Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:52 AM

23 posts, read 44,421 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will relocate shortly and want to get an idea what's the traffic like on I-25 during rush hour, sports games and snow days. 10 mph, 20 mph, 30mph..... Could anyone also point out some major congestion areas on the freeway? Also, which one is worse during rush hour: going to DTC or going to boulder? Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 12,370 times
Well there are many hot spots to worry about, during rush hour you can look at 20-30mph but if there is some sort of accident or even a broken down car it could turn into a parking lot real fast and often does.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnang View Post
Well there are many hot spots to worry about, during rush hour you can look at 20-30mph but if there is some sort of accident or even a broken down car it could turn into a parking lot real fast and often does.

20-30 mph is pretty fast @ rush hours. Even in the snow days?? By parking lot, you mean standstill or bump or bump?

Old 09-04-2008, 11:09 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,716,515 times
It's sporadic, not like the usual big city freeways that are always clogged. Some days, you cruise, some days, it's a parking lot. Some days, I suppose most days, it's in the teens, moving, but in the teens.

Pinnang is right, all it takes is one stall and it's backed up for miles. There is an HOT (toll) and HOV, but they are one in the same and blocked in by this stupid wall. I don't think the toll is worth it, although ask me that on one of those bad days. I bus it, and as such we are on the HOV. Oftentimes I see spots of clogged areas. The bus is the best way to go if you do a regular commute from the north. I don't know about the south. Hope this helps.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:12 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,772,583 times
Rush hour is also a narrower timeframe here compared to DC and LA. I head from DTC up north I-25 and it's anywhere from 10-65 depending on pockets of stop and go traffic. It is only standstill if there's an accident or breakdown. Gamedays I have seen a long line of slow crawling traffic on either side of the stadium so plan accordingly. I haven't experienced snow yet so we'll see. I'm learning several alternate routes so when there is a parking lot situation hopefully I can navigate through that.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
It's sporadic, not like the usual big city freeways that are always clogged. Some days, you cruise, some days, it's a parking lot. Some days, I suppose most days, it's in the teens, moving, but in the teens.

Pinnang is right, all it takes is one stall and it's backed up for miles. There is an HOT (toll) and HOV, but they are one in the same and blocked in by this stupid wall. I don't think the toll is worth it, although ask me that on one of those bad days. I bus it, and as such we are on the HOV. Oftentimes I see spots of clogged areas. The bus is the best way to go if you do a regular commute from the north. I don't know about the south. Hope this helps.
--- hey, it definitely helps. Any info. helps as I know nothing about the area. Do u really want to move to the East? I am from east, love it most of time, hate it occassionaly.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Rush hour is also a narrower timeframe here compared to DC and LA. I head from DTC up north I-25 and it's anywhere from 10-65 depending on pockets of stop and go traffic. It is only standstill if there's an accident or breakdown. Gamedays I have seen a long line of slow crawling traffic on either side of the stadium so plan accordingly. I haven't experienced snow yet so we'll see. I'm learning several alternate routes so when there is a parking lot situation hopefully I can navigate through that.

That's why I got a GPS last X-Mass, it worths every penny. I think I can live without my husband, but I can't survive one day without my GPS.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:29 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,772,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocate2co View Post
[/color]

That's why I got a GPS last X-Mass, it worths every penny. I think I can live without my husband, but I can't survive one day without my GPS.
Yeah, I have one too, I just don't want to end up being too dependent on it. It's a great feeling when you can navigate through some mess on the fly. More often than not, I would probably just go from a clog to another jam.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:29 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,716,515 times
Yes, I want to move. Specifically S. Fl. I realized too late that my handle should actually be: wanttomovetomiami.

I understand not liking where you are from, I've lived here my whole life. Time to try life elsewhere. And I'm no spring chicken, so it's now or never.

Oh hey and snow days, sporadic too. Most days, it's ok, just light snow and everyone driving slow. Sometimes I think traffic is better when it snows because everyone stays off your *ss and you move better. The few occasions we get heavy snow, well, that's another matter. From what I hear, it's nothing like the northeast though. I'd say we get heavy storms at least a few times during the winter, but not everyday by any means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocate2co View Post
--- hey, it definitely helps. Any info. helps as I know nothing about the area. Do u really want to move to the East? I am from east, love it most of time, hate it occassionaly.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Yes, I want to move. Specifically S. Fl. I realized too late that my handle should actually be: wanttomovetomiami.

I understand not liking where you are from, I've lived here my whole life. Time to try life elsewhere. And I'm no spring chicken, so it's now or never.

Oh hey and snow days, sporadic too. Most days, it's ok, just light snow and everyone driving slow. Sometimes I think traffic is better when it snows because everyone stays off your *ss and you move better. The few occasions we get heavy snow, well, that's another matter. From what I hear, it's nothing like the northeast though. I'd say we get heavy storms at least a few times during the winter, but not everyday by any means.
Oh, yeah, I survived several winters in northeast. One snow storm day, it took me 7 and half hours to get home and 7 of them was on the highway.
FL is nice, but might have bad traffic, too. Well, but you will say bye to snow days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver