Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 01:10 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,474,722 times

Advertisements

This is one of the best Vietnamese restaurants I've been to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
As far as I've been able to find, Indus Imports is the only place in western Denver that sells authentic Indian spices (otherwise you have to go to Aurora, or north in/near Boulder):
Quote:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 01:12 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,232,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
It's chile time.

I was driving on Federal Blvd today, and saw that the chile roasters are out, all along the street. Lots of vendors are offering buy one bushel, get one free. I even noticed a couple that are buy one bushel, get two free.

Many of them offer a choice of chiles; you can get chiles grown in Brighton, Pueblo, or Hatch, New Mexico. The smell of the roasting chiles is tantalizing.
Thanks for bringing this up, suzco. Yes, it is that time of the year! This is one of the few traditions that Colorado shares in common with our neighboring state to the south. I just bought 2 bags of the stuff last week, 2 different kinds. The Pueblo seemed ferociously hot to me, tasted kind of like jalapenos, the Hatch chile tasted just right. The bag I got was starting to turn red, kind of a red/green mix. Didn't know that they grow chiles in Brighton-- where did you find those? Problem I've run into is once you get the bag (which is frickin HUGE-- big enough for a restaurant), what do you do with it? When I froze it the whole thing turned into a giant hunk of ice, making it impossible to take out just a few chiles. Do you peel off the charred skin before or after freezing?

Has anyone else here ever thought that roasted chiles smell a lot like mary jane?-- or so I've been told-- not that I'd have the faintest idea what that smells like.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:32 PM

2,885 posts, read 7,103,202 times
Quote:
Thanks for bringing this up, suzco. Yes, it is that time of the year! This is one of the few traditions that Colorado shares in common with our neighboring state to the south. I just bought 2 bags of the stuff last week, 2 different kinds. The Pueblo seemed ferociously hot to me, tasted kind of like jalapenos, the Hatch chile tasted just right. The bag I got was starting to turn red, kind of a red/green mix. Didn't know that they grow chiles in Brighton-- where did you find those? Problem I've run into is once you get the bag (which is frickin HUGE-- big enough for a restaurant), what do you do with it? When I froze it the whole thing turned into a giant hunk of ice, making it impossible to take out just a few chiles. Do you peel off the charred skin before or after freezing?

Has anyone else here ever thought that roasted chiles smell a lot like mary jane?-- or so I've been told-- not that I'd have the faintest idea what that smells like.
I peel and seed them, then freeze them in small batches. (If you like, you can leave some with seeds in for hot salsa and such.) If you have a freezer that lets you fit a cookie sheet or the like in, you can freeze them flat (line the cookie sheet and layer with parchment or wax paper) then once they're frozen as individual chiles, pack them away in the freezer and you can take out as many as you need each time.

Several of the vendors had the Brighton chiles; If I remember, one was quite far south, almost at Hampden, on the west side of Federal. Another was farther north, on the east side of Federal.

Smells like mary jane? Wonder if chile brownies would work. . .

Last edited by suzco; 08-28-2009 at 01:45 PM..

Old 08-28-2009, 01:45 PM

664 posts, read 2,057,993 times
Quote:

I love roasted chili's. Picked up some roasted ones from Whole Foods last week and my wife made some great green chili. I can just taste how good it would be with authentic ones. How much does one of those bags run?

Old 08-28-2009, 01:51 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,232,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilicheesefries View Post
I love roasted chili's. Picked up some roasted ones from Whole Foods last week and my wife made some great green chili. I can just taste how good it would be with authentic ones. How much does one of those bags run?
One place I went to, which was on the west side of Federal, a few blocks south of Invesco Field, was charging $28 for a monster size bag. At another place, in the Avanza supermarket parking lot, it was $20 for the "small" bag (which was still huge) and $35 for the gigantic one.

Do you know where I can buy just a few fresh chiles, not a whole bag, to cook up on the grill with the rest of dinner at home? Do they sell them individually at Whole Foods? I noticed a few weeks ago they had some at Sunflower Market, but they didn't look very good and had flies all over them-- now they took it away.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:53 PM

664 posts, read 2,057,993 times
Quote:
One place I went to, which was on the west side of Federal, a few blocks south of Invesco Field, was charging $28 for a monster size bag. At another place, in the Avanza supermarket parking lot, it was $20 for the "small" bag (which was still huge) and $35 for the gigantic one.

Do you know where I can buy just a few fresh chiles, not a whole bag, to cook up on the grill with the rest of dinner at home? Do they sell them individually at Whole Foods? I noticed a few weeks ago they had some at Sunflower Market, but they didn't look very good and had flies all over them-- now they took it away.
In my experience Sunflower Market produce often doesn't look so good. Whole foods has fresh chili's 10 lb/$10 ($1/pound) and they also have fresh roasted ones for the same price so I got some of both. They've good the roasters outside and they tasted darn good. They should still have some although they always have the countdown signs (x days left to get your hatch chilis). The pre-roasted chilis were in packages around $2.50 - $4.00/each, so that should give you an idea of the quantities.

I've also seen them, at King Soopers & Safeway and they looked good, but Whole Foods had the best looking ones of the batch.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:08 AM

49 posts, read 104,990 times
Wow! Thank you so much for posting this thread! I'm appalled by the person who wrote the comment about the area looking like a third world country. They OBVIOUSLY have never been to a third world country.

Anyways, my fiance and I are hoping to plant our roots in Denver, someday, when we're finally ready to stay put somewhere. I'm so happy to see there is a stronger mix of culture than I thought. We had lived in El Paso, Texas and I fell in love with the Mexican food and everything their mix of markets had to offer. Chilis from Hatch New Mexico (which was a short drive away) are amazing! I'm so excited to see I will still be able to get this amazing food. Also, we've been living in India for the past year and will most likely be there for another year and I'm happy to see "indus imports" will allow me to find some authentic indian spices. Thanks everyone!

Old 08-30-2009, 02:49 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,349,571 times
Quote:

You can buy those at any grocery market but I go to Liborio
Liborio They always have a good selection. Or just ask the guy at the stand to sell you some not roasted.

Flies and Insects are good--if they are alive then the the produce is good to eat; real organic and natural. If they dead, ah, perhaps they will kill you. It is like the canary in the cage to detect the gas in the mine. For a real natural experience, eat the insects too.

Livecontent

Old 08-30-2009, 04:12 PM

17,900 posts, read 27,290,637 times
Hey Vegas, it looks like you bought a whole bushel. Last year at the Pueblo Chile and Frijoles Festival I bought a half bushel... for about 15 bucks I think. Like you say, they made a green chile that would burn your face off... or at least cure a good cold. So what you do is take about one part New Mexico Hatch and 1 part Pueblo chiles and make your green with that... and it will still be a little hot. If you went say, 2 hatch to 1 Pueblo, that would have plenty of heat for most.

I take and clean the skin off the chiles and remove the stem and some seeds and bag them up in batches... as has been suggested here by suzco and others.

But it sounds like you want some handy now. Do you have a Grocery Warehouse handy? We have one in Pueblo... though they call it an Albertsons now. It had some good hatch chiles in the cooler that I used to mix with my hot Pueblo chiles and my wife and I made a nice batch of green chile which we just finished the other day.

I learned a trick from her and she from me. I like to twice cook the pork and she has a way of thickening up the chile a bit. I like to brown up the pork shoulder up a bit on the stove before I throw it into the chile. She mixes a bit of flour and a bit of chicken broth... stirs that together, and only adds that after the chile has cooked for a while...near the end. She only adds the flour mixture after she's brought the stuff to a slight boil, then cools it back down. This seems to thicken it up just right.

Now I think I'm gonna go buy a pork shoulder and make a batch.

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-30-2009 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: This batch here will be a bit hot, but ok for me.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:29 PM

2,885 posts, read 7,103,202 times
All this talk about chiles, and where to get them, reminded me of a good site; here's a link to DenverGreenChili that has a list of farms that grow chiles, the varieties they grow, where you can find their chiles, and it even includes addresses for many of the stands along Federal and which farms supply them (to bring it back on topic for the awesome Federal Photo Tour).

DenverGreenChili:Farms (http://denvergreenchili.com/farms.aspx - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver