 PM

27 posts, read 43,116 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in the Bay Area and have been in Colorado for 20+ years now.

>Is life better in Denver than SF?

Yes and no. There is just so much to do in the Bay Area and there is no ocean here. But for me all I miss is the ocean and the A's

>Do you know your neighbors?

Yep, of course I did in CA too.

>Would people dislike us because we came from california?

CA, no. Texas, yes

>Would my son be able to go to a daycare that is safe? (here it seems there are child abusers everywhere - look at meganslaw.com, its terrifying)

There are bad daycare centers everywhere, but there are definitely plenty of good ones around.

>Is the lifestyle generally healthy? (Northern california is not, i dont care what anyone says, everyone i see is very unhealthy, gamblers, drug addicts, a lot of alcoholics, its just soo negative and self destructive. The men are all scrawny and metro, the women are obsessed about their highlights and their shoes and dressing half naked)

Colorado is very much known for being an active/outdoor area. Generally speaking, yes it has generally healthy lifestyle (and not near as many woman who are shall we say fake in the upper body).

>What are the state taxes?

Flat income tax (5% if I recall correctly), sales tax varies from city to city, but is definitely lower than most CA areas. There is also a lower gas tax and overall lower gas prices.

>what about education? schools from k-12, what are they rated?

There are other good ones, but we specifically choose to be in the Cherry Creek School District. I would not suggest either the Denver or Aurora school districts. I should not though that many parts of Aurora are in Cherry Creek.

>Ideally i would like to buy a nice home with big yard (3+brdm) for < $350,000 maybe near a lake, a kids park, good daycare and best schools, can you recommend a neighborhood?

I personally would recommend something in the Southlands area (Aurora/Centennial). If you are interested in older more established parts of town I would look somewhere closer to Chatfield Reservoir.

>fyi, My husband loves to ski and i love to go horseback riding, here its too expensive.

Ski resorts are frankly easy to get to from anywhere in town. For horseback riding you probably want to be more in the southeast part of town closer to Parker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 07:20 PM

9 posts, read 24,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucketfoot View Post
I was born and raised in the Bay Area and have been in Colorado for 20+ years now.

>Is life better in Denver than SF?

Yes and no. There is just so much to do in the Bay Area and there is no ocean here. But for me all I miss is the ocean and the A's

>Do you know your neighbors?

Yep, of course I did in CA too.

>Would people dislike us because we came from california?

CA, no. Texas, yes

>Would my son be able to go to a daycare that is safe? (here it seems there are child abusers everywhere - look at meganslaw.com, its terrifying)

There are bad daycare centers everywhere, but there are definitely plenty of good ones around.

>Is the lifestyle generally healthy? (Northern california is not, i dont care what anyone says, everyone i see is very unhealthy, gamblers, drug addicts, a lot of alcoholics, its just soo negative and self destructive. The men are all scrawny and metro, the women are obsessed about their highlights and their shoes and dressing half naked)

Colorado is very much known for being an active/outdoor area. Generally speaking, yes it has generally healthy lifestyle (and not near as many woman who are shall we say fake in the upper body).

>What are the state taxes?

Flat income tax (5% if I recall correctly), sales tax varies from city to city, but is definitely lower than most CA areas. There is also a lower gas tax and overall lower gas prices.

>what about education? schools from k-12, what are they rated?

There are other good ones, but we specifically choose to be in the Cherry Creek School District. I would not suggest either the Denver or Aurora school districts. I should not though that many parts of Aurora are in Cherry Creek.

>Ideally i would like to buy a nice home with big yard (3+brdm) for < $350,000 maybe near a lake, a kids park, good daycare and best schools, can you recommend a neighborhood?

I personally would recommend something in the Southlands area (Aurora/Centennial). If you are interested in older more established parts of town I would look somewhere closer to Chatfield Reservoir.

>fyi, My husband loves to ski and i love to go horseback riding, here its too expensive.

Ski resorts are frankly easy to get to from anywhere in town. For horseback riding you probably want to be more in the southeast part of town closer to Parker.

Thanks for all the info. Really appreciate it... Very helpful. i think we will plan a trip soon and go visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver