U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 11:44 AM

86,920 posts, read 102,401,145 times

Advertisements

I agree with sockeye as well. We've gone a few times. My kids went there on field trips in I think 1st or 2nd grade, to see the animals and learn some CO history at the same time. My mom, from Pennsylvania, absolutely loved it when we took her. We could harldy get her away from the horse-jumping! Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack this thread, enigmakairos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 11:58 AM

17,091 posts, read 8,725,469 times
We've been to the Stock Show a few times. I love the Quarter Horse auction and seeing all the animals in general.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:59 AM

17,091 posts, read 8,725,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My mom, from Pennsylvania, absolutely loved it when we took her.
The closest thing to the Stock Show that I've been to when I lived in PA was The Farm Show in Harrisburg. That's a good time also.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:45 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,734,496 times
I also enjoy the stock show: it's a fun mid-winter activity when there isn't that much else going on.

As far as the cow town thing... I don't really see it. I think that Denver has outgrown its cowtown image (except of course, during the two weeks of the National Western stock show). There are of course, pockets that feel "cowtownish" in parts of northeastern Denver/Commerce City where the beef industry is centered. This does not reflect the feel of the metro area in general, IMO.

Most of the people I've met who think that Denver is a cowtown are some of the natives and long time residents, because that's what they remember it being decades back. Some people are very resistent to change.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:43 PM

148 posts, read 589,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack this thread, enigmakairos.
No problem. I see these types of post as at least keeping the thread bumped via keeping the discussion going. Increases the chances of someone seeing it and being able to say "Hey, go HERE for beef!"

Thanks guys

Old 08-30-2008, 07:49 PM

719 posts, read 2,355,020 times
Sam Elliot doesn't brag about our beef for nothin'!

Old 08-30-2008, 08:10 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,907,122 times
From the good folks at m-w.com:

cow town
One entry found.
cow town

Main Entry:
cow town
Function:
noun
Date:
1 : a town or city that serves as a market center or shipping point for cattle
2 : a usually small unsophisticated town within a cattle-raising area

Which honestly, Denver really doesn't fit into that realm. It is well known the moniker came mostly from easterners. Denver was a central location on the rail lines/travel routes and a big enough population to help ranchers trade and sell cattle.

La Junta is well known for it's cattle trading as is Greeley. Denver has a cattle history but the term "cowtown" still sticks even though the metro area has little to no ranching (thinking on a broad basis here) near by.

As mentioned, we aren't in the top of cattle production. Our neighbors to the east and north east (and such) produce more cattle for slaughter than we do.

As for markets, yes, it will dictate local prices based on our agri industries exporting to other states and nations. It's not that hard to figure out. Our sources are limited here and when we ship out our products, the pricing will go up locally. Heck, I am sure most of the meat in the larger chains is from out of state...

I'm not here to "argue" with an OP that seems to have already had the answer to the question he was seeking. So why bother asking.

I don't know how long you have lived here but as a Colorado native, I do have some knowledge (never mind I love Colorado history and have researched it to a comfortable degree). I may not be an economic person but as far as the "cowtown" issue, it's a misnomer that has stuck around since the early 1900s.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:14 PM

2,019 posts, read 4,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
Sam Elliot doesn't brag about our beef for nothin'!
It's not Sam anymore
The new voice is Matthew McConaughy (sp?) - yikes.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:17 PM

86,920 posts, read 102,401,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmakairos View Post
Colorado is 10th in the nation as far as cattle population. There are more ranchers here than most places.
I don't know of enig's source, but it looks like CO is a pretty big beef producer.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:59 AM

719 posts, read 2,355,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
It's not Sam anymore
The new voice is Matthew McConaughy (sp?) - yikes.
Beef and tofu kabobs, anyone?
Colorado beef is, and always will be, my favorite. NE beef is a close 2nd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or