Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2007, 07:28 PM

5 posts, read 18,247 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am a twenty-something female getting set for my first big move when I graduate from law school this May. For most of my life, I've lived in the southeast, and am ready to expand my horizons (something somewhat foreign to most southerners!) For the past year+, I have done legal aid work for victims of Hurricane Katrina. I want to continue my career in public interest law, but have decided that moving to New Orleans or the MS Coast would be entirely too emotionally taxing during the first fragile years of my new life! I am drawn to Denver, and Colorado in general, because everything I've heard about it has been wonderful: open-minded people who've moved there from diverse locations, beautiful weather and sunshine, laid-back lifestyles, and semi-affordable living conditions. Is it entirely possible for me to be happy and meet new people and start a different life there? I am very active and athletic, love meeting new people and exploring new places; however, my family remains in the south, as do most of my friends and boyfriend. Any tips or advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 11:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,586 times
I moved here from Atlanta a week ago. So far I like it. Though I have not gotten out to much yet. Still settling in. All of the people I have met so far have been very friendly. I went snowboarding saturday and met a bunch of cool people. I plan on getting out alot more in the coming weeks.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:06 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,933,579 times
I think you'd like it here. The front range of Colorado doesn't have many natives these days -- so if you come here there will be lots of transplants who've moved here from everywhere. People here probably aren't as friendly as smaller towns, especially down south, but I think people are reasonably friendly -- everyone likes the idea of making friends with the neighbors even if the practicalities of busy life get in the way.

If you're into the outdoor lifestyle, I think you'll like this area. I seriously doubt there's another major city so filled with outdoor enthusiasts and people enjoying themselves through sports.

People from warm climates often complain about our winter weather, and I for one don't blame them. But, I will say it's not quite as bad as our reputation suggests or as bad as it has been this year.

I can't give you much advice about leaving your family, friends, and boyfriend behind. I do know lots of people move here for a few years, enjoy the lifestyle here but eventually decide (often after having kids), that they want to move back to be closer to families. On the other hand, being young, you may enjoy the adventure of going to a totally new place for a few years. Don't expect people to come visit you, though. You may have to leave some room in your budget for plane tickets to go back and see friends and family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: