U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 17,193 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just relocated from England to Broomfield, CO just over two weeks ago. I'm here on an L1 visa and am employed here.

I need to find out how soon I need to convert to a Colorado driving license. I phoned a DMV office and they said it would have to be within 30 days of arriving. Is this correct? I had assumed I could use my UK license here for longer than that.

I also need to know if this is the same for my wife, who is here under an L2 visa and who will not be working here.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Andy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 11:33 AM

3,530 posts, read 8,737,621 times
I would go by what the DMV tells you. They really rule that arena and have all the power as far as drivers licenses go. I would ask the question about your wife to the DMV as well.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:23 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,042,745 times
Everyone who moves into the state needs to have a state issued drivers license within 30 days. This includes foreign residents who wish to drive legally.

Now you could always tell the Police *if* you are pulled over that you have been here for less than 30 days -- but another requirement is that you have auto insurance and so far as I know getting insurance with an international license is going to be hard if not impossible.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:27 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,805,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag73 View Post
Hi,

I just relocated from England to Broomfield, CO just over two weeks ago. I'm here on an L1 visa and am employed here.

I need to find out how soon I need to convert to a Colorado driving license. I phoned a DMV office and they said it would have to be within 30 days of arriving. Is this correct? I had assumed I could use my UK license here for longer than that.

I also need to know if this is the same for my wife, who is here under an L2 visa and who will not be working here.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Andy.
As a Brit living in the US I would also recommend you get a US license ASAP. Not only will it more likely be recognised if you get pulled over, but it's THE main form of ID here, used to guarantee checks, confirm your age and identity in restaurants or when checking out property. An international license is unlikely to be recognised by anyone here. I'm not 100% sure about this but you may need to take the driving test before you can apply at the DMV but they can confirm that. When I first moved here, I paid for one basic driving lesson, got a copy of the local DMV rules book to study and then took the test (and there's a written version too).

Old 10-01-2008, 12:39 PM

402 posts, read 1,135,090 times
I agree with both Steve and Chilaili. Not many US citizens have seen an international license, especially those that will be asking to see ID. (ironic). I'm from the US and although I've had an international DL, the vast majority of people have never seen one. You can stick with using your passport as ID though.

I often use my passport as my id when I travel domestically to other states. Since it's standardized and most people have seen one. Where as every state has a different drivers license and I have actually had an issue at one bar because I had an "out of state license". Luckily the passport was in my back pocket and they accepted that instead of my CO license. Can't blame them too much, 50 different drivers licenses (not including DC or Puerto Rico)... it's hard to know if it's fake or not ;-)

Old 10-02-2008, 09:14 PM

87,003 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag73 View Post
Hi,

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Andy.
These questions about type of visa, etc, I think are beyond the scope of what most City-Data people can tell you. If you will be doing any driving for your job, you will probably be required by the employer to have a CO drivers' license. If your wife will be doing any kind of car-pooling for school, etc, she will probably be required to have the CO license as well. Other than that, I don't know.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:04 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,042,745 times
Quote:
These questions about type of visa, etc, I think are beyond the scope of what most City-Data people can tell you. If you will be doing any driving for your job, you will probably be required by the employer to have a CO drivers' license. If your wife will be doing any kind of car-pooling for school, etc, she will probably be required to have the CO license as well. Other than that, I don't know.
Yes, you don't know --. And guess what people who do know have already posted. Why post?

Reading before you post = less useless posts.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:37 PM

87,003 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Actually, steveindenver, I did post what I do know. If you read my post, you would see that. Since you missed it, I'll repeat it.

Quote:
If you will be doing any driving for your job, you will probably be required by the employer to have a CO drivers' license. If your wife will be doing any kind of car-pooling for school, etc, she will probably be required to have the CO license as well.
How do I know this? I have done both of the above. In several jobs, it was a requirement to have a valid Colorado driver's license. Ditto for driving on field trips for the Boulder Valley School District.

You know, it's OK sometimes to say you don't know something. My comments were meant to get the OP to seek out some more reliable advice.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:40 AM

2 posts, read 17,193 times
Thanks for the responses. I have now taken my written test and hope to take the driving test tomorrow. We did ask the DMV here and they said that for my wife the 30 day period would start when we move into our permanent address here whereas for me the 30 day period started when I started my job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or