U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:16 AM

13 posts, read 105,337 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

So we have some friends from the NL here and they want to go up into the mountains. We'd rather not drive super far (uggg, gas!) and have already been to the Georgetown/Idaho Springs area multiple times, and Estes Park and Longmont.

We just need a place that has pretty scenery (which shouldn't be too hard if it's in the mountains), a cute little town to walk around, and for it to be relatively close.

We are also relatively new, so any suggestions would be great.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 09:28 AM

6,552 posts, read 10,257,939 times
How far are you looking to drive? You can't get much more mountain than Fairplay - at 9,953 feet. If you prefer something closer to the sprawl then maybe try Manitou Springs, at the base of Pikes Peak. Fairplay and Manitou are both within a 2 hour drive of Denver.

Granted Fairplay is pretty small and walking around town won't take long at all. Heck you could drive a big loop and get both towns in.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:30 AM

402 posts, read 1,134,660 times
Evergreen and Kittredge, but I wouldn't say they have a large town to really walk around.
Not sure if you consider Summit County too far to go, but you have the outlet stores in Silverthorne, town of Dillon (but there's not much there), Keystone Village, Copper Mtn Village. Frisco is a pretty cute town to walk around with a good bar scene at night too. If you wanted to drive the extra distance there's always Breck, which probably has the best town for walking around in Summit County.

If that's too far, there's always Black Hawk/Central City.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:57 AM

13 posts, read 105,337 times
Thanks! I'll definitely look into your suggestions and see which little town suits us the best for this trip. Of course, I'll keep the other ideas handy for the future.

(My apologies...I should have said I have also been to Manitou Springs and the Garden of the Gods - thanks though!)

Ideally, I'd like to travel 1.5 hours or less, but I don't know how feasible this is.

Feel free to keep the ideas coming...

Last edited by silliemillie; 09-10-2008 at 10:05 AM..

Old 09-10-2008, 06:18 PM

86,981 posts, read 102,540,351 times
The Poudre Canyon, west of Ft. Collins, is very nice.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:57 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,710,539 times
I was going to say Nederland, but if you've already been to Estes Park there's a good chance you've been there too.

And Central City, Blackhawk of course...

Old 09-11-2008, 01:25 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,760,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silliemillie View Post
Ideally, I'd like to travel 1.5 hours or less, but I don't know how feasible this is.
Depending on where you're coming from with Metro Denver, 1.5 hours should get you to most of Summit County, even Breck. Vail is about 2 hours, so that's a consideration. You should also look at the Winter Park / Grand Lake area -- that would also be within about 1.5 hours.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:35 PM

92 posts, read 324,811 times
If your friends are wine lovers, i'd suggest you go to Evergreen and take them to Creekside Cellars. It's right in the commercial district. They have an italian deli, their own wines by the glass, and a wonderful deck overlooking Bear Creek. Should be good for a couple hours at least.

DISCLAIMER: I personally know the owners of Creekside Cellars, but am not suggesting it to get them more business. If the weather's nice, the deck is one of the best places i know to while away a few hours.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:14 AM

3,530 posts, read 8,735,035 times
We've been hitting small towns all summer. Just yesterday (and the day before) we went to Aspen. yuck, hated that. But then on the way back we stopped in Glenwood. This is by far our favorite town outside of Denver. Then we stopped in Frisco. Also a great town with a very beautiful lake. I don't really care for Blackhawk/Central City as it's all gaming (except for the neat opera house) and the gaming thing gets pretty old for me. So my votes are for Frisco and Glenwood Springs. BTW, you can take a train from Denver to Glenwood, not sure how fun that is, and I bet it takes longer, but no gas usage and no worries about traffic! We might try that route next time.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:44 AM

2,020 posts, read 4,335,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapHillboy View Post
If your friends are wine lovers, i'd suggest you go to Evergreen and take them to Creekside Cellars. It's right in the commercial district. They have an italian deli, their own wines by the glass, and a wonderful deck overlooking Bear Creek. Should be good for a couple hours at least.
I agree! I love that place. The food is very good and last time I was there bought a case of wine. Evergreen is a great suggestion.

BTW, I would have suggested Nederland but the OP requested a shorter drive. There was a nice article in the Rocky a few weeks ago about Ned if you are interested: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...its-nederland/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or