U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 05:33 PM

6 posts, read 14,162 times

Advertisements

We're moving from Florida and looking for an area to live within commuting distance to westminster.

In particular we have 2 children aged 4 and 6 and are looking specifically for areas where there are karate schools, swimming schools, music schools and so on for young kids, also most importantly an area where people are new so its easy to make new friends.

My wife is a stay at home mom so the right friendly neighborhood where similar families live is important - the more kids and great grade1+ schools the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 05:35 PM

694 posts, read 1,789,611 times
I would suggest Westminster or Broomfield, both have what you are looking for. To narrow it down by neighborhood, do you want to rent or buy and what price range?

Old 10-06-2008, 05:37 PM

Looking to rent and then buy - hopefully within the same school area, 400-500k

Old 10-06-2008, 05:54 PM

That gives you a good range in this area. I live in Westminster, it's a great family city with TONS of kid stuff to do (everything you listed plus much more). I forgot to ask a little more specifics:

1. What things are important for you in a neighborhood (other than schools and friendly neighbors)
2. What size lot/yard do you want
3. What size home (how many sq feet)
4. Do you want to be able to walk to things (shops/restaurants) or don't care/happy to drive.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:32 AM

Bradburn1,

1. Security and rec centers for swimming and gym with a more spacious area, but would look for a cul-de-sac home
2. Not a yard man other than to throw a ball which we can do anywhere so not bothered, would prefer a pool but that may be expensive for 500k max.
3. 3,000sqft plus basement would be heaven but 2,700 is what we need
4. Yes walking to everything is what we're after - may aswell enjoy the fresh air.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:58 PM

OK, here goes:

First (no surprise I'm sure to others who read this forum) I would suggest my neighborhood, Bradburn Village in Westminster. We have new homes and resales (oldest was built in 2001) in your price range and sq foot range. Neighborhood is super, super social, is like a small town--everyone knows each other and we have tons of neighborhood events. Neighborhood is filled to the brim with kids and with stay at home moms (and some dads), most kids here are under 10. We have a community pool which is great. You won't find too many in ground pools in Colorado (especially at your price point), what you may find is community pools which have the benefits of pools without you having to maintain it. You can rent in Bradburn as well as buy. Many people rent one of the townhome apartments (called Bradburn Row) while their homes are being built, I did this and it worked out great (plus I could walk to my house being built and check it all the time).

You can walk to just about everything from Bradburn including restaurants, bars, shops, a 24 hour fitness, a new organic grocery store, parks, a giant open space with extensive trails. You can ride a bike through the open space to the very nice Westminster city park rec center in 10 minutes from here, as well as another large gym (Mountainside Fitness). Great schools (pretty much all schools in this area are good).

Other suggestions:

Redleaf in Broomfield. Redleaf is a newer subdivision right next to the very nice Paul Derda Rec center and a large park. I have a friend who lives in there and they like it very much. You can walk to some things (especially the rec center) but not nearly as many as Bradburn, but lower prices.

McKay Landing in Broomfield. Nice neighborhood typical suburan style, good schools. Can't really walk to anything though as it's pretty sprawled out.

The Broadlands in Broomfield. Similar to McKay Landing, standard suburban neighborhood, is nice but my friend who lives there says it's not very social (although it does have lots of kiddos).

Louisville. A little more expensive but charming small town with a great main street, lots of fun things to do, lots of families. About a 15-20 minute drive to Westminster (depending on where in Westminster the job is).

The areas around Westminster (Broomfield/Superior/Louisville/Lafayette) and Westminster itself are well suited to what you are looking for, so I would concentrate on those areas since you are lucky enough to have a job in an area with just the qualities you are looking for.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have specific Bradburn questions.

Good Luck! Colorado is a great place to live.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:12 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,428,707 times
Easiest is to live where you work, but just fitting the rec center needs and neighborhood needs, you may want to peek at Highlands Ranch. Safe, Douglas County schools, house sizes that should fit your needs, and they have multiple Rec Centers with swimming pools, weight rooms, etc with classes and stuff to boot all paid with a rather miniscule HOA(40/mo I think?). The downside is it's not a very walkable place and the drive will be longer than some others areas(but paltry compared to the commute where I am in CA and I'm sure a lot less than major metro areas in FL).

Old 10-07-2008, 09:19 PM

The OP has a job in Westminster, on the north side of Denver. Highlands Ranch is a 1 1/2 hour rush hour commute south from Westminster. If they were working in the Denver Tech Center I would recommend Highlands Ranch but no way for anyone working north of downtown.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:33 PM

86,894 posts, read 102,341,073 times
Louisville has quite a few walkable areas, and you can get most anywhere in town on a bike. You can get to most parts of Westminster in about 20 minutes. Tons of kids, a nice rec center, walking paths, bike trails throughout the city, good schools.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:16 AM

Thanks guys, highlands Ranch did seem as though it fit the bill, but 1 - 1:30hr communte is a long drive - shame they don't have a smaller yet similar area closer - what do you think of Stapleton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or