U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-29-2008, 07:18 PM

792 posts, read 1,882,382 times
Default Night Clubs & Rock Clubs (PE/CC)

Has anyone here been to Pollyesters/Culture Club in Denver? What's the vibe? Is it cool? Fill us in. Also are there any other somewhat "similar clubs" in the city itself or nearby (Littleton, Lakewood, elsewhere)?

Back in the day (Jersey in mid 90s) we used to have 3 awesome clubs within few miles of one another off the RT22 corridor: Jukebox Eddies (single floor), JJ Rockers (rock and disco/club room), and the Clubhouse (aka Shout) with multiple tiers sorta like Pollyesters/Culture Club.

If anyone was familiar with these long gone NJ clubs do you know if there are similar clubs to these alive in (metro) Denver? (I just listed these NJ places as a basis for comparison). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-30-2008, 09:42 AM

3,531 posts, read 5,738,447 times
I thought Pollyesters was hokey. I went a few times many years ago. But it's also hokey in a good way. People dress up 70s style and they play that kind of disco too. It was honestly a good time and different than the usual clubs I went to.

I don't know of any other clubs that are themed like that in downtown Denver. Maybe someone else can help you out there. I'm old now and haven't been clubbing in forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Has anyone here been to Pollyesters/Culture Club in Denver? What's the vibe? Is it cool? Fill us in. Also are there any other somewhat "similar clubs" in the city itself or nearby (Littleton, Lakewood, elsewhere)?

Back in the day (Jersey in mid 90s) we used to have 3 awesome clubs within few miles of one another off the RT22 corridor: Jukebox Eddies (single floor), JJ Rockers (rock and disco/club room), and the Clubhouse (aka Shout) with multiple tiers sorta like Pollyesters/Culture Club.

If anyone was familiar with these long gone NJ clubs do you know if there are similar clubs to these alive in (metro) Denver? (I just listed these NJ places as a basis for comparison). Thanks.

Unread 07-30-2008, 10:23 AM

I posted this in part because I feel the Jukebox Eddie's or JJ Rockers "concepts" could re-root itself and thrive extremely well in (metro) Denver. The change in demographics and in NYC radio flavor were the "nails in the coffin" for these establishments. Given Denver's demographics and radio flavor I believe such concepts would thrive.

I'm just rambling. You probably think I want to open up a nightclub or two. Anyway back to my original question - where are the similar clubs?

Unread 07-30-2008, 11:15 AM

56 posts, read 211,335 times
Polly Esther's is closed in Lodo. Maybe someone can respond with other locations for you for the 'burbs. Seems like there used to be a place called HeartThrob, but it may be closed as well. I think Proof of the Pudding (not sure if I have the name right) just east of I-25 and Hampden is an old school type of place, but I've never been there so I can't say for sure.
I liked Polly Esthers when they were in business, but it was always packed to the gills on Sat nights, which made it hard to dance, get a beer, etc.

Unread 07-30-2008, 11:48 AM

360 posts, read 649,360 times
Just went to Coyote Ugly this past Saturday night. It was fun, the staff make it fun.

Unread 07-30-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobeachgirl View Post
Polly Esther's is closed in Lodo.
Closed? Recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobeachgirl View Post
I liked Polly Esthers when they were in business, but it was always packed to the gills on Sat nights, which made it hard to dance, get a beer, etc.
Did the place draw a good turnout of women?

Unread 07-30-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
You probably think I want to open up a nightclub or two.
hey by all means ya, open one, I think that'd be great. I want Denver to become ginormous -- seriously.

Unread 07-30-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
hey by all means ya, open one, I think that'd be great. I want Denver to become ginormous -- seriously.
I don't get it. Did you mean "ginzormous"?

For the most part (with minor exceptions) these concepts played more rock-n-roll and top 40 stuff (vs. techno, club or disco).

Unread 07-30-2008, 01:22 PM

Nope. Ginormous. Huge, big. My play on gigantic and enormous. Ginormous. What is ginzormous?

That Coyote Ugly place sounds like what you are describing. I've been a few times and got pretty drunk. But I had to get drunk to have fun. A lot of the men seemed to really like the bar area with the bartender chicks spraying them with water. But um, no offense here, the bartenders are supposed to be hot I thought? The type of clientele attracted to that bar wasn't my kind either. But really loud bad rock music!

Unread 07-30-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
What is ginzormous?
By 'ginzo' I meant high hair and fake tans, east coast style.

Quote:
. A lot of the men seemed to really like the bar area with the bartender chicks spraying them with water. But um, no offense here, the bartenders are supposed to be hot I thought? The type of clientele attracted to that bar wasn't my kind either.
What about the female patrons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver