U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-30-2008, 09:30 PM

264 posts, read 891,273 times
Default Littleton area subdivisions

We've been in Denver a few months now and we love it! We have narrowed down a few areas to look to buy a house, one of them being the Littleton area - mostly around the C-470 to the west and south, and maybe as far north as Quincy.

Our biggest concern is to find a family-friendly subdivision. One where you know your neighbors names. Where the neighborhood gets together to have the occasional block-party?

We initially liked these subdivisions (when driving through) - can anyone give us any input on how family-friendly these areas are?

Powderhorn, Chatfield Bluffs, Shadow Ridge, Sunrise Creek, & Columbine Knolls

Many thanks for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-05-2008, 12:41 PM

5 posts, read 8,572 times
The south denver area is great for families but you better have good money as most of the houses are newer. Englewood is a good neighborhood too

Unread 08-06-2008, 07:33 AM

8,206 posts, read 17,018,171 times
yes, please have good money. The funny kind doesn't work to buy houses.

Unread 08-06-2008, 07:35 AM

8,206 posts, read 17,018,171 times
It looks to me like you are considering both Arapahoe County and Jefferson County.

What is it that you find attractive in these communities? What is important to you? What do you want to avoid?

Unread 08-06-2008, 09:06 AM

OK, LOL! I'll make sure I bring the good money . I prefer newer houses (built within the last 20 years), with a open layout. An open-layout floorplan with a bigger kitchen is really important to me. So many older homes have charm, but lots of little tiny rooms & we can't afford nor tolerate any major remodels right now.
I'm a SAHM, with a child in 1st grade and about to adopt a baby girl from China, so I'm trying to find a neighborhood that's kid & family friendly. And has the usual good schools. As far as I can determine, the schools in these areas are mostly excellent. We'll need good rec. centers, as well.

The sub-divisions I mentioned had a nice family feel to them. Areas facing the street were neat & kept up nicely, but not too well-manicured, maybe a few garage doors open with people milling about doing yard work. You could see kid's toys in the garage, or driveway. Kids were out playing. Houses seemed fairly well maintained. No junky cars on the lawn.
Another post mentioned that the Governor's Ranch subdivision was nice, but most of people who lived there had older kids going off to college. So if that's true, that wouldn't be the idea 'hood. I'm not interested in living in an area because it's considered snooty or imparts status. That's so not us. Just want a large enough house (2500 sq. feet, or so), that I can be comfortable raising my family in.
The only thing I don't like is the block after block of shopping malls on Wadsworth, but I do need to shop, so I guess I'll just have to deal with it.
I really like Highlands Ranch, but hubby works in Arvada, so he's balking at that commute. We're trying to stay relatively close to C-470 so he has easy access.
I know people like to pick on HR, but I think it's very family friendly, if not a bit too vanilla. I like how most of the shopping malls seem to be contained to a relatively small area, and there's lots of big greenbelts in between houses.

Looks like we're going to start actual touring of some houses this weekend, so I'll continue to get a feel for the places - thanks everyone for your help!

Unread 08-06-2008, 10:24 AM

2,486 posts, read 860,327 times
I love those subdivision names! Sunrise Creek sounds like it's got to be a good one. How can a place named "Sunrise Creek" be bad? Shadow Ridge sounds sweet!

Unread 08-06-2008, 03:22 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,477,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmer View Post
I really like Highlands Ranch, but hubby works in Arvada, so he's balking at that commute.
If your husband works in Arvada, at least do yourselves the favor of looking at Arvada neighborhoods. Read some of LiveContent's posts here about Arvada to get some good information. Arvada has some wonderful family areas, and you might be able to avoid a lengthy commute for your husband completely.

Unread 08-06-2008, 04:58 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'll also be commuting down to Centennial/Greenwood Village for our daughter's classes. Probably 2 or 3 days per week, so I'd like to be closer for that, as well. Arvada is OK, and we have looked around and found a couple of nicer, more kept-up neighborhoods. But, overall, I don't think we want to stay in Arvada permanently. Plus, I can't get used to calling it "Arvaada" with a long "A" sound! Too mid-west for me LOL!
We were trying to compromise, location wise for both of us. We don't care for Wheat Ridge or Lakewood, Golden is a bit too remote for me, or any other older, more inner-city areas, and we both like the western part of Littleton, so that was our compromise. If it were up to me alone, I'd pick Highlands Ranch, but I don't want hubby to have a 45+ minute commute, even with his planned car-pooling.

Also need to factor in the way job markets/mergers have been in my hubby's industry, there's a good chance he may be working further south (downtown or DTC-area) within 5 years, if not sooner.

I've been on these boards for a few years now, long before we moved here, and really found a TON of useful information about Denver. I try to research previous posts before posting a question of my own. I really appreciate the insight everyone has given over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver