Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 07:21 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
ack them in a small space with a bunch of sidewalks (that exist in EVERY FREAKING DENVER NEIGHBORHOOD ANYWAY)
Incorrect. There are quite a few areas within the city limits that lack sidewalks. Much of the development in the 50's east of Colorado lacks sidewalks. Moreover, these areas seem to be missing the miles of concrete and pebble pathways, parks, playgrounds, tennis courts, etc.

Quote:
Stapleton is soon to be passé.
Yes as oil prices rise I suspect you are correct, people are going to move further from the city and services.

Quote:
Stapleton is typical "suburban sprawl"... only it lies within the City and County of Denver.
Which makes it neither suburban nor sprawl. In fact it is the answer to the problem that is suburban sprawl.

Quote:
"Buy a less expensive house that is relatively close to shopping and recreation(pretty much anywhere in the metro area)..."
You lose out on the afformentioned benefits of the area and will certainly never match the energy effeciency of an Energy Star certified home. As energy prices are only going up and many Denver homes were built into the 60's with zero insulation ...

Quote:
as you have said. I prefer the real neighborhoods where the real ethnic stores and basic economical shopping is available,
Colfax, Aurora Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 08:43 AM

27 posts, read 119,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apa1128 View Post
Bradburn1, after doing a little more research about Bradburn, I feel I have to come see it. It's very similar to our current neighborhood, except we have no park space or shops. I also like that you can build a custom home. I have two questions for you:
What is the drive time to the airport?
If you buy some dirt in Bradburn, how long do you have to build?

Thanks!

Bradburn and other areas in northwest Denver may be a little far for a daily commute to the airport area unless you're comfortable with that. The fastest way may be the toll road as it will avoid a lot of traffic (but that is fairly expensive daily). I-25 to 270 to 70 to Pena to DIA is 30-40 minutes if there is no traffic. 104th is more direct but it is slower back roads. Bradburn1 might know a better route from there though. I know there is an airport bus from 120th/Wagon Road and a different one from Broomfield/Church Ranch/Westminster.

I agree with the other people that are several other great areas in Denver. But you do seem to be leaning for the new urbanism and I think that's fine. They all seem like good family neighborhaoods.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:08 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
But you know what rubbed me the wrong way? When people began popping their tops in both University Park and Wash Park, creating humungous monstrosities where there used to be single-story bungalows or cozy Tudors. In doing that, these home "improvers" created value that formerly did not exist. But what value, and at what cost to the neighborhood vernacular?
We looked at a home for rent a while back in the 'Wellshire' neighborhood. The house itself was quite modest, as were many others on the block. The woman renting it out said we could only stay there 6 months however, because she was trying to time the market right to do a scrape and build, like many others had done in the area. I find it outrageous and ironic that on a single block you can find homes in the low $300K range in value, and either next door or across the street you can find another (McMansion), worth $1.5M.

That little experience had us running back to Aurora to look for somewhere to live. Not that we couldn't have found something in Denver, Aurora is just more convenient to work, and has turned out and continued to be a great choice for us.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:02 PM

204 posts, read 578,672 times
The thing that concerns me about Stapleton is that once you leave the 'bubble' it is not in a good area. That to me is not worth spending the $$$. I'd rather have a farther commute in a similar neighborhood for the sake of my daughters safety and school choices. I am open to other areas, but I am not open to the "McMansion" idea. We have enough of those in ATL.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
The thing that concerns me about Stapleton is that once you leave the 'bubble' it is not in a good area. That to me is not worth spending the $$$. I'd rather have a farther commute in a similar neighborhood for the sake of my daughters safety and school choices. I am open to other areas, but I am not open to the "McMansion" idea. We have enough of those in ATL.
Well, at least the "bubble" is fairly large.

To the north, and east you have some industrial areas, as well as Montbello (there's plenty of trash talk about Montbello here on the forum, some of it probably deserved, but most of it overblown)

To the south and east you have North Aurora, and the East Colfax neighborhood, neither with great reputations, but I feel safe enough there, but most people don't.

To the south and west you have the well regarded (older home) neighborhood of Park Hill, Denver's first integrated neighborhood, mostly middle and upper middle class, but you can find some mansions in there as well.

To the south and west you have the northern areas of Park Hill, Park Hill becomes less desirable the further north you go, kind of slowly decaying into a industrial area as you drive north.

There is some gentrification occuring nearby, but take from that what you will....

If you were to consider Lowry, the same issue exists, but I believe in a much more shocking way. The change is very noticeable as soon as you cross E 11th Ave, and the Aurora city limits, respectively. Neighborhoods to the south and west are quite nice, however.

I think in your price range, like I said before the more established neighborhoods are your best bet, unless you wanted to spend far less. Many folks that live near the airport don't have $500K to spend on a house.

I suggest you take a trip out here and find what suits you.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:14 PM

Not a good area? That is a misconception. Between Stapelton and the city proper you have some of the nicest areas in Denver. Park Hill, Hale, Montclair, Congress Park to name a few.

Yes Aurora to the north and east off of Colfax is viewed by some as not the nicest area, the same can be said of Northeast Park Hill; but I know plenty of folks who have never had any issues with these areas; my night-time bike route takes me through these areas frequently and I've never experienced any issues.

I'd like to think it was something different, but my conclusion is that often people who did not grow up with diversity or fail to embrace its many benefits often label areas where they see non-white people walking around as unsafe. A sad bit of racism that has large consequences for everyone.

Walking around Stapleton virtually every single house has a stroller or two on the front porch and it seems two children. I'd argue these people don't share your concerns about safety.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Not a good area? That is a misconception. Between Stapelton and the city proper you have some of the nicest areas in Denver. Park Hill, Hale, Montclair, Congress Park to name a few.
Well, in the case of the last three, Stapleton doesn't border these areas, but are within a few miles.

Quote:
I'd like to think it was something different, but my conclusion is that often people who did not grow up with diversity or fail to embrace its many benefits often label areas where they see non-white people walking around as unsafe. A sad bit of racism that has large consequences for everyone.
I couldn't agree more, though many of the folks who practice this type of thinking would never admit it. Aurora is an example of this.

Quote:
Walking around Stapleton virtually every single house has a stroller or two on the front porch and it seems two children. I'd argue these people don't share your concerns about safety.
I'd venture to say these people aren't walking their kids into North Aurora, East Colfax or Montbello, however.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:29 PM

118 posts, read 403,400 times
Not sure if anyone has mentioned the Reunion area on 104th between Chambers and Tower. But when you consider proximity to the airport it's hard to beat. The homes are very nice, and at the $500K price range you're able to buy a terrific house.

It IS suburban sprawl, however access to downtown is easy (a good bit better than it was at 120th and I-25 actually), the neighborhoods are nice with several "pocket parks" and larger parks nearby. It's still an upcoming area, so you do have to drive a little bit for shopping (say to the .

Overall the wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed our house, the active community and amenities (excellent pool and rec center), and our neighbors are awesome. I've heard the charter school is good, but we don't have kids, so I couldn't tell you from experience. Otherwise there are other public schools in the area.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:40 PM

618 posts, read 1,365,672 times
Quote:
my family may be relocating from Atlanta to Denver. We are interested in green building and sustainable neighborhoods. We would also like to be close to the city. My husband would be working near DIA. Lowry and Stapleton look desirable. How are these areas? Are they safe for young children and a good place to raise a family? We are in the $500K+ range for a home and it looks like you can get something really nice there. All comments appreciated!
I think that this thread got a bit off topic...

Both Stapleton and Lowry are very nice neighborhoods. They are both surrounded by a variety of nice, well established neighborhoods and neighborhoods that are up and coming. Stapleton is massive and has quite the variety of homes in addition to plenty of shopping options. From what I have heard the schools are quite nice. IMO, Lowry has some really nice options for someone with deep pockets. However, the commute is a bit further away from DIA and there are less shopping options. I frequent the Rec Center at Lowry, which I feel is great asset to the community, especially if you have kids. Both communities are very walkable. Both communities are a stone's throw away from all the excitement of the city. Given the situation you outlined in your post, you can't go wrong with either option.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Not sure if anyone has mentioned the Reunion area on 104th between Chambers and Tower. But when you consider proximity to the airport it's hard to beat. The homes are very nice, and at the $500K price range you're able to buy a terrific house.
A solid option that we all overlooked. However, I do have one beef with that area. For years Denver has had a great little race track, Second Creek in that vicinity. Rundown and small, it was still a fantastic diversion for those who like spending 40 bucks and a couple of hours on a race track driving at illegal speeds.

DIA is built. Fast forward 7 years and they started throwing up houses near Second Creek. Fast forward another year and people who purchased houses in the area begin to complain about the noise of the race track .... which has been there for decades.

This is the same mentality I have watched kill small regional airports for years. In fact the folks in Boulder have actually taken to vandalism on the airfield, on a few occassions breaking the rather expensive canopies of the boulder soaring assocations gliders which are rather unfortunatly stored tied down outside with just partial canvas covers.

I'm not blaming you in particular. And I do agree that area is very close to the airport and if you are into bicycling ideally situated for long, hilly country rides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver