Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:04 AM

8 posts, read 49,708 times

Advertisements

I recently landed a great job after graduating college and made the move from San Diego to Denver. I was reading some posts about good places for young, single professionals to live but they were all from a few years ago. I am in my early 20's and I am looking to live somewhere that I can walk to bars/restaurants/shops etc and meet people my age because I do not know anyone out here and I am having a hard time meeting people since I work in a very small office. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions from good places to meet people to where to live!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 11:24 AM

16 posts, read 43,731 times
1. Get out of Lonetree. 2. Judging from your age, and your myspace page, you look as though you would LOVE living around LoDo. Maybe try Highland, too (I'm talking about the neighborhood, which is across I-25 from downtown, not Highlands Ranch). 3. There definitely is a big yuppie scene. Don't worry. Just go someplace like Swanky's or LoDos or Martini Ranch, get an apartment at the Metro or Ballpark, you'll fit right in.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:41 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,483,117 times
The above places are decent enough, but Capitol Hill with access to the various bars, resteraunts and music venues is probably a better bet. Rough areas to concentrate on center around Colfax (15th ave) and run from Sherman out to York although there are some interesting places all the way out to Colorado now, the BlueBird theatre included, but the main core of folks your age are going to be between Sherman and High, 17th Ave and 11th ave.

The highlands is for slightly older folks, LoDo .. is really an abyss to live in in terms of things other than bars.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:20 PM

739 posts, read 2,949,169 times
Agree with Steve about Cap Hill but I would look around Ballpark neighborhood (north of Lodo). There is also a huge mid 20s population in Wash Park, most renters live on the West side, which is cheaper than the East Side. I'd also look in Platte Park. Both have a population of DU students- college and grad as well.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:31 PM

11 posts, read 36,798 times
Default Highland, Denver

Great neighborhoods in denver for young professionls, Highlands denver, LoHi (Lower Highland, East Highland--Zip 80211) West Highland, Potter Highland, Berkely, Cap. Hill. All are walking distance to Bars, Restaurants etc.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:59 PM

LoHi and Highlands are older in terms of your average age and lack the concert venues, varied bars and concentration of young pros that Capitol Hill has.

They are were the kids move to when they couple up and get a dog, before having kids and moving again.

A generalism .... but ....

Also, good call on the DU area. Lot's of stuff going on there and a bit further south if that is important.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:05 PM

16 posts, read 43,731 times
I don't think of the Hill as a yuppie neighborhood. Most of the people I know here, yes, are young, but are still in school, and generally work in the service industry. This was different from what I noticed living in the Highland, or Ballpark, the latter of which being where I landed when I first came out here. Turned out to be way too popped collar, "omg, look at my _insert material object here_, I'm the assistant manager at a bank just out of college how awesome am I?" for me. Wash park is also a good option, I'd think, for you. As for meeting people... what are you looking for? You can 'meet' a ton of people at, say, lodo bars, but it's an exercise in futility if you're looking for some real concrete relationships. My experience is that your friends are gonna come from all over (work, play, for me, school, too). I was in a similar situation as you a couple years ago when I moved out, only, I'm finishing up school out here (moved after a stint in the Air Force). It's pretty easy to make a nice, varied group of friends. Obviously there is tons to do here, as well. And perfect weather to top it off.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:35 PM

11 posts, read 36,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
LoHi and Highlands are older in terms of your average age and lack the concert venues, varied bars and concentration of young pros that Capitol Hill has.

They are were the kids move to when they couple up and get a dog, before having kids and moving again.

A generalism .... but ....

Also, good call on the DU area. Lot's of stuff going on there and a bit further south if that is important.

I agree somewhat. I lived in Cap Hill for 5 years and loved it too, but like LoHi much better, just my opinion.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I agree somewhat. I lived in Cap Hill for 5 years and loved it too, but like LoHi much better, just my opinion.
It's a great, great area with a lot of great things. I'm just trying to respond to the request as if I was back in that situation ... which I was.

I really wish we had been smart enough to make the move to the highlands 8 years ago (when we had a dog ... and I would have stayed with the kids myself ...).

Old 08-21-2008, 05:38 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times
Have I missed it? Have you said where you work (not the business, the location)? That might also influence the exact "best" location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver