U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2008, 10:36 PM

1,530 posts, read 5,140,183 times

Advertisements

I drive down this parkway on my way home from work daily and walk it every other week. Here are my shots from my walk last week, sorry it was partially cloudy and the never ending tree coverage made it very dark.

As early as 1885, Baron Walter Von Richthofen urged the development of tree-lined parkways from Denver to serve his Montclair suburb. East 6th Avenue Parkway was developed (largely between 1909 and 1912) as part of the 1909 Montclair Parkway Suburban Improvement District No. 1. Nearly two miles in length, it is the longest east-west parkway in Denver. It served a major role in shaping Denver's urban fabric. The parkway defined the city's eastern limit, it encouraged the development of adjacent residential neighborhoods (which in turn were landscaped following the planting patterns found in the parkway), and it provided an emphasis on mountain views from the parkway.

Beginning at Quebec Street, the classically designed 6th Avenue Parkway extends westward through residential neighborhoods for 25 blocks. Serving as a major connection for surrounding residents, 6th Avenue Parkway also links the parkway system to Monaco Street Parkway and Clermont Street Parkway. At Colorado Boulevard, the parkway corridor continues west as 7th Avenue Parkway. I will post shots of the homes on 7th in my next thread. The style of homes found here include: Tudor, Mediterranean, Colonial, Deco, French Chateau, Ranch, Mid Century and a few Modern structures.

Hope you enjoy the photos!

Denver Aztec

Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 10:44 PM

A few more:

Hope you enjoyed!

Denver Aztec

Old 09-26-2008, 12:27 AM

5,591 posts, read 18,804,962 times
Nice photo tour, Denver Aztec, as always. Of all your homes you took, my favorite one is this one:

(which is probably some of the least typical of the homes in that neighborhood). Other than the Mediterranean style homes, which you captured at least a dozen, those old homes just aren't my style any more. But I recognize that many people do in fact love those early 20th century English cottage/ castle lookalikes.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:33 AM

Thanks for your compliment Vegas! I love all types of architecture, old and new, but the appreciation is always in the eye of the beholder. Beyond the variations in styles found on East 6th, an appreciation can be had in the fact that this and several other parkways have remained essentially intact with their original homes from the late 1800s early 1900s. This is not common in most US cities for they either never had it or altered it so much that it does not look the same. Philly and Pittsburgh literally have hundreds of blocks of home like this that are abondonded and falling apart because of the economic conditions. Detroit has some of the best examples of Deco in the US but most is falling apart due to no funds to maintain it.

When I was a kid, it seemed like Curtis Park and the Highlands were areas that were destined to become our slums, but now they are amongst the hottest places to live. Denver Urban Renewal saved many old homes in the city but also torn down much of our history. 120 square blocks downtown alone of historic wearhouses, LoDo could have been significanly larger. Our economic conditions made it necessary for DURA to tear down what was abandoned or unkept. Imagine Capitol Hill with out the mansions that remain or if Monaco, 6th, 7th, Parkways, Montview Blvd., the Denver Country Club, Baker, Highlands any street around Cheeseman were all ranch style homes. Scary thought for their charm and character are all lost and Denver would look just like all of the surrounding suburbs.

We should be proud of this street and the many others we have in the established 38 Historic neighborhoods in Denver. It is what makes us unique and shows much more then just the style of homes.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:29 AM

13,361 posts, read 37,926,058 times
My old stomping grounds! My very first kitty (the first pet I ever had that was totally my own responsibility) was born in the 4000 block of 6th.
Lovely photo tour, Aztec. I like the occasional flower shots breaking up the home collections.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:18 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,126,998 times
nice photos! what kind of camera do you have?!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:25 AM

196 posts, read 416,557 times
Nice pics! Until recently I lived near east 6th. Does anyone know the origins of this Tudor / Mediterranean / Spanish architectural style so prevalent in the older neighborhoods of Denver? I've wondered this ever since I moved here from the east coast. There, you would see the occasional Tudor-style home, but it wasn't anywhere near as common as here.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the compliments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
My old stomping grounds! My very first kitty (the first pet I ever had that was totally my own responsibility) was born in the 4000 block of 6th.
Lovely photo tour, Aztec. I like the occasional flower shots breaking up the home collections.
Wonderful recollection. Did you do well with the pet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
nice photos! what kind of camera do you have?!
Fuji

Quote:
Originally Posted by nele View Post
Nice pics! Until recently I lived near east 6th. Does anyone know the origins of this Tudor / Mediterranean / Spanish architectural style so prevalent in the older neighborhoods of Denver? I've wondered this ever since I moved here from the east coast. There, you would see the occasional Tudor-style home, but it wasn't anywhere near as common as here.
Great question! Since Denver was founded in 1858, it has gone through specific industry boosts. Mininning, Oil, Government, Communications, Tech and the next wave will be alternative energy usage with our close to 300 days of sun and high winds on the planes. Out of all these boost, what brought the highest variety of cultures and nationalities to Denver was minning, specifically Gold. Families from the east coast were joined by royalty from Europe. Barrons, Dukes, real royalty from all over the world sought out the gold and other precious metals in our mountains. This variety of people brought with them their money and the need to replicate what they knew and lived in prior. Hence, the large variations of styles. There were several architectural families in the Denver area that were able to construct whatever was desired. The variations of structures in Capitol Hill is enormous, but greatly appreciated by those of us who walk the neighborhoods. The prevailing home style for Denver is Victorian. We have the most Victorian homes in a city, second to San Francisco. I will add more neighborhoods in future threads plus the wonderful variations of churches and schools. Denver's architecture has much to be proud of.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:10 AM

10,929 posts, read 19,087,905 times
Thanks again for the photos DenverAztec! I know I've driven parts of the 6th avenue, but never really stopped and looked at that awesome architecture. That pic of the first flower should be the cover of a magazine or something.

I didn't eve see them all yet. My internet at home is a bit slow for anything over 20. Do you guys use photobucket or something else. It takes a lot of work to do what you just did. Not just taking the pics, but getting them all on here. Fun though, huh?

Old 09-28-2008, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the compliment McGowdog! I use Photobucket, trying to support a local company. It is time consuming, but great fun and what better way to show our city. So many misleading details can be squelched, like Denver has no trees or is not green. Those comments often come from those living in the burbs or are temporary visitors. We have our four seasons and winter can be brown but this is the same case for any northern city. Thanks again for your comments and I will continue to post more pics of our great city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver