U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 07:21 PM

144 posts, read 186,351 times
Default "Fresh" apple cider in Denver?

Hey all,

I moved here from northeast Pennsylvania a few months and love it so far. One question... There was an absolutely awesome family run cider mill back home that made fresh (not homogenized, pasteurized, etc) apple cider, sold all kinds of apples, pumpkins, homemade pies, homemade peanut better, etc. Is there anything like that around here?

While I love it here, I miss the country vibe from back home.

Last edited by Eric618; 09-20-2008 at 07:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 07:46 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,937,474 times
Hi there and welcome to Colorado!

The closest thing that I found is the Bragg brand of its Raw, Organic, and Unfiltered Apple Cider. Some King Soopers it have and most Whole Foods stores. Whole foods was cheaper than King Soopers the last time i got some.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:48 PM

Thanks! While it will be nice to have real cider, I was also hoping to find a simialr country mill in somewhere in the area. I think that might be too much to ask though.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:54 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,937,474 times
I will keep an eye on this thread myself to see if someone does know more about it.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:20 PM

2,314 posts, read 3,769,173 times
There was a place with fresh cider along hwy 66 going towards Lyons, just west of the intersection where foothills hwy north from boulder ends at hwy 66. (I don't know if it's still there, I never stopped there.)

Old 09-20-2008, 10:55 PM

4,749 posts, read 8,330,636 times
I grew up in New York and getting fresh apple cider was one of my fond memories.

You will find a great directory of organic products on Colorado Organic Producers Association http://www.organiccolorado.org/ with the directory at
http://www.organiccolorado.org/directory.html (broken link)

Searching it, you will see many farms in the vicinity of Denver.

The "official guide to Colorado Agriculture" is online at the Department of Agriculture Food and Ag Directory - Colorado Department of Agriculture (http://www.ag.state.co.us/FoodAgDirectory/ - broken link)

If you do a search on "Cider" you will see that most all producers of apples and apple products are on the Western Slope. However, they must have retail outlets in the Denver area; give them a call. Note: Robertson Fruit with a Westminster P.O. address; it may be local.

Colorado Food and Agricultural Directory

Conducting a Product search for
Cider

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Company Name: Blossomwood Cidery
Address: 794 NE Indian Camp Ave.
Cedaredge CO 81413-
County: Delta
Phone: (970) 856-3220 Fax:
Website Address: Blossomwood Cidery - Home
Contact Name: Ms. Janese Carney
Email: blossomwoodcidery@hotmail.com
Products: Click here to view products

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Company Name: Bolton's Orchards
Address: 2257 L Road
Grand Junction CO 81505-
County: Mesa
Phone: (970) 241-9398 Fax:
Website Address:
Contact Name: Mr. Bruce Bolton
Email: fortbolton@aol.com

Company Name: Colorado Coffee Merchants
Address: 302 E. Fillmore St.
Colorado Springs CO 80907-
County: El Paso
Phone: (719) 473-8878 Fax: (719) 266-1745
Website Address: www.coloradocoffeemerchants.com/
Contact Name: Mr. Eric F. Umenhofer
Email: info@coloradocoffeemerchants.com

Company Name: Confre Cellars
Address: 3701 G Rd.
Palisade CO 81526-
Phone: (970) 464-7899 Fax: (970) 464-0175
Website Address: wic.net/medery
Contact Name: Mr. Fred Strothman
Email: stkathryn@yahoo.com

Company Name: Excelsior Orchards
Address: 193 Sand Illdefonso
Los Alamos NM 87544-
County: Boulder
Phone: (970) 527-6860 Fax: (303)494-8629
Website Address:
Contact Name: Mr. Paul Maudlin
Email: k9szl@cybermesa.com

Company Name: Growers Organic LLC
Address: PO Box 100500
Denver CO 80250-
County: Denver
Phone: (303) 299-9500 Fax: (303) 299-9502
Website Address: Grower's Organic
Contact Name: Mr. Tom McCracken
Email: tom@growersorganic.com

Company Name: Red Mountain Ranches
Address: 1948 Hwy 65
Cedaredge CO 81413-
Phone: (970) 856-3803 Fax:
Website Address: redmountainranches.com/
Contact Name: Robert Morris
Email: rmr@redmountainranches.com

Company Name: Robertson Fruit
Address: PO Box 350485
Westminster CO 80035-0485
County: Adams
Phone: (303) 570-3276 Fax: (303) 650-6083
Website Address:
Contact Name: Mr. Bill Flother
Email: wef1203@yahoo.com

Company Name: Rocky Mountain Meadery
Address: 3701 G Rd.
Palisade CO 81526-
Phone: (970) 464-7899 Fax: (970) 464-0175
Website Address: http://www.wic.net/meadery (broken link)
Contact Name: Mr. Fred Strothman
Email: stkathryn@yahoo.com

Company Name: Sparky's Farm Market
Address: 31164 Highway 92
Hotchkiss CO 81419-
Phone: (970) 872-7737 Fax:
Website Address:
Contact Name: Ms. Mary Joe Vamdar Laan
Email:

Company Name: Talbott Farms, Inc.
Address: 3782 F 1/4 Rd.
Palisade CO 81526-
Phone: (970) 464-5656 Fax: (970)464-7821
Website Address: talbottfarms.com
Contact Name: Mr. Charlie Talbott
Email: charlie@talbottfarms.com

Total Records Found 11

Last edited by livecontent; 09-20-2008 at 11:06 PM..

Old 09-20-2008, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 12,764 times
Lightbulb I just happened to find this....

I was looking at the calender of events for something to do this week during my days off and I remembered your post. I too come from an area where there were fresh cider mills. I am looking forward to going to this. Hope this helps. Feel free to send me a private msg if you want any more info or ideas for fall things to do. -Kcbrat

Lakewood's Cider Days Festival - Lakewood Heritage Center - Denver Post

Lakewood's Cider Days Festival
Saturday, Oct 4 10:30a
at Lakewood Heritage Center, Lakewood, CO
Celebrate the 33rd annual Cider Days Festival - Enjoy fresh cider, antiques, shopping and food, children's activities, entertainment and more.

Age Suitability: None Specified
Tags: There are no tags.
Celebrate the 33rd annual Cider Days Festival - Enjoy fresh cider, antiques, shopping and food, children's activities, entertainment and more.

Lakewood’s Cider Days
Bushels of fun for the entire family!

LAKEWOOD, CO - The Lakewood Historical Society started Cider Days in the 1970s to honor the settlers of the land that would become the City of Lakewood. Celebrate the 33rd annual Cider Days Festival from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, October 4 and Sunday, October 5 at Lakewood’s Heritage Center, 801 S. Yarrow St. (Wadsworth Boulevard and Ohio Avenue).

The weekend entertainment line up includes:

Saturday, October 4
• 10:30 a.m. - Flap n Jacks (Country Music Band featuring KYGO’s own Steve “Mudflap” McGrew)
• 1 p.m. - Colorado Friends of Old Time Music and Dance (Interactive Contra Dancing)
• 2:30 p.m. - Short Timers (Washboard Band)
• 4 p.m. - 40 Gallon Still (Bluegrass)

Sunday, October 5
• 10 a.m. - Grace Notes (Barbershop Vocal Ensemble)
• 11:15 a.m. - Flap n Jacks (Country Music Band featuring KYGO’s own Steve “Mudflap” McGrew)
• 1:45 p.m. - Short Timers (Washboard Band)
• 3:15 p.m. - Dean Station (Acoustic Band with Spoons)

Apple Bake-Off. Over $400 in cash prizes will be awarded in the Apple Bake-off on Saturday, October 4, and there is still time to enter. Call 303-987-7850 for an application.

Apple Cider. Lakewood Cider Days celebrates autumn with an apple cider theme including cider booths serving cider by the glass or half-gallon. Festival-goers can also bring apples (or buy them at the event) and use cider presses to make fresh cider.

Children’s Activities. All of the children’s activities are free with paid admission including bucket train rides, amusements, hayrides, face painting, apple-themed games and crafts, a petting zoo, and live entertainment for the whole family. Experience country dancing and learn what household items make the best musical instruments.

Antique Fun. Historic demonstrators present traditional crafts including quilting, chair caning, rug hooking, woodcarving, blacksmithing and spinning. Historic buildings at the Heritage Center will be open to the public including Gil & Ethel’s 1950s Variety Store, 1960s Beauty Parlor, the 1930s Farm House and the Streer House. Antique tractor enthusiasts will love the vintage tractor pull by the Rocky Mountain Tractor Pullers and displays by the Front Range Antique Power Association.

Shopping & Food. Folk art and craft booths featuring the work of artisans from around the region abound at Cider Days. Food vendors offer everything from funnel cake to barbecue. The 20th Century Emporium features a variety of retro and nostalgic gifts along with wonderful books by local authors.

Admission is $6 adults, $3 children (ages 3 -12). All proceeds from the event support educational programs at Lakewood’s Heritage Center, a 20th Century Museum.

Overflow parking and shuttle service is available at Belmar (Wadsworth and Virginia Avenue.) and at the Lakewood Cultural Center (Wadsworth and Alameda Avenue).

Sponsored by the Lakewood Heritage, Culture and the Arts, SCFD, Rocky Mountain News, Foothills Credit Union, Bellco Credit Union, Muller Engineering, MedExpress, Tedford-Katz, Belmar, White Fence Farms and Westwood College.

Call 303-987-7850 or visit Welcome to Lakewood, Colorado for more information and updates on the weekend line up.

Category: Fairs & Festivals
Creator: Gloria
Creator: Gloria

Old 09-21-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
There was a place with fresh cider along hwy 66 going towards Lyons, just west of the intersection where foothills hwy north from boulder ends at hwy 66. (I don't know if it's still there, I never stopped there.)
Thanks so much, everyone!

Old 10-12-2009, 10:28 AM

4 posts, read 13,174 times
Hi, Eric, It looks like you've been here for a while now and have hopefully made your way to some great apple farms that have what you're seeking. I go to Fererra's Happy Apple Farm (in Penrose, CO) every fall and they have great cider, along with many other of the kinds of things you might like, e.g. jellies, syrups, chili peppers, etc. There is also a good home style restaurant in a barn up the highway (115) from there where you may find more, like cobbler, etc. (not sure about pies). Here is a link I found for locating apples around the state: All About Apples | Colorado Apple Orchard and Farm Listings Good luck on your "hunt!" Rebecca

Old 10-19-2009, 08:22 AM

Hi Rebecca, thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver