U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Denver: increasingly superficial society, driving through storm, high cost, tourists, little stability

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 05:53 PM

394 posts, read 1,373,643 times

Advertisements

Number one, A LOT of the posts I have read on here have lead me to want to write this, a lot of people with doubt and frustration, worries, but still want to "live their dream" and go to where their heart takes them...

GOOD FOR YOU! In an increasingly superficial society, people are forgetting what living life is for. You WILL hear naysayers. People are asking me why I am moving from the Florida Keys. When I explain that it's not that I hate it here, but have seen enough over 3 years, they act as though I am leaving paradise...

JUST WHAT IS PARADISE ANYWAY?

Ask a farmer what paradise is and he or she will say when the fields' full, the locusts are out, lemonade's on the front porch, and the skies are clear.

Ask a person from Hawaii what Paradise is and they will say...here. Unless it's not THEIR version...Maybe to them paradise is powder at 14k.

To me, paradise is a place where I can connect with nature, and feel the strength of civilization at the same time. I found this out from getting increasingly frustrated from the lack of everything in the Florida Keys, except tourism.

I am moving....AH I BET A LOT OF THE MODERATORS are laughing right now, go to ANY city in the forum and there is a "Get me outta here" post. Here's a hint. Amtrack, Greyhound, the awesome US Interstate and Highway system...Please just stop trying to make other people miserable around you, and GO!

I am taking my truck, a load of dreams, putting the rest in storage and picking it up in the Spring...Spring vacation in the Keys..heh heh...and hitting the road. While a Category 4 hurricane is passing by me right now, and will hit right into my driving path, or the fragments of the storm continuing WELL into it.

So here's the thing. It's okay to dream. It's ok to be frustrated...But if today, I mean, TODAY you were to fall over dead, would you have said, I wish I had lived there? Perhaps you don't have the wanderlust as I do, but then, whether you do or not...Here's a simple wish from a tour guide who entertains hundreds of people a week and is good with the nature and personality of others...

Live your own life, cause somebody else will always want to direct yours, and tell you how to live yours, but at the end of the day, YOU are the one with the results...

My family wants nothing more than for me to move to Chicago, or back into Indiana. But my dreams are taking me to the Rockies...I'll be hiking over a mile high and smiling the whole way...I'll see ya there, unless it's not your paradise!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 05:05 PM

140 posts, read 390,277 times
Speak it my brother. Coming from tourist trap Orlando, I know what you mean. I've been wanting to leave Florida so bad that things in life keep happening that make it so I have to move out there. I was going to move in spring of next year but I got a call from my friend in CO that he needs help with starting a business as soon as the next snow hits. So it's off to the mountains which I've been wanting to return to for so long. Good luck to you driving through the storm.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:34 PM

ARRRGH! Boise looks nice too, a lot more isolated, but more like Indiana in size and manner...YIKES! My heart is set on the mountains, and there are TWO good mountain cities!

Old 09-01-2008, 09:38 PM

140 posts, read 390,277 times
Hey man, you gotta go with what your heart says. Stay in each city and go with your gut instinct.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:14 AM

6 posts, read 13,837 times
That's what's leading me to Denver. End of October, I'll be out there. I've faced a number of doubters so far, but, their doubt is their problem, and not mine.

You can always move again.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:38 PM

4 posts, read 9,488 times
I understand where the OP is coming from. I was born in Tampa, and have lived there the majority of my life. I did spend a few years in Northern Japan (military).

I looked at "why" I still live in Tampa. I couldn't find a good reason. I've traveled to many US cities over the past 10 years, and none have made me feel as good as I do when I am in Denver. I love it there (actually...here, becuase I am in denver for another 24 hours ).

I have been to key-west so many times, it makes me sick. It become a playground for the rich, the drunk, and the tourists. Locals are being run out by the high cost. If you don;t drink or fish, why be there?

Tampa has always been far enough away from Orlando to keep from the tourist, but close enough to enjoy the attractions, but being so close ruins the "magic" of the mouse.

Beaches? I don't even go.

I was offered a job in denver today, and I am seriously condsidering it. It's my dream. I want to see snow again, I want to see seasons. I'm tired of year round summer in the flatlands of Florida.

And did I mention they have basements in Denver? OMG!

Charles

Old 09-09-2008, 06:50 AM

Default Back home again in Indiana...temporarily?!

I returned to Fort Wayne after being gone for 3 years...Wow have things changed. It's back to the real world though, and a bit of a shock. I can understand why people who go down to Key West get out of the real world to the point that they don't want to go back. It's gonna hurt a bit, but I'll live!

Right now I am staying a day or two with my family in Indianapolis, and so far it's okay. I had to put my LCD tv on CL, but so far, no bites that are fair in amount. It's been a lot tougher than I thought. I tied down 90% of my stuff, left the rest in storage, and hit the road between Gustaf and Hanna.

I guess anything in THEORY is easier...but in six months, this will have been just another move, another step in life. It's tough EVERYWHERE right now, but with all the storms out there, I would have NEVER gotten enough money together to move in a good way.

Still living my dreams, but nobody said there wasn't a price...Thanks to all contributors thus far...

Funny thing is, I just miss the very little stability I had in South Florida at this point, being in Limbo. I don't miss the storms, I don't miss the bad week in tips and pay after the storms, and I don't miss the damn humidity!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:50 AM

3,530 posts, read 8,723,231 times
Sometimes grass is always greener. And Mr. Caddy, basements aren't always all that, ours has become a storage area. With that said, we have it a lot nicer than people with crawl spaces when it comes time to check out the furnace, or replace the water heater. Or make sure we have no flooding.

I do agree with Ghost, we are wanting to move to Miami in another year or two. We've had a lot of naysayers, from Florida and everywhere else, because they think that Colo. is paradise and we are nuts for wanting to leave. But like Ghost, we are sick of it here. And we've been here longer than a mere 3 yrs., try 36!!

It's a good thing to have change in your life. I think it makes us more well rounded. Besides, isn't life about taking risks??

Old 09-09-2008, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 9,488 times
I am fully aware that most basements turn into Storage, and that's fine with me. Homes in Florida have no storage space. Half of my garage and most of my office is used for "Storage"...the other half has my baby in it... a 1953 Cadillac Coupe DeVille.

The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's just a different shade of green.

Charles

Old 09-10-2008, 07:34 AM

4,550 posts, read 9,728,870 times
Our basement isn't storage . We finished ours a few years ago - bathroom and all and can't imagine not having that space. We live down there! I love having the t.v. down in the basement - it's away from everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or