U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 02:07 AM

2 posts, read 15,438 times

Advertisements

My mom and I are looking to go to Denver for a weekend in September. My mom isn't much of an outdoorsy person and I want to go into the mountains, if I can (day trip or something). We want do some fun/interesting things while we are there and we have no idea what to do. We have never been to Colorado and are just going there to have fun for a few days. Any ideas on where to stay, what to do, and any other ideas? Anything at all will be a great help!
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 09:37 PM

45 posts, read 132,859 times
If interested in mountains i would say estes park. It is beautiful and lots of little shops that are interesting also. It is about 1hour and twenty min away from denver. Also, red rocks and garden of the gods are both really pretty too. They both are about 30-40 minutes outside of denver. Hope that helps.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:22 AM

70,129 posts, read 60,842,464 times
Garden of the Gods is in Colorado Springs.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:27 PM

220 posts, read 475,682 times
Vail, Colorado. Vail is about 100 miles west of Denver on I-70. About a 1.5 hour drive. Many interesting sites along the way, Idaho Springs, George Town, Dillon, Frisco. In Vail take the Ski Gondola up the mountain and have lunch. Gondola tickets are $20/person.

Boulder, Colorado, home to Colorado University (CU), about 40 minutes from downtown Denver. Great setting in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Many restaurant and shopping. Pearl Street Mall has many activities and street artists.

If you are looking for activities in Denver, how about:

Larimer Square
Colorado Ocean Journey
Denver Art Museum
Molly Brown House
Zoo
Cherry Creek North
Rookies game (Baseball)
Broncos game (Football)

Old 08-10-2008, 02:02 PM

1,517 posts, read 4,141,282 times
What does your mom like to do? If not outdoorsy, does like like mountain drives or more of shopping/museum types? Tons of city stuff to do that is all close to one another, unlike Phoenix, which is totally opposite. You can park your car and walk to everything downtown or connect to it by taking the free mall shuttle that runs the length of downtown. If you like history, we have tons of places to check out. Many parks and buildings going back to the 1800s. I recommend the Brown Palace, the State Capitol, the Bascillica, Larimer Square and the Denver Zoo for historic. Modern - The Denver Art Museum, the Museum of Contemporary Art, 27th floor of the Hyatt, Denver Center for Performing Arts (I think Avenue Q and Jersey Boys are in town, but check dates and times), Snooze for breakfast and Steuben's or 17th Avenue Grill for dinner, Taqeria Patzcuaro for true Mexican, Bang or Lola in the Highlands for modern cusines, art galleries on Santa Fe Drive, Cherry Creek Mall and Cherry Creek North for high end shopping (think Biltmore Fashion Square and Scottsdale Mall). Labor Day will find the Taste of Colorado Festival in Civic Center Park. I like Phoenix but not much in the way of historical building to check out as it is a relatively young city with development but enormous in size. The temps will begin to cool significanly in September and if you are here late in the month, you may see snow. Quick mountain drives - Lookout Mountain, Mount Evans, Roxborough Park, Boulder Flatirons/Boulder Canyon and the Boulder falls, Vail is about 1.5 hours away, Aspen 4.5, Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park 2 hours - best drive Trail Ridge Road.

Hope this helps!

Denver Aztec

Old 08-10-2008, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 15,438 times
Everyone is so helpful! I am getting some really good ideas from those of you who have replied. Thank you all so much for taking the time out for me. If anyone has more ideas, keep them coming!!!

Old 04-29-2009, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 8,154 times
Default day trip to Winter Park, Grand Lake & Rocky Mountain National Park

Great area to take a drive only 1-2 hours I have done the balloon rides in Winter Park they are fun!

Old 04-30-2009, 01:17 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,295,136 times
My suggestion was going to be head to Summit County. Your mom could walk around downtown Breckenridge while you enjoy the outdoors.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,107 times
I have gotten a lot of really great ideas from this post! I am so glad I found it. Now my next step is finding a cheap hotel or a hotel with some deals for the weekend. I am excited for downtown Breckenridge

Old 08-12-2010, 01:37 PM

3,911 posts, read 5,328,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmith2413 View Post
I have gotten a lot of really great ideas from this post! I am so glad I found it. Now my next step is finding a cheap hotel or a hotel with some deals for the weekend. I am excited for downtown Breckenridge
I always use travelocity for hotel deals. usually in denver I end up at a nice hotel like Sheraton in the Tech Center area, but sometimes downtown too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver