Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:31 AM

13 posts, read 37,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
The deadlines are set in the contract so make sure they are written in and accepted as needed.

If the seller won't accept your deadlines so you have enough time to receive your results, move on.

Don't let an agent try to tell you other wise.

This is the biggest purchase of your life and your families health is on the line. If it takes 3 weeks, it takes 3 weeks.
It's obvious from the last two posts from High Altitude and nele that these folks have a negative impression of Realtors. For those of you reading this, know that as a professional consultant it is my duty, as well as all Realtors, to present all options and to make sure a consumer understands the means or potential results of any decision. To elude to the idea that a Realtor, in some way, steers a client down a path that benefits the Realtor is a mistake and grossly misinterprets our professionalism and the code of ehics we uphold.

And I would be remiss if I didn't address the myth that Sellers are desparate today and that a "Buyer in today's market is in the driver's seat" as nele put it. Buyers should evaluate the information that their Realtor provides as to the fair market value of a home and present an offer they are willing and able to perform on. If you attempt to "low ball" or demand terms that are heavily weighted in your favor, don't be surprised or insulted when a Seller rejects, does not answer, or presents a counter that seems unrealistic in your eyes. Work on a deal that is a "win-win" for everyone or you won't get a deal done.

That's my soap box for the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 01:05 PM

224 posts, read 559,622 times
Default I disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvinny25 View Post
It's obvious from the last two posts from High Altitude and nele that these folks have a negative impression of Realtors. For those of you reading this, know that as a professional consultant it is my duty, as well as all Realtors, to present all options and to make sure a consumer understands the means or potential results of any decision. To elude to the idea that a Realtor, in some way, steers a client down a path that benefits the Realtor is a mistake and grossly misinterprets our professionalism and the code of ehics we uphold.

And I would be remiss if I didn't address the myth that Sellers are desparate today and that a "Buyer in today's market is in the driver's seat" as nele put it. Buyers should evaluate the information that their Realtor provides as to the fair market value of a home and present an offer they are willing and able to perform on. If you attempt to "low ball" or demand terms that are heavily weighted in your favor, don't be surprised or insulted when a Seller rejects, does not answer, or presents a counter that seems unrealistic in your eyes. Work on a deal that is a "win-win" for everyone or you won't get a deal done.

That's my soap box for the day.
I had a very, very excellent realtor, so no, I don't have a negative impression of them. But I will tell you, after house-hunting for years in this area, and having sold a house in the east, that people are wise to pay attention to the market mood, and try to get the edge based on that mood. A good realtor will tell you that and help you make the right decisions.

Now let me make an inference or two. You, as a realtor, would rather have buyers that are not too concerned about radon, uranium, etc, since these can "unnecessarily" extend contract deadlines. Otherwise, why are you cautioning people against taking a hard line on these items?

I know realtors can make mistakes. Recently I had a 2K bill on a house repair, that could have been avoided if my realtor had been more careful in his advice on my home inspection (sale 6 months ago). But I realize my own part is to evaluate my realtor's advice, not to go on it solely, so I too failed in due diligence. I don't blame my realtor at all, but I did let him know about the situation. I'd still heartily recommend him, and do.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:00 PM

13 posts, read 37,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nele View Post
I had a very, very excellent realtor, so no, I don't have a negative impression of them. But I will tell you, after house-hunting for years in this area, and having sold a house in the east, that people are wise to pay attention to the market mood, and try to get the edge based on that mood. A good realtor will tell you that and help you make the right decisions.

Now let me make an inference or two. You, as a realtor, would rather have buyers that are not too concerned about radon, uranium, etc, since these can "unnecessarily" extend contract deadlines. Otherwise, why are you cautioning people against taking a hard line on these items?

I know realtors can make mistakes. Recently I had a 2K bill on a house repair, that could have been avoided if my realtor had been more careful in his advice on my home inspection (sale 6 months ago). But I realize my own part is to evaluate my realtor's advice, not to go on it solely, so I too failed in due diligence. I don't blame my realtor at all, but I did let him know about the situation. I'd still heartily recommend him, and do.
A market is your local town, county or even subdivision....a mood (or better described in my industry as motivation) is extremely personal. No two homeowners will have exactly the same motivation for selling or even accepting an offer. A good Realtor will not assume why a person is selling nor will a good Realtor representing the Seller tell why their client is selling (unless authorized). Motivation is leverage is this business. If you assume a Seller is desparate to sell based on the national media or even the local economy painting a dismal overall picture, you will set yourself up for disappointment. Best to have your Realtor gather enough public information so that you can make an informed decision. If leverage is what you seek, a savvy Buyer can take it a step further by Googling the owner and even talking with neighbors. As I stated above, there is a myth out there that "Sellers" are desparate to sell.

Because this message board is supposed to be informative and not a forum to attack a person or group of persons, I will simply respond to this post by saying nele, just as High Altitude, made the improper inference that Realtors look out for themselves instead of their client's best interests. That's not to say there are bad seeds out there, but to lump that stigma onto the general population of Realtors is an error.

That being said, my intention in responding to the Uranium concern a few posts ago was to inform the public of the process by which this test is performed. It is a new issue since the change by the EPA. The timeframe for most transactions is about 30 days depending on many variables of which I will not attempt to specify in this post. Buyers have a perception of time and it's my job, as is every Realtor's job, to educate and coordinate the deal based on everyone's expected timeframe. I offered this information merely to educate Buyers as to what they can expect.

Whether a deal takes a week to close or 4 months (which is normal for Short Sales...another good topic), a Realtor is ethically obligated to put their client's interests before their own EVERYTIME. We don't "steer" them away from or to homes based on our own opinion. To do so would be a violation of our Code of Ethics. End of story.

A good way to evaluate who you should hire, is to look at their track record, ask their past clients, and review what credentials they have achieved. Classroom designations such as a GRI is good for background information. Real life production based designations such as a CRS demonstrates exceptional results and continuing education. Less than 4% of all Realtors nationwide hold a CRS designation so when you're ready to jump into the market, rest assured if you hire a CRS.

Because this is an Evergreen thread that has seemed to go off topic, let me conclude with Evergreen is a wonderful place to raise a family with roads that are exceptionally maintained by Jefferson County in the winter for those of you who are nervous about getting socked in by snow. I moved here 5 years after 35yrs in the San Francisco Bay Area. This California boy can assure you winters are easy here.....unless of course we get another 100yr winter like 2003.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:42 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times
Agents/Realtors are of course doing what they do in their own best interest. This is how the world goes around and a basic axiom of economics.

All you have to do is look around at what agents where telling their clients during the hay days and what they are currently saying today to see this.

Just today I read an article where several agents/realtors, some in the Evergreen area, are calling a bottom.

I have read articles like this for over a year now.

The agents/realtors have no clue if the market has hit a bottom or not but they are telling their potential clients that the market has hit a bottom, you better buy now etc.....

Agents/Realtors need to stick with what they are suppose to do and stop telling people about information they have no clue about.

Last edited by High Altitude; 02-12-2009 at 02:08 AM..

Old 01-26-2010, 10:16 AM

4 posts, read 5,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNPA View Post
My wife and I have been searching areas of Denver we might be interested in moving to. A beautiful place seems to be Evergreen. Great schools too. Can anybody tell me more about Evergreen? Is it a good place to raise children? Lifestyle there? Houses I've seen online seem gorgeous in my price range, provided we could get jobs near Evergreen or in Denver. Don't mind commuting under 1 hour preferrably.

I grew up In Evergreen and have some great memories . If you like hiking it has some nice parks. The winters aren't that bad if you get into winter activies, Evergreen Lake freezes and they have some great ice skating. Evergreen has experienced some phenomenal growth in the last ten years. For example Mtn Evans which is a 14000ft mtn and can been seen everywhere in Evergreen now has a ski hill. Denver city bussiness are moving in and kind of sad putting local shop owners out of bussiness.

Depending on where in Denver you have a job your commut might only be 30mins. One good thing about growth is more companies have offices in Gennesse which is about 15 or so mins.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 4,353 times
Default Please offer real information on Evergreen area!!!

Hello Colorado folks! My family is dreaming of a move to Colorado, but so far our information is coming from realtors, so I'm hoping for some real information. Can anyone tell me more about schools in the Evergreen/ Conifer/ Clear Creek districts? We have preschool and grade school children. Also, what is the commute really like if you need to get to the tech area near Cherry Creek a few times a week? The realtor is saying 30 minutes but I have my doubts. The are is undeniably beautiful, but is there anything you can think of that a family of 6 should consider... That a realtor might forget to mention? Christine

Old 12-26-2011, 03:59 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clagkeithmom View Post
Can anyone tell me more about schools in the Evergreen/ Conifer/ Clear Creek districts? - See Colorado School Grades

What is the commute really like if you need to get to the tech area near Cherry Creek a few times a week? The realtor is saying 30 minutes - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cppAYLn0v8
You will get lots of opinions here.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:56 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
Where in Cherry Creek? It takes me 40 minutes to get to Cherry Creek mall, and I live 12.4 miles away.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:51 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
OP, you mention the "tech area". Could the job possibly be in the Denver Tech Center, which is no where near the Cherry Creek Mall or Cherry Creek district of Denver.

I would guess that Evergreen to the Denver Tech Center to be around 45 minutes to an hour, in rush hour traffic and good weather. Add in snow and it would double.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:35 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default But, DTC is near water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
OP, you mention the "tech area". Could the job possibly be in the Denver Tech Center, which is no where near the Cherry Creek Mall or Cherry Creek district of Denver.
But, the DTC is near Cherry Creek Reservoir.
Why we like precision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver