U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 04:36 PM

345 posts, read 1,383,902 times

Advertisements

9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | IKEA announces plans for Denver area store (http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=99428&catid=188 - broken link)

Now all we need is a Trader Joe's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 04:55 PM

1,598 posts, read 2,747,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaCo Mom View Post
9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | IKEA announces plans for Denver area store (http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=99428&catid=188 - broken link)

Now all we need is a Trader Joe's!
It's funny. People complain about U.S. companies going overseas, and jobs dissapearing and here we have, and definitly not the only one, a person who advocates giving business to an overseas conglomerate, who more than likely, will be putting many mom and pop stores out of business.

Amazing.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:07 PM

227 posts, read 919,253 times
Some would say it's ironic. But when keeping up with trends I guess it doesn't matter.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:20 PM

86,843 posts, read 102,174,122 times
Is Trader Joe's not a chain? What's the diff between buying groceries there and at Wal Mart? or even Safeway?

Old 09-10-2008, 06:33 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,652,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
It's funny. People complain about U.S. companies going overseas, and jobs dissapearing and here we have, and definitly not the only one, a person who advocates giving business to an overseas conglomerate, who more than likely, will be putting many mom and pop stores out of business.

Amazing.
I agree. And forget mom and pop stores, who I don't think IKEA is even competing against-- what about Furniture Row-- which is based in Denver?

Old 09-10-2008, 06:39 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,652,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Is Trader Joe's not a chain? What's the diff between buying groceries there and at Wal Mart? or even Safeway?
Beats me. We had that in Tempe, AZ and there's a whole slew of them in LA, of course, where the chain is headquartered. I've also seen them in Albuquerque and Santa Fe. I still for the life of me can't figure out what's so great about it. It's for people who like buying stuff like vegan muffins, off-brand Naked Juice, avocadoes already packaged neatly in a "make your own guacamole kit," bread and tortillas marketed as "fresh" but are actually shipped in from Monrovia, California (no different than going into King Soopers), stuff like Amy's frozen dinners (but more selection). I guess they do have a pretty good wine selection. It's like a big grab bag of stuff, but I just don't see anything they sell that's worth raving about.

Safeway in particular has started to go upscale over the last few years, remodeling all kinds of stores and selling better produce, etc.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Not much difference.

My problem is with IKEA, and sending money, jobs, etc. overseas.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:51 PM

148 posts, read 589,281 times
Default At least IKEA is building warehousing and other facilities here, which is more than a lot of 'American' companies cansay

Regarding shopping at IKEA: When an American company comes up with and implements a furniture store concept that sells furniture that fits my style and budget, I'm certainly willing to give it a go. Until then, too bad. There is simply no comparable concept here.

Furthermore, I rather shop at a foreign-based store that has business practices that I agree with or support than an American store that continuously commits egregious ethical offenses.

As far as Trader Joes is concerned, they have a lot of original products that you can't get elsewhere. I made it a point to bring 8 jars of their Cashew Macadamia Nut Butter with me. It's simply heavenly. And although I don't use it, I know at least 80 women who absolutely swear by their shampoo line. Also, the pre-packaged convenience meals that were sarcastically mentioned earlier are not only quick and easy to prepare, but tend to be of higher quality and far better taste than the mass marketed products found at major grocery chains. Far better quality control.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:16 PM

86,843 posts, read 102,174,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmakairos View Post
Regarding shopping at IKEA: When an American company comes up with and implements a furniture store concept that sells furniture that fits my style and budget, I'm certainly willing to give it a go. Until then, too bad. There is simply no comparable concept here.
Well, I certainly agree with buying what works for you. That is why my steelworker father would turn over in his grave if he could see the foreign cars in my garage. Back on topic, I'm sure TJ's and IKEA are in business to make money like any American company!

Old 09-10-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Well, I certainly agree with buying what works for you. That is why my steelworker father would turn over in his grave if he could see the foreign cars in my garage. Back on topic, I'm sure TJ's and IKEA are in business to make money like any American company!

Oh, they sure are. We're slitting our own throats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or