Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:50 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,347,690 times

Advertisements

I dont' think they are. I almost had a stroke when it cost me $190 to register my '02 Ram this year.

I just don't understand why colorado has to charge so much more than other states.

They're like tax Nazi's here. Back in Ohio, the most anyone paid to register a truck was $75.

Oh and Ohio doesn't tax drive through food. Only if you eat in. Why colorado does that is a mystery to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,917 times
ugh...government=dirty Colorado state tax is a flat 4.3something% +anywhere you go sales tax is between 7 and 8.5% and then $300.00 for your car every year if it is newer...where does it end?

Old 01-16-2009, 02:53 PM

541 posts, read 1,221,052 times
I don't think it makes a bit of difference. Real estate tax is bull****, too. Why should home owners pay a tax that renters don't? It used to be at the founding of the country that you knew you at least got to vote when the renters didn't. No more.

The government invents all kinds of fees it tries to keep hidden--some more than others. Most people aren't aware that governmental agencies are making far more than Shell or Exxon off of your purchase of a gallon of fuel.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:08 PM

11,815 posts, read 34,290,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
I don't think it makes a bit of difference. Real estate tax is bull****, too. Why should home owners pay a tax that renters don't?
Huh? Wouldn't the rent include an amount for the prorated property tax?

I know all of mine does; Rent is principal, interest, taxes, hazard insurance, HOA, sometimes utilities and profit.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:17 AM

541 posts, read 1,221,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Huh? Wouldn't the rent include an amount for the prorated property tax?

I know all of mine does; Rent is principal, interest, taxes, hazard insurance, HOA, sometimes utilities and profit.
In theory it does in that it's issued to the landlorad. That wasn't really my point, though. It's just the government inventing ways to squeeze your money out of you in every imaginable facet of life.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:47 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,468,253 times
Quote:
I don't think it makes a bit of difference. Real estate tax is bull****, too. Why should home owners pay a tax that renters don't?
You do; we build it into your rent.

Anyone who complains about real estate taxation needs to live and own a property on the east coast for a year.

So I pay more for my car (and they revised the reductions a couple of years back -- a point no one in this thread has mentioned -- and made it worse) -- and which sours my balls -- but whatever in the end taxation in Colorado is more or less consumption based. I'm fine with that.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,872 times
I have not found registering the car to be so easy. I've been to 3 of the 4 Denver County DMV offices, today (long story), and the wait was over 3 hours. The first place I went to around 10 am, the second around 11:30 am, and the third around 2 pm. Rumor has it that if you get to one of these offices about an hour or more before opening at 8 am that the wait is shorter but not short. I also tried to get my car registered at an Aurora county DMV office when I learned that you had to go to your county of residence. I had received my license at this place and the wait was short. There was air conditioning and plenty of seats (the other places in Denver were standing room only). Maybe I should set up a tent and sleep outside the DMV so I am first in line. I haven't done that since college waiting for Who tickets.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:37 PM

137 posts, read 465,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uws81 View Post
I have not found registering the car to be so easy. I've been to 3 of the 4 Denver County DMV offices, today (long story), and the wait was over 3 hours. The first place I went to around 10 am, the second around 11:30 am, and the third around 2 pm. Rumor has it that if you get to one of these offices about an hour or more before opening at 8 am that the wait is shorter but not short. I also tried to get my car registered at an Aurora county DMV office when I learned that you had to go to your county of residence. I had received my license at this place and the wait was short. There was air conditioning and plenty of seats (the other places in Denver were standing room only). Maybe I should set up a tent and sleep outside the DMV so I am first in line. I haven't done that since college waiting for Who tickets.
I would imagine that today was especially busy since it was the first day back after a holiday. I was able to get right in and out for both my DL and registration in Douglas County (not today.) What county are you in?

Old 07-06-2010, 07:09 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,350,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uws81 View Post
Last time I went (2 months ago, but I've been 5 times in the last 8 months), I showed up on a Wednesday at 8:15am, and was walking out with my title and new plate at 8:22am. That's the fastest I was in and out, but the slowest was only about 40 minutes total.

You NEED to be there before 9am. At 9am, dealers are allowed to do multiple transactions so one person can tie up an agent for a long time. Get a few of the buggers there, and you'll do nothing but wait. BUT, don't be there BEFORE the doors open either, because you'll just wait in line for the door to open, and then wait more for those people who were ahead of you to do their business (this was my 40 minute wait). Show up at 8:10~8:20am and you'll be outta there before 9am. I stick with Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays too.

At least this is true for the Bear Valley office at Hampden/285 and Sheridan.

And the day after a long/holiday weekend will Always be bad. Same with the week of the last/first day of the month... I think all of that is on the DMV website, which is why I went early the very first time, on a Wednesday. Heh, works for drivers license as well, I was in and out for getting a CO license in 17 minutes

Old 07-07-2010, 11:24 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,757,824 times
Go first thing in the morning, middle of week, middle of month. Usually there are only 1 or 2 people there, if that. This is Arapahoe county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver