U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-27-2008, 01:13 PM

3,531 posts, read 6,333,037 times

Advertisements

I agree with you about pockets of diversity. I think that's what's most bothersome to me when it comes to diversity in Denver. It feels very white and middle-class to me, but as others have argued, there are definite areas of diversity.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 01:21 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,741,096 times
So yes, to answer the OP, I feel like I'm living in a white ghetto.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:39 PM

118 posts, read 257,311 times
Racial tensions or not, Denver is a very far cry from anything in Detroit. There is nothing like the abandoned warehouse and auto plant areas, the severe gang problems, areas of utter destitution, etc...

And, maybe most influentially, we don't have a corrupt police force or mayor who tries to blame everything on race.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:09 AM

615 posts, read 2,166,585 times
Too bad people are still so preocupied with the color of one's skin, be it their own or for others. That just perpetuates this problem.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:30 PM

8,127 posts, read 10,156,281 times
My whole department (300+) is being relocated to Denver, we have folks from Florida, California and Texas moving there, we bring Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Persians, Asians and AA's to Littleton in 09. Prepare yourselves for the influx of affluent diversity .

Hopefully this is a good thing, if not, blame the economy not us .

Last edited by Mach50; 08-28-2008 at 12:52 PM..

Old 08-28-2008, 01:14 PM

1,598 posts, read 2,160,673 times
I'm only been in the area 3 years now, and we live way down in Lone Tree - far from most of the perceived "rough" areas. I've driven through Commerce City, parts of Aurora, and other areas that I've been told are ghettos. They honestly didn't look like ghettos to me. Run down and rough, sure. But not ghettos in my opinion.

I grew up in the San Jose bay area in CA. Having driven through parts of Oakland, SF, and other areas in the east SF bay area, the rough areas here don't bother me at all. You get the sense that people here tend to consider areas with a higher population of black or brown skinned people ghetto just because they are no predominantly white. But in reality, that really isn't the case. The term "ghetto" here in Denver is relative to what people are used to and here it's not bad at all.

And from what I've seen (and we paid a lot of attention to this with my wife being Hispanic) people are quite welcoming to all races out here. We are very happy with the Denver area and feel that race really isn't an issue compared to most places.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Status: "It's peanut-butter-jelly time, peanut-butter-jelly time!" (set 25 days ago)

7,054 posts, read 4,080,574 times
This is a bit of a thread hijack, so I'm sorry. :-D I was just wondering when the recreation center in Commerce City was built? I don't think it was there last time I was there before a couple months ago. Last time I was there was a few years ago, and I don't remember seeing it, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention??

Anyway, Commerce City looks better in my opinion than it did even three years ago.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:15 AM

Try starting a new thread, hijacks aren't so good !

Old 08-29-2008, 12:42 PM

402 posts, read 820,404 times
I hate labeling people based on race/religion/etc, but since I've lived all around the country I can understand how it's sometimes difficult for people from other cities to comprehend Denver not having the same issues on the subjects.

To the point before some background here: I see Denver as a place were race/religion are a live and let live attitude. It seems like Denver is one of the best cities where people live together in neighborhoods with similar ideals and income levels. Whether you're hispanic, white, african american, or "other" (as the government labels it) and whether you're catholic, muslim, atheist, mormon, etc it doesn't matter. I truely see Denver as a community of people that embody the true spirit of America of tolerance. That's not to say we have to really "tolerate" anything though, because everyone seems to understand we are all human and trying to do what is best for our families. There's this unsaid understanding that the person next to you in line is trying to live the best life they can and no matter their religious beliefs or color of their skin have the same ideals on what a "good" citizen is.

Now with that said, I'm a "white", middle class, male and originally from Jersey. I've lived near Newark in a town where I was the minority. I've also lived down the Jersey Shore where it's primarily white in the summer and then many areas become section 8 housing in the winter. I've lived in North Carolina, where it was clear there was still some issues with Yankees vs Southerners going on (not that all [or even the majority] of people are like that, but there's still a sence of it sometimes). I've also lived in areas like Santa Barbara where it's primarily white, but because I was "lower income" at that time in my career there was an atmosphere that I wasn't 'good enough' to be there because I couldn't afford to go to some restaurants/shops on State Street.

Denver is diverse in heritage because of it's history and location. I think it's centralized location of being 'close' (compared to places on the east and mid-west) to Mexico along with all classes of people traveling through during the gold/silver rush era gave a perfect breeding ground for the atmosphere we have now.

Perhaps the biggest divide between people is not anything most cities have ever experienced in our generation. Perhaps it's the divide between 'natives' and 'transplants'? But even that, I don't think there is a true divide. I'm obviously a transplant and I give utmost respect to those vehicals I see with the Pioneer license plates. I don't think there's any divide between people, and I think it's common in Denver to ask someone "Where are you from?" since we all know so many of us are transplants The natives should be proud for what they have established here; they've developed a major city that's become the essence of the United States of what most cities have lost... tolerance.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:23 PM

Zionvier: I found your post interesting. I do think a huge clash is here, natives vs. transplants. It's been going on since I was a kid. I sort of feel proud when people look amazed when I tell them I'm a native. It's like I'm special. haha

Anyway, think about this, although it's a little off topic. Tolerance. I always adapted that word as if it was the right word. Until I had this prof. tell me she hated that word. She is a lesbian. She said that the word made her cringe because it meant that people like her were tolerated, as if saying, well, I still hate you but I'll tolerate you. It made me think differently. I don't think that's where you were going with that word, but I thought it was of interest to talk about it.

I'm uncertain whether what other cities have lost is tolerance. I really don't know how to word what they've lost. It seems like a universal change in attitude all throughout the U.S. Interesting post though, I like what you've said.

P.S. - I'm black, and I live in Thornton too! (just to give you a little background about me). I've never lived outside this state (hence my handle??) but I've traveled extensively, mostly outside of this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver