U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 10:12 PM

943 posts, read 9,899 times
Default Retiring in Denver area

Just looking for some input to this topic, Denver may or may not seem like a retirement spot to anyone but me, I don't know. I have exhausted looking at the usual warm retirement areas of the USA. FLA, Ariz, you know the places. All have serious problems I don't want to deal with, severe over population, cost of livings starting to skyrocket, especially Florida, or simply put very little infrastucture. Going from my house to the car to a store and back home is not my idea of retirement, I want to be able to walk and get out and do things, and have access to public transit that is being extended. I don't find any of this in the southern areas of the usa. I want a place with numerous parks such as Denver has, and activities and clubs or various interests such as Denver has, and a actual downtown such as Denver. Has anyone else lost interest in the usual warm climate areas of the country for Denver or other areas of colorado. I currently live in Portland, dont' want to retire in the rain for 9 to 10 months of the year. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 08:53 AM

8,386 posts, read 17,848,910 times
There are several Active adult communities in the Denver Metro Area.

Riverwalk in Littleton townhomes, golf course homes and condos in a three story building with underground parking and an elevator.

The Hilton is building in HR off University. High End.

Erickson is building a new highrise off of C-470 and Santa Fe.

Glen Eagles is a small part of HR mostly golf course properties either sfr or duplexes.

Eagle Bend is a newer finished community off E-470 golf course, lots of activities.

Anthem Ranch building sfr, well known for it's retirement activities located at the edge of Broomfield near Erie.

For living cheaply there are some older Active Adult Communities like Heather Ridge in Aurora.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:00 PM

Thank you for your input.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:28 AM

5,648 posts, read 9,720,494 times
Just a little "word of wisdom"......I work for a healthcare company in Denver that takes care of retirees/seniors and I have found out that a number of them, if they could, would not be living here due to our winters. And, it's not just because of the harsh winter we are having this year, it is mostly ANY type of winter. That is why so many retirees/seniors DO live in warm climates during the winter months, like my brother and his wife. But, they are lucky, they have a small trailer in FL during the winter months and a small house in PA during the summer months. However, they do go to PA for a week or two during Christmas, and they tell me, "that week or two is the very most we want to put up with snow/cold weather". By the way, they are both fairly active as retirees.
Then again, like what happened to me during our Holiday Blizzard.....I fell on some snow/ice and now may have to have surgery on my shoulder. I also have a hip replacement that cold weather can/does now affect. We love living in a house, but can barely handle shoveling snow anymore and even using our snowblower can be "physically challengeing" (depending on the amount of snow there is). Once a person gets to that retiree/senior age, the bones get much more fragil and it gets much easier to strain/tear muscles/tendons from falling on snow/ice. We are (58 me/59 wife) and can do numerous things during the summer months including putting our fishing/ski boat out on a lake and having tons of fun.
We are NOT telling anyone "don't move here", but for us, even the so-called "mild" winters the Denver metro area has, are just taking to much of a toll on us physically and financially.
And as far as the cost-of-living here, obviously it isn't as high as some areas of the U.S., but it is going up (gradually or whatever.....we are noticing it.
Good Luck in whereever you decided to spend your "Senior Years", but ours won't be here.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:37 AM

Default You make alot of sense

Yes, I understand where you are coming from. I only turned my attention to Denver, after much research and visits to the warm regions of the usa, I really could not deal with the problems that florida has. Since for me where I decide to retire to, it is a year round deal, I won't be going there just for the winters, Im not in that income bracket. I do prefer areas that are warm, but I just don't seem to be able to find any of them appealing. One of my major problems with the usual retirement areas, are the lack of infrastructure and the constant dependence on the car, never anything just for a pedestrian to get out and walk, and they are no longer affordable areas, I am finding too many people wanting to leave florida and arizona, that is a red warning flag. I am 57 now, so I hope we all find that place we will have a comfort zone in, but yes I understand what you mean about the cold climates. Thanks and good luck to both of you.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:35 AM

2,755 posts, read 8,206,913 times
I can see some retirees having a great time in Colorado -- after all, former President Gerald Ford settled in Vail of all places -- I guess he wasn't scared of cold weather.

I personally think our cities are a lot more livable than than some of the sun-belt cities further south, but that's just my opinion, and for the record I'm in my 30s -- if I was retired the importance of a warm climate might mean more to me than other factors.

But, I think most retirees (like my parents) seem to be more sensitive to the winters than I am. That's why they've settled on New Mexico now, and even that was something of a compromise -- my Mom wanted to move to south florida or something where there would not even be the briefest hint of winter, but my Dad didn't want to move so far from our relatives in Colorado. (My grandmother seems to be doing just fine in Colorado though but she's lived here her whole life!)

We're a pretty young state -- you hang around here and you see a lot more people in their 20s-30s than you do in their 60s-70s. Kind of the opposite of Florida that way. Just an observation.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
I personally think our cities are a lot more livable than than some of the sun-belt cities further south, but that's just my opinion, and for the record I'm in my 30s -- if I was retired the importance of a warm climate might mean more to me than other factors.

But, I think most retirees (like my parents) seem to be more sensitive to the winters than I am. That's why they've settled on New Mexico now, and even that was something of a compromise -- my Mom wanted to move to south florida or something where there would not even be the briefest hint of winter, but my Dad didn't want to move so far from our relatives in Colorado. (My grandmother seems to be doing just fine in Colorado though but she's lived here her whole life!)

We're a pretty young state -- you hang around here and you see a lot more people in their 20s-30s than you do in their 60s-70s. Kind of the opposite of Florida that way. Just an observation.
Yes, being in your 30's, you don't even have to think about where you will retire to/live the rest of your life. For a lot of folks in their 50's plus, even the so-called "mild" winters here can be to much. The winters in NC are even milder than they are here.
Another thing you are right about, is the age bracket in Colorado.....young! We have been here (Denver metro) for the last 4 1/2 yrs and have definitely noticed that. Some areas in FL and NC can definitely have an older age than here. Your observation is CORRECT.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:59 AM

16,895 posts, read 22,558,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
Just looking for some input to this topic, Denver may or may not seem like a retirement spot to anyone but me, I don't know. I have exhausted looking at the usual warm retirement areas of the USA. FLA, Ariz, you know the places. All have serious problems I don't want to deal with, severe over population, cost of livings starting to skyrocket, especially Florida, or simply put very little infrastucture. ... Thanks
Actually, you couldn't pick a BETTER place to retire than Colorado, and Denver is the BEST place of all to be.

I've been retired since I hit age 55, back in 2003, and I'm not going anywhere near the high-heat, high-humidity, high-cost retirement that is the typical story-board for FL, AZ, NV, etc. I'm not ready for early bird dinners at Wolfie's in Miami (been there, GREAT place, love it) or Danny's in Bal Harbor (been there...etc) nor am I ready for shuffleboard or knitting or endless golf, fishing, pinochle, poker, or drinking... no sir, gimme a GREAT CITY and a REAL life. If we had a bit more money, we'd have ended up in LoDo in the heart of everything in Denver... never a dull moment. If we had millions, we be in a brownstone near Central Park in the Big Apple... now THAT's civilized life!

I got all those "best places to retire" books and they're crap...full of places out in the middle of nowhere, so what if taxes are low in some of those places, there isn't much to do at a lot of them.

Best book I ever got was Cities Ranked and Rated, written by Sperling and published by Frommers. The real deal. Gives tons of hard data and facts on over 400 cities, not dinky places in nowhere, but REAL cities where you can have a GREAT life.

Long story short, read the rest of my story, criteria and methods for choosing this state by going to this posting:
Why Choose Colorado Springs?

Sounds like you are on the same path that we were on a few years ago, we both came to the same conclusion: Colorado.

s/Mike from back east

Old 01-29-2007, 11:07 AM

56 posts, read 137,150 times
I live in the south now, but when I retire in two years at 57, I plan on being in Denver. It was not even on my list, but rose to the top pretty fast. Denver has four seasons, a decent mass transit system, parks, museums, great public library, & is looking to the future. No taxes on part of the pension, good hospitals and close to lots of outdoor action. I am looking at the Riverfront area by Commons Park, Lodo, Uptown, Golden Triangle and Cheeseman Park. At this stage of my life, I am looking forward to having a condo, but not in a retirement community. (denverinfill.com is a good website to check out.)

Last edited by webster; 01-29-2007 at 11:22 AM..

Old 01-29-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Actually, you couldn't pick a BETTER place to retire than Colorado, and Denver is the BEST place of all to be.

I've been retired since I hit age 55, back in 2003, and I'm not going anywhere near the high-heat, high-humidity, high-cost retirement that is the typical story-board for FL, AZ, NV, etc. I'm not ready for early bird dinners at Wolfie's in Miami (been there, GREAT place, love it) or Danny's in Bal Harbor (been there...etc) nor am I ready for shuffleboard or knitting or endless golf, fishing, pinochle, poker, or drinking... no sir, gimme a GREAT CITY and a REAL life. If we had a bit more money, we'd have ended up in LoDo in the heart of everything in Denver... never a dull moment. If we had millions, we be in a brownstone near Central Park in the Big Apple... now THAT's civilized life!

I got all those "best places to retire" books and they're crap...full of places out in the middle of nowhere, so what if taxes are low in some of those places, there isn't much to do at a lot of them.

Best book I ever got was Cities Ranked and Rated, written by Sperling and published by Frommers. The real deal. Gives tons of hard data and facts on over 400 cities, not dinky places in nowhere, but REAL cities where you can have a GREAT life.

Long story short, read the rest of my story, criteria and methods for choosing this state by going to this posting:
Why Choose Colorado Springs?

Sounds like you are on the same path that we were on a few years ago, we both came to the same conclusion: Colorado.

s/Mike from back east
Hey, sounds like you should live in Hollywood, CA (being more funny than offense to you). Fortunately, due to my fall on the ice/snow and most likely a shoulder surgery to come......my wife and I TOTALLY disagree with you. But that is ok, that is what this Forum is all about.......different insights/opinions to chose from.
Listen, all it takes is one fall on ice/snow, pain of the injury and the cost of a surgery and a lot of people in their 50's plus will agree with me: There are other places (nicer places) to live in retirement than in Denver. Now remember, this is OUR OPINION and that is what this Forum is for......to express that.
My wife's mom, who is 86 and lives in Fountain Valley, CA, says "you can have that ice/snow, I'm glad you two (wife and I) are moving. I had enough of that crappy weather when we lived in Detroit, Michigan years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver