U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 08:47 AM

106 posts, read 359,792 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to the Dever area and would like to know which area is mostly populated by Jewish people? Obviously we are Jewish so it is very important for our family. Any info would be great!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 09:23 AM

673 posts, read 2,944,528 times
Default South-East Denver: Monaco Parkway

I am not jewish so I dont know much specifically about where are the jewish activities are but I do know that the area along Monaco Parkway is known to have a very large jewish population with the highest concentration being from Colfax to Yale avenue along Monaco Parkway.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:27 AM

13,327 posts, read 30,288,691 times
lisa
Jews thrive in Denver.
(But if you have a kid who plays soccer, I guarantee you'll be dealing with tournaments over the High Holy Days. )
Reform Jews are all over the place, some are in southeast Denver but by no means all. There are two prominent Reform synagogues, Temple Emanuel at 3rd and Grape, central Denver, and Temple Sinai in the southeast area, on Hampden Avenue. I think there are even more but I don't spend much time any further southeast than that.
You'll find lots of Conservative and Orthodox Jews in the George Washington High School district of central/east Denver, up on the hill there between Colorado Blvd and Monaco along the Alameda Parkway. There are several different synagogues there, on Monaco as well as Alameda. The Jewish Community Center is a fantastic place for exercise, community plays and all sorts of activities. It is open to non-Jews as well. It is on Alameda Parkway right next to the gold-domed Greek Orthodox Church.
There are also less traditional shuls, but their names escape me at present.
Hope this helps a little bit.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:29 AM

8,668 posts, read 19,313,007 times
Find the synagogue and live close by.

There are no "Jewish" areas anymore than there are "Christian" areas.

I know of three Jewish delis. And one Jewish Day school (near Lowry)

Old 02-04-2007, 11:01 AM

Thanks I appreciate that. Let me tell you more of what we are looking for. We are a young couple in our thirties with a one year old. We are trying to determine what area around Denver would be the most suitable to raise a family, to buy a home. The schools are very high on our list as well as finding a young family oriented community. We are looking for an area thats thriving. Some action and close to shopping is also important. It's not that I want to live in a "jewish area" per say. I just want to make sure there are other Jew's so my son does not grow up feeling like the oddball. We would like somewhat of an upscale community. Our price range is around 500K. We have heard Cherry creek, Lowry, Broomfield, Littleton, Centennial and Lakewood might fit the bill. any feedback would be great!

Old 02-04-2007, 01:45 PM

I don't blame you, Lisa.
This is the real world and I do have Jewish friends who built a house out in the southeastern Denver 'burbs and ended up leaving when neighbors were unfriendly to them after they found out their religion.
It sounds ugly, but the truth is that it *can* happen.

Do you mean Cherry Creek, the central Denver neighborhood, or the Cherry Creek school district? They are two different areas, and you might be able afford to buy in either one, but Cherry Creek/central Denver might be pushing it.
There is also Hilltop/Crestmoor--again, quite pricey but you might find something in your price range there.

You might like Lowry or Stapleton, both are on the east side of town but quite reasonably close to downtown Denver, with some shopping of their own. Many families who are members at Temple Emanuel live in Lowry.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:52 PM

Cil- Thanks. This info is VERY helpful. Quick question- Should we eliminate living in the Broomfield area since we might be able to purchase something in the areas you mentioned. What do you know about Centennial or the Littleton area? Just trying to keep focused and narrow down our search.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalisa4444 View Post
. What do you know about Centennial or the Littleton area? Just trying to keep focused and narrow down our search.
I know very little about those areas, including Broomfield. I am sure someone else does.
Sorry, my little comfort zone was Denver proper.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:10 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,313,007 times
You should look at a broad area first and then narrow down the possibilities based on how you feel about the intangibles - community/amenities/shopping/worship/schools/commute.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:11 AM

130 posts, read 826,466 times
There are some small congregations in Littleton & Centennial. Frankly, I think as long as you are somewhere at all in the metro-Denver area you will find that there are other Jews in your general neighborhood, and a congregation not far away, even if it is only a small one. It wasn't until we moved to a small town far from Denver that I found myself wondering if I was the only Jew around! (And I wasn't)

This site might be helpful:
http://www.milechai.org/shul.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver