U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 10,191 times

Advertisements

Hey, yes there is a thriving Jewish population in Denver. There is one Orthodox Shul and several Reform Shuls. I live on the western Slope near grand Junction and there is ever a small but nice Jewish community here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 01:32 PM

2,842 posts, read 4,669,313 times
There's also a very active synagogue on E. Belleview at Dayton. There are a lot of Jews who live in the upscale areas around the synagogue, as evidenced by all of the families walking to services on Saturday. This area is close to some very good Cherry Creek schools.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:18 AM

8 posts, read 29,601 times
Default we are relocating too.

We just got back fro four days of searching out in colorado. Wow, it is beautiful. We loved two areas, one was Fort collins, the other was Broomfield. Broomfield was in a great location as far as distance from work and activities. Are there any Jewish families there? Where are the closest synagogues? How hard is it to make friends there, as I know nobody. Is anybody else on this thread moving?
i

Old 09-29-2007, 08:21 AM

Default We are considering relocating also

We just got back froma four day trip where we worked everyday with a realtor in a specific area to research. The two areas that we could afford and had the areas we see ourselves so far, were Fort Collins and Broomfield. We are going to have to go back and look further but does anybody know if there are any Jewish families in Broomfield? It is a mjuch more convenient location for work than Fort Collins. I loved fort collins but I am afraid it is too far out for my husbands job possibiliiies. Does anybody also know how prevalent Arbonne is out in these communities as I am planning on expaning my business out there when I move. Thank you for all of our help.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:55 AM

2,326 posts, read 3,899,648 times
Yes, there are Jewish families in Broomfield.

The website for http://jewishcolorado.org/ has some good information about the Jewish community in Colorado.
Quote:
Metro Denver/Boulder is now the 18th Largest Jewish Community in the U.S.According to initial results of the 2007 Jewish Community Study, the number of Jewish persons in the Metro Denver/Boulder area has increased 29% from 63,300 Jews to 81,500, since 1997.
According to the Study’s findings, 81,500 Jewish individuals now live in 45,400 households across the seven-county area (counties surveyed include: Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Broomfield, Denver, Douglas and Jefferson).
JewishPath has Colorado's Most Complete Listing Of Everything Jewish. JewishPath links to ALL of Colorado's Jewish Community.
also has information and links to many Jewish organizations, synagogues, etc.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:24 AM

320 posts, read 1,216,171 times
forgive my ignorance here BUT why is it important to live near other jews. I understand wanting to be near a synagogue but why be so exclusive. Should you and your kids be exposed to other cultures and experiences? Segregation is a bad thing. if we all just lived amongst "our own" we would never learn or grow.
Doesn't Ireland have issue becuase of people living with their own and not being open to anything different?

I would look for a good neighborhood first then look for the proper religious accomodations second.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:21 PM

13,328 posts, read 30,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfSoCal View Post
I would look for a good neighborhood first then look for the proper religious accomodations second.
I think I might have told a little story here before, not sure. (Maybe even this thread!)
It was about Jewish friends of ours who moved to the 'burbs (of Denver).
Their neighborhood shunned them when they found out they were Jewish.
They moved--again.
To live in Denver proper is to live among all sorts of people--it can be a rich experience.
To be Jewish in Denver is to be faced with soccer tournaments during High Holy Days, and people telling you to have a Merry Christmas or Happy Easter--it's just the way it is, and you deal with it. Jews get exposed to all kinds of "different experiences" every single day, all year long. And that's fine.
I agree that it is a very good thing to be exposed to other foods, other cultures.
Have you ever had fried matzoh? I know how to make it, even.
Ultimately, I am with you: good neighborhood first, place of worship, second.
But I can understand why it might be nice to know where there are more like-minded people. My friends found out the hard way.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 09-29-2007 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: add "again"

Old 09-29-2007, 03:47 PM

69,637 posts, read 59,609,548 times
I was just thinking of replying in a similar fashion, cil. I guess it's the same as wanting to live in a neighborhood with similar age kids so your kids can have playmates w/o having to drive them all over town for playdates. It doesn't mean everyone in the 'hood has to have six year olds if you have one, but you want a few.

The other thing is, you don't want to have to drive an hour to a synagogue so you can worship. I think Broomfield would be a good choice. There are several, I believe, synagogues in Boulder, which is a 20 min drive or so to Broomfield.

Last edited by Katiana; 09-29-2007 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: make correction

Old 09-29-2007, 04:05 PM

13,328 posts, read 30,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
The other thing is, you don't want to have to drive an hour to a synagogue so you can worship. I think Broomfield would be a good choice. There are several, I believe, synagogues in Boulder, which is a 20 min drive or so to Broomfield.
Good point, pittnurse!
And there is a Boulder Jewish Community Center, too, which would be a nice way for chicagomichael to meet new friends.
It's mission sounds very inclusive:The mission of the Boulder JCC is to provide programs and services based in Jewish values and traditions in a place where people of all ages and backgrounds gather to exchange ideas, learn and grow together.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:18 PM

Default how old are your kids?

We are looking too, let meknow where you decide. We have looked all around Denver, Evergreen, Fort collins and now Broomfield and Boulder. I am so confused and overwelmed. It is scary moving. Keep in touch, let me know your experiences. Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalisa4444 View Post
We are looking to relocate to the Dever area and would like to know which area is mostly populated by Jewish people? Obviously we are Jewish so it is very important for our family. Any info would be great!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver