Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Comparison of living in Colorado versus California, less traffic, family oriented, friendly neighbors, great schools, close to amenities, more land, unpredictable weather

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,404 times

Advertisements

Hello Rebagirl, I am moving to the Denver area and you didn't mention the part of town you moved to? I am currently living in Orlando, FL and I would never allow my children to ride alone but growing up in Ohio I rode my bike everywhere as a kid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 05:20 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,920,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnaspuck View Post
and I would never allow my children to ride alone but growing up in Ohio I rode my bike everywhere as a kid
Can someone please explain this to me? I don't understand what exactly there is to fear. If it was okay for your parents to let you ride alone, why isn't it okay for you to let your children?

Old 10-22-2008, 05:38 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,755,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Can someone please explain this to me? I don't understand what exactly there is to fear. If it was okay for your parents to let you ride alone, why isn't it okay for you to let your children?
And kids back then didn't have cell phones either. omg how did they survive

Old 10-23-2008, 01:21 AM

619 posts, read 2,198,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Sure, I can explain it, but you first need to realize that parenting is emotional and very rarely has anything to do with statistics and hard data.

You cannot watch any prime time drama or news program, or read any best-selling crime drama or other fiction for that matter, these days without hearing about the most God-awful crimes against children occurring. NBC made a whole mini-series about it with their Dateline set-ups of sex offenders. It is very, very hard to let your lifeblood and whole heart turn around the block and out of your sight with those images floating in your head. Everyday you keep yourself in check and try not to smother, but it's hard.

You can belittle and joke and talk about it being irrational and overprotective (not that you were, but plenty do), but violence against children as a concept is rampant in our culture today - when it wasn't 20-40 years ago.

That's why it's different.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:55 AM

7 posts, read 7,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
It is silly to me when people get so bent out of shape about tattoos.

Get over it......
Well...tattoos *are* associated with prisoners; something like 90% of all prisoners have tattoos. I guess it depends on the kind of people you admire; I admire academics and classical musicians, and intellectuals. As a rule, they don't do tats.

Also, there's the thing with Jewish prison camps; I've seen elderly women who were trapped in these camps during WWII, surviving because they (and their daughters!) were forced into prostitution, and with their number tattooed on their arm. This, for me, is not a pleasant association.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver