U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 01:48 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,211,765 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anything about this church? Mainly, do they accept gay people/familis as they are? Their website is a little vague about it. Is it a large or small church? Are there families with young kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 04:21 PM

227 posts, read 919,747 times
I can tell you about the episcopal church at large. The episcopal church is accepting of gays and all people just as they are. In fact, they have an openly gay, monogamously coupled bishop, Gene Robinson.

I don't know much about St. Thomas, but as a whole, Episcopalians are accepting of all people.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfish15 View Post
I can tell you about the episcopal church at large. The episcopal church is accepting of gays and all people just as they are. In fact, they have an openly gay, monogamously coupled bishop, Gene Robinson.

I don't know much about St. Thomas, but as a whole, Episcopalians are accepting of all people.
Thanks! I e-mailed the church, and yes, they're accepting of gay people. I figured as much, considering where they're located.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:52 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,850,925 times
Not to diss St Thomas, which I am sure is very nice, and I love the neighborhood, but I know St John's Cathedral has a solid gay membership (their choir is well known) and I used to love to go to church there, it was always quite a stirring experience.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Not to diss St Thomas, which I am sure is very nice, and I love the neighborhood, but I know St John's Cathedral has a solid gay membership (their choir is well known) and I used to love to go to church there, it was always quite a stirring experience.
Yeah, I thought about St. John's, and it's good to hear first-hand experience with it. I mainly considered St. Thomas due to location, being closer to our house. If we try one, maybe we should try both.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:30 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,850,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, I thought about St. John's, and it's good to hear first-hand experience with it. I mainly considered St. Thomas due to location, being closer to our house. If we try one, maybe we should try both.
You're in Stapleton, right? So St John's would be a fairly straight shot for you, maybe down 17th. But obviously St Thomas is much closer, and you might prefer it anyway.
Wouldn't hurt to try both. Some people prefer church just for the prayer, the fellowship and a good preacher. To be honest, I was sort of a Christmas/Easter Episcopalian, and I was looking for the visceral experience of my old familiar hymns, the ones I grew up with, plus the grandeur of the cathedral.
St John's was really good for that.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
You're in Stapleton, right? So St John's would be a fairly straight shot for you, maybe down 17th. But obviously St Thomas is much closer, and you might prefer it anyway.
Wouldn't hurt to try both. Some people prefer church just for the prayer, the fellowship and a good preacher. To be honest, I was sort of a Christmas/Easter Episcopalian, and I was looking for the visceral experience of my old familiar hymns, the ones I grew up with, plus the grandeur of the cathedral.
St John's was really good for that.
I'm kind of that way too. St. Thomas has two different services, one being contemporary, one traditional, according to its website.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,954 times
Default Denverian message reply

I am a member of the St. Thomas Vestry ("board") and assure you we accept all people and families as they enter our doors and when they want to worship with us. Please see our updated website in about 3 weeks for more info based on some recent vestry work. Or come join us for our next Parish meeting at 9:15 a.m. Feb 22.

Our active membership is about 150 families, with a growing number from the Stapleton and Lowery areas. Feel welcome to try us out.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:18 PM

Thanks Michael. I appreciate the response.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,654 times
Exclamation Approach with caution

The episcopal church has a more accepting environment for gays and lesbians but.. be careful. The church is fraught with political issues. The episcopal church is run very much like a cooperation. The priest, with some exceptions, are very career oriented and too ccupied to endeavor to know what makes members tick. Just go in cautiously with low expectations. The more eccentric you are and the more non-conformist the more likely you are to encounter problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver