U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 08:31 PM

6 posts, read 30,083 times

Advertisements

My family will be in Denver for a long weekend (4 nights) in a few weeks and I need to know where is the best place to stay. We will have an 8 year old child with us so I want a safe area. I plan on staying at a hotel with at least a 3 star rating, I am afraid to get a lower star because I want it to be clean. We will fly in a Friday afternoon and leave out by 10:00am on a Tuesday morning. We will be getting a rental car so we will have transportation because we will be going to a Bronco game while we are there and will probably do some sight seeing and hopefully find something fun for children as well.

I have read a lot of different views of Denver and from what I have read we should stay in Cherry Creek or the Tech Center. I have also read that rental cars are stolen a lot especially at the gas pumps. To avoid East Colfax, Tamarac, Peoria, Broadway, 17th and 46th. I have read that I should also avoid the State Capital and Coors Field because of the homeless people. After reading all this I am so confused. Its hard to go to a place you are unfamiliar with.

Please, help as I never been to Denver and I want our trip to be an enjoyable one. What is your recommendation for a good hotel that is in a safe area? Keep in mind that we will need to be at the airport early on Tuesday to return the car and catch our flight out because I heard the traffic is really bad.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 08:57 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,041,553 times
I'm not sure where you read any of that as none of it sounds accurate. Crime in Denver is generally low, east Colfax is a fantastic and diverse area -- the same goes for Broadway; I'm fairly certain there are no gangs of thieves staking out fuelling stations and 17th Ave has some of the best restaurants in town. I can't fathom the 46th ave bit, that is just out there.

If you followed your above listed aversions you would find that you had come to Denver but actually seen none of Denver.

The state Capitol is a good place to visit and yes, there are homeless people in Denver. They are however not vampires, you won't go blind if you look them in the eye.

You did not mention a rate range. Personally I prefer to put people up in the Westin downtown. It is central to everything downtown and right off of 16th ave. The Westin Cherry Creek is another great option having recently been voted the best Westin in the chain.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
I'm not sure where you read any of that as none of it sounds accurate. Crime in Denver is generally low, east Colfax is a fantastic and diverse area; I'm fairly certain there are no gangs of theives staking out fuelling stations and 17th Ave has some of the best resteraunts in town.

The state Capitol is a good place to visit and yes, there are homeless people in Denver. They are however not vampires, you won't go blind if you look them in the eye.

You did not mention a rate range. Personally I prefer to put people up in the Westin downtown. It is central to everything downtown and right off of 16th ave. The Westin Cherry Creek is another great option having recently been voted the best Westin in the chain.
Thanks for the quick response. I have read so many sites it has confused me so bad and I knew it couldn't be that bad but I had to ask. As for a price range less than $100 preferably lower than that if possible.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:44 AM

Default Denver Airport Area

Is the area around the airport good? Where I live the airport area is a terrible place to stay.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:03 AM

10,904 posts, read 29,386,676 times
where will work be - what are your goals once you are here?

I like staying at the Hyatt Place. There is one off County Line Road - big screen, breakfast & a pool. It's in the SE area.

If you are looking NW try the Westin off 104th in Westminister. - Near the Butterfly Pavillion.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:28 AM

1,536 posts, read 5,518,115 times
If you get some more specifics then we may be able to narrow down you selection options for you. I know my 9 year old nephew loves sports and architecture, so I am always taking him downtown. All of our sports arenas are there, with the exception of soccer. The best art museums are there (Denver Art Museum, Museum of Contemporary Art, and the Children’s museum); Six Flagg’s Elitches will be closing soon for the season but open weekends through October. The DCPA (Denver Center for Performing Arts) has the most ticket sales second to New York City, so you are bound to find a show.

There is a free shuttle that runs the length of downtown and I recommend using it as much as possible. The only 5 star hotel downtown is the Ritz Carlton

If you don't stay downtown, stay close to the light rail as you will want to ride that into downtown, since that is where most of the action is. Denver's downtown is very lively, day and night, not like other larger cities where it dies at night or on the weekends. Crime happens but I have never heard of rental cars being a target. Tamarac and Hampden area has some great hotels, Embassy Suites and a Marriott, but that is Southeast Denver, not downtown. However, it is convenient with parking and many fast and sit down type restaurants.

I recently had to take my nephew on a 'building tour' to help him learn about the city as a school project. Since he lives in Ken Carl, the burbs, he invited 2 friends, which turned into 10 kids and their parents. None of them knew much about downtown and all jumped at the opportunity to hear from someone who does. I wasn't real excited at first, but the energy the kids had was contagious and I loved teaching them for the day. Here is what they found exciting, I hope this helps with your 8 year old:
· The Brown Palace (4 star historic hotel), fantastic lobby and get the hotel manager to give you some brief details. This is where Hillary and Barack stayed for the DNC.
· They view from the 27th floor of the Hyatt, bar/restaurant there, ask the front desk how to get to it, kids are welcome.
· The State Capitol, be sure to get up to the rotunda, wonderful views.
· Ride the 16th Street Mall shuttle and the light rail. Let the light rail driver know you have a child with you and would like for them to offer any tips possible. What a gem of safety tips, what to do if you are lost, and historic sites to look for. Mall drivers won't do this as too busy.
· The lobby of the Equitable Building. The most detailed lobby downtown.
· Union Station
· The Basilica on Colfax, stained glass from an artist in Germany, that Hitler had killed, so it is unique and irreplaceable.
· The Central Library, modern but the kids loved it.
· The Denver Art Museum, Daniel Libeskind's addition is the first he did in the U.S. You can't miss it and a must see.
· The bear outside the Convention Center. Kids love it and again, you can't miss it.
· Molly Brown's house in Capitol Hill.
· Civic Center and the US Mint. As with the Capitol, air port security at the entrances.
· Larimer Square
· Tons of places to eat on the 16th street mall, Chipotle, Qdoba and Noodles are from Denver and went national. I see similar happening with Spicy Pickle (sandwiches), Anthony's (pizza and pasta) and Brother's BBQ. Quick, cheap and tasty. The mall also has Chili’s and a P.F. Chang is on 15th.
· Low scale shopping (Gap, Banana Republic), large scale is 3 miles southeast in Cherry Creek (Saks, Neiman, Nordstrom, Tiffany, etc.) Also on the mall, 15 theaters showing current movies at the Pavilions, Landmarks shows at Stars in the Tivoli.
·
Other Options:
· The Museum of Nature and Science in City Park. They have a new dinosaur exhibit that kids are going wild over.
· The Denver Zoo in City Park
· The Denver Botanical Gardens
· Butterfly Pavilion, between Boulder and Denver
· Depending on the temps, skate boarding in the free skate park in LoDo. The largest free skate park in the country and kids of all ages here.
· Food:
o Mexican food at Taqueria Patzquaro in the Highlands is the best, very popular but not authentic is Benny's in Governor's Park. Costal cuisine - Lola's in the Potter Highlands.
o Little Ollie’s for Chinese Food in Cherry Creek North. I love Thai Basil (Washington Park) and Tommy’s Tai (East Colfax).
o Italian – Patsy’s, Carmine’s on Penn, Pasquini’s on Broadway.

o Snooze (Ballpark neighborhood) or Lucille’s (Washington Park) for breakfast. Panzano in the Hotel Monaco is good as well.
  • Neighborhoods in Denver to drive with your rental car:
    • Washington Park, see the actual park
    • Bonnie Brae, the Phipps Mansion
    • Highlands
    • East 6th
    • Montview/Park Hill
    • Capitol Hill/Cheesman Park
  • Outside Denver but can do as a day trip:
    • Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park
    • Boulder
    • Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs
    • Vail/Breckenridge
    • Mount Evan – can only get to Echo Lake this time of year due to snow/ice.
    • Lookout Mountain – Red Rocks Amphitheater, Mother Cabrini, Buffalo Bills Grave.
    • Central City/Blackhawk for small stakes gambling.
    • Roxborough Park
I know I have left tons out but hope this gives you some guidance. Please come back and post after your visit so it will help others in the future that find themselves in your current situation. If we can be of more help, please ask!
Enjoy your visit!

Denver Aztec

Old 09-28-2008, 07:14 PM

Wow! Thanks everyone you have given me some great information. It helps me so much in deciding where to stay as well as some more options on things to do.

We are looking forward to going to Denver and I am sure we will have a great time.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:35 PM

345 posts, read 1,389,205 times
Be aware though that while all the hotel suggestions given here are nice hotels in nice areas they most definitely do not fall into the "$100 or less" range that you are looking for.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:54 AM

3 posts, read 9,816 times
We stayed at Embassy Suites Denver Tech Center during our move/house closing. It is in a very safe area and very family-friendly.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:24 AM

402 posts, read 1,134,660 times
I'm a big fan of the Magnolia Hotel in downtown Denver. Beautiful historic building completely restored and turned into a luxury hotel. Upscale and in the heart of Denver.

I'd avoid the hotels near the airport for the simple reason of there not being much out there, it's a safe area of course, just not much there. I think your family would enjoy being downtown the most.

edited to say that I missed your post on the $100 or less. So the Magnolia is probably out of the price range, but still a really nice hotel

Last edited by zionvier; 09-29-2008 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: missed the mention of $100 or less
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or