U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-04-2008, 08:56 PM

65 posts, read 81,462 times

Advertisements

I know the Colorado area, of course, gets a lot of snow, but since there is so much snow in the area are the roads kept very clear quick?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 09:45 PM

345 posts, read 949,797 times
Depends on the roads. Interstates and other major arteries are kept pretty clear of snow. However the side streets get hit last with the snowplows and I believe most neightborhood streets don't get cleared unless a certain amount of snow falls. That being said, snow doesn't usually stay on the ground for long here. It's generally gone within a day of falling...that is unless we get dumped on

Old 10-04-2008, 09:46 PM

220 posts, read 468,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanns6 View Post
I know the Colorado area, of course, gets a lot of snow, but since there is so much snow in the area are the roads kept very clear quick?
What part of Colorado are you talking about? Also, every winter is different. Road are kept in great condition and plowed soon after any snow storm. However, the sun is our best friend. In the Denver metroolitan ara the roads are usually cleared of snow in one day However, once and a while with a big storm the roads are snow packed for a couple of days. The mountain towns are a diffrent story. Although the Interstates and State Highways are plowed on a regular bases and kept in good condition.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:19 AM

26,362 posts, read 55,166,325 times
Quote:
In the metros, inches of snow on the ground hardly ever seems to be the obstacle. Icy roads (which if you are from Indiana you would know about) are more of a hazard.

Just how cold/snowy/icy is Colorado?

Note how clear of snow the highway is:

Old 10-05-2008, 08:38 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,492,949 times
Oh Charles, that's a good one. What is the location of the scene in that photo? I remember my first few ski trips going up I-70, always seeing at least 2 freshly trashed vehicles on the side of the road per ski trip. At least it's a sobering reminder that everybody needs to slow down and get mellow. One time I was heading to Vail in a big boat of a Lincoln rental car. Descending Vail Pass towards town, the 2 SUVs on the road in front of me just spontaneously went into 360d spins, pretty soon my boat was spinning too. Everybody somehow managed to spin themselves into the big snow bank on the right side of the road, grabbed their skis and stuff, and quickly got free rides down into town. Wheewh! It helps if you are kinda like Lee Majors or MacGyver around them parts !!

Old 10-05-2008, 10:14 AM

226 posts, read 630,415 times
Snow and ice aren't the real hazards on the roads. The hazards are the people who drive A) Too Fast, or B) Too slow and brake happy. The trick is to stay in the flow, not trying to go faster or slower than everyone around you. People who speed will wipe out. People who keep hitting the brakes because they are too scared of the snow will wipe someone else out.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:07 PM

1,313 posts, read 4,906,298 times
Quote:
It varies greatly from year to year and also from location to location.

Example: Grand Junction has hardly any snow while up the interstate in Glenwood Springs it can either be filled with snow for most of the season or not at all.

Same with Colorado's Front Range. The blizzards of 2006-2007 made the snow stay around for weeks (at least in Colorado Springs on the north side of town) while many years the snow vanishes in a day. My immediate neighborhood had ruts in the snow on the roads like you might see on ungraded dirt roads but deeper

The main roads are kept pretty clear as long as there isn't a repeat of 2006-2007. I lived in Denver Metro during the Oct. 1997 blizzard and was able to tool around on the main roads in my Honda Accord the next day. We had about 23" of snow at the townhome I lived in. The main roads here in C Springs 2006-2007 were well maintained.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:47 PM

65 posts, read 81,462 times
Thank you everyone, I was mainly looking in the immediate Denver vicinity.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:15 PM

69,637 posts, read 59,609,548 times
Road clearing is not what anyone from Chicago, Minneapolis, etc is used to. Even in the city of Denver, "main" roads are cleared first, then feeders, then residential. Sometimes they never get to the residential streets, just "let the guy who put it there take it away" as my dad used to say. During the holiday blizzard of 2006, one of the main complaints was that people's streets didn't get cleared, in some cases, not even a single pass of the snowplow.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:30 PM

7,090 posts, read 7,144,079 times
Main routes are plowed and de-iced pretty well, if there's a bit down you can usually see where people came before you and you can follow the tracts. Snow goes away quickly if there's sunshine, otherwise it's there for a day or 2. I think it's the attitude of push it out of the way till nature takes care of it.

Morning is the worst of it, after work commutes are much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver