Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 08:01 PM

5 posts, read 27,655 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I would like some opinions from Boston to Denver transplants. How does the cost of living compare? I am transfering to a lateral position, so my salary will be the same. Will things be cheaper, or is it just a quality of life thing? Do you find it to be a more laid back atmosphere? I am really interested to know the differences you have noticed since moving. I have visited Colorado and it just feels like the place I want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 08:38 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,649,191 times
(images not protected by copyright)

It's got to be better COL if your salary is the same. BOS is almost as expensive as LA.

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2008/02/04/sp_super_bowl_footba02.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-06-2008, 11:24 PM

303 posts, read 1,559,496 times
I moved from Boston to Boulder, which isn't quite Denver, but some things will be similar. It has been three years, so some things may have tilted a little one way or the other. Housing is cheaper in Denver, heating costs are waaaaaaay cheaper, auto insurance is cheaper, food is more expensive (I noticed this at the time I moved, I'm not comparing current prices to 2005). If by "laid back" you mean "people wear flip flips to the opera", then yes, it is more laid back (not always a good thing, imho). Boston has much better public transportation, and is much, much better at clearing snow off the roads than Denver.

The sales tax in Denver/the front range is much higher than Boston (once you tack all the municipal taxes onto the state tax) and things like clothing and sometimes food are taxed. I can't really speak to other types of tax, but you can look that up for your situation, I'm sure.

Rental laws are much more favorable towards tenants in Mass than in Colorado, if that matters to you, but the market is less crazy and the general condition of housing tends to be higher in Denver, probably because most of it was built in the past fifty years and not the 1850s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver