Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:57 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,209 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing about outsiders' misconceptions about Denver (and Colorado in general.) There have been some great photos of the city and state's beauty (though I think some people find some things more attractive than others!) I thought it might be interesting to show some of the "ugly" which I'm sure will be subjective. It would be interesting to clarify some of those misconceptions and read some differing opinions about industry, smog, brown grass, blighted neighborhoods and the like...and how they relate to the history and culture of Denver and Colorado as a whole. Maybe even some then and now photos would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 10:26 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Here's a few recycled from my recent Misc. Denver metro photo tour. This is not really "bad," it's just an industrial area (Commerce City).

This photo doesn't capture it all that well, but Denver does have a major smog problem that shouldn't be downplayed. It seems like the smog backs up in certain parts of town (especially the central Platte Valley and the northwest side) more than others.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:26 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
I'm not sure what you really classify as "ugly pictures" so I'll just give you a few ideas on suffering buildings/neighborhoods.

You could probably and unfortunately get some pictures up by the 88th and Washington intersection, particularly around the Russell Blvd area. There's a handful of abandoned stores over in that area to the east of Washington that are sitting boarded up. A few vacant houses here and there around the neighborhood behind it too. That neighborhood is doing so bad right now, it's a shame. I spent my early childhood over there and when I went back there a couple of months ago and was walking around it just broke my heart. Homes of my childhood friends were sitting vacant, yards full of weeds. But yeah, if you want some "ugly" pictures that would be an area to check out. :-(

Also try the area at Broadway and Hampden. There were some boarded-up buildings over there. Also try Larimer Street downtown, past 23rd. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Osito; 08-25-2008 at 11:14 PM..

Old 08-26-2008, 08:15 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
Vegas's bottom photo is at Uni & C-470 northwest view. The spier is from the Mormon church. The strip mall has my fav sprint/nextel store. Chili's, Target, and Sunflower Market among others.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:12 AM

40 posts, read 180,371 times
Posting pictures of the worst parts of a city is great idea...
more likely an art school project than something people would typically post on this forum, but hey, I think it is a great conversation starter.

When I was living in Chicago I used to love taking pictures of old buildings and warehouses and urban decay. When I moved to Portland I found that I nolonger had subject material of that sort.

Now that I'm travelling the country, I think I might make of point of documenting urban decay in our nation's cities for the purposes of art and of course sharing. (just in case anyone wants to get a glimpse of the places they dare not go).

I'll be in Denver in a couple weeks. If I ever learn how to put pictures on this forum, I'll be sure to share.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:36 AM

970 posts, read 2,968,416 times
I think this should be bumped. I would love to see photos of Denver's worst.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:30 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
I think this should be bumped. I would love to see photos of Denver's worst.
I think the problem is Denver doesn't have much "worst".

Old 12-05-2010, 08:35 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
I keep hearing about outsiders' misconceptions about Denver (and Colorado in general.) There have been some great photos of the city and state's beauty (though I think some people find some things more attractive than others!) I thought it might be interesting to show some of the "ugly" which I'm sure will be subjective. It would be interesting to clarify some of those misconceptions and read some differing opinions about industry, smog, brown grass, blighted neighborhoods and the like...and how they relate to the history and culture of Denver and Colorado as a whole. Maybe even some then and now photos would be great.
Defiantly not the worst of Denver, but here is some native Colorado brown grass for you. Morrison with Denver in the background.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:43 PM

70 posts, read 166,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Defiantly not the worst of Denver, but here is some native Colorado brown grass for you. Morrison with Denver in the background.
I actually think those pictures are beautiful. I visited last week and thought that the huge blue sky more than made up for the lack of green. The 70 degree heat wave didn't hurt either
Attached Thumbnails
Photos PLZ: Denver's Worst-denver2.png   Photos PLZ: Denver's Worst-denver1.png  

Old 12-06-2010, 08:49 PM

70 posts, read 166,110 times
BTW - This was my second visit to Denver and after driving all over the place, I have yet to see anything truly ugly. Of course, sometimes it's hard to see clearly with these rose-colored glasses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver