U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 08:34 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,030,011 times

Advertisements

I do not believe the original poster is naive (or stupid) enough to not already know the answer to his question.

Anyone looking for a text book example of a trolling thread needs to look no further than this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 08:38 AM

274 posts, read 560,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
I do not believe the original poster is naive (or stupid) enough to not already know the answer to his question.

Anyone looking for a text book example of a trolling thread needs to look no further than this thread.
True... I was going along for the debate to help pass time at my work. My next shift partner is not even here yet and I have been here at work now for 16 hrs. I have no problem if the Mod wants to close this... I was just having fun.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:39 AM

64 posts, read 188,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post

I am sure not stupid enough or naive to buy foreign!

Old 08-31-2008, 09:52 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,736,632 times
I have been meticulous about maintaining my vehicles for as long as I have owned one. Most of my vehicles I have kept for at least 10 years and most to well over 100,000 miles. Despite that, I have had what I consider significant reliability issues with just about every American-built vehicle that I have owned in the last 25 years. I would attribute the problems to either 1) design deficiencies, or 2) shoddy assembly. My main personal experience with foreign makes has been with Toyota--and the build quality and design on those vehicles has been superior.

I still drive American vehicles because I almost always buy used. Because American makes tend to depreciate so rapidly--especially in the first couple of years, I can usually buy a 2 or 3 year old vehicle for way less than half of its new cost--which makes them a good buy compared to a used Japanese vehicle. I'm glad there are so many rental companies and gullible folks who are willing to take that kind of depreciation hit on a vehicle so that I can get a good deal.

With used trucks and SUV's, the deals are even better these days. A friend needed a replacement truck for his business. He bought one a couple of weeks ago (from a private party in Denver)--a three-year old used low-mileage 4WD pickup in excellent condition. He bought it for less than one-third of its new sticker price! That savings will buy quite a bit of fuel--even at today's prices.

I agree with another poster who noted that many Japanese brand vehicles are built in the US. US workers can build great vehicles--it's just the American "Big Three" that can't seem to get it right that often. My prediction is that at least one of the Big Three will be gone in the next few years.

PS--Anyone who thinks that the Koreans can't build decent cars should check out Hyundai. The Sonata, for one, is an excellent automobile. A friend who is a real "car enthusiast" bought one and says it is the best vehicle that he has ever owned.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:08 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,806,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's what a recall usually is, unless it is 'voluntary'. I am from western Pennsylvania, my father worked in the steel industry for his entire career. I had the same issues. However, we had a lemon of a Chevy Malibu and it soured us on American cars. Now that my father has moved on, so to speak, he can look down from heaven and understand, LOL!

BTW, I had a Ford Fiesta once. It was not an American car; it was imported from Germany. Mine was a lemon.
I lived in Pittsburgh for 3 years in the 80s. I recall seeing a sign at the entrance to a union HQ parking lot "Warning - foreign cars will be towed."

I had a Buick in the 70s and "acquired" another one in the 80s when I got married. Both were lemons. I subscribe to the old adage - fool me once shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. I've learned and it's been problem-free Japanese (whether built in Japan or the US) cars ever since.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:29 PM

92 posts, read 229,922 times
My personal economy was affected far more negatively when unloading an F-150 than it ever was selling a Honda or a BMW.

They're just better cars on almost every level. That's not to say that American cars haven't improved greatly in recent years, but there is still a difference in the intelligence of the design IMO. Amazing, considering all the innovation that America has contributed to the world, that Detroit still doesn't get this car thing.

Europe and America used to innovate where cars were concerned. Now Japan and Europe innovate and America imitates.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:36 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,821,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0457 View Post
My personal economy was affected far more negatively when unloading an F-150 than it ever was selling a Honda or a BMW.

They're just better cars on almost every level. That's not to say that American cars haven't improved greatly in recent years, but there is still a difference in the intelligence of the design IMO. Amazing, considering all the innovation that America has contributed to the world, that Detroit still doesn't get this car thing.

Europe and America used to innovate where cars were concerned. Now Japan and Europe innovate and America imitates.
The thing is, a lot of those "Japanese" cars are designed and built by Americans. They just are doing it for a well run company based in Japan instead of a dysfunctional dinosaur based in Detroit.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:44 PM

181 posts, read 534,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The thing is, a lot of those "Japanese" cars are designed and built by Americans. They just are doing it for a well run company based in Japan instead of a dysfunctional dinosaur based in Detroit.

Yes, my Honda Element was built in the US. BTW--my dad works at GM. I told him that I bought the element used. The cars I've owned built by the Big 3 have never stacked up. I would love to buy a GM, but only their luxury lines really have decent ratings. I'm getting either a VW GTI or a VW Jetta Sportwagen next. If I'm making enough money, and they come out with a hybrid version, I might consider the Cadillac CTS wagon in 4 years, or possibly the Chevy Volt--but I'm going to need to make serious coin to fork over 40 large for that!

Old 08-31-2008, 02:52 PM

58 posts, read 338,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
American cars fall apart. Japanese cars don't. Is this news?
Hmmm....News to me my old American iron is holding up just fine.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:12 PM

44 posts, read 152,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastway57 View Post
I am thankful that I live in America where I can choose what to drive and when. Yup I have more than 425 hp in my daily driver and its even an old car, I guess I dont have to worry about your screen name in my 1972 Buick. Ahhh 472 ci that runs on pump gas and is a daily driver.

And when it snows we wont talk about the Dodge Ram v-10 4x4
If you feel like you have to worry about my screen name, then you don't have enough things to worry about. I guess that helps explain how you can afford those gas guzzlers. Anyways, I'd like to be in your shoes, but I don't want to have work so I can drive, and drive so I can work, sending all my money in the process to some Saudi Arabian prince so he can build another 100 room mansion with a gold plated Mercedes in the driveway. I'd rather save it up so I can build my own someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or