U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:04 PM

9 posts, read 16,579 times

Advertisements

I might be accepting a job in Lowry, and I need to know where to live.

I need a nice, safe, family-centered neighborhood, and I would prefer something with quick access to the mountains AND an easy commute to Lowry (near the community college system).

Any thoughts?

What is the commute like on 285 in the am? Would bear creek be a good area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 06:29 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,407,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetree View Post

I need a nice, safe, family-centered neighborhood, and I would prefer something with quick access to the mountains AND an easy commute to Lowry (near the community college system).

Any thoughts?

What is the commute like on 285 in the am? Would bear creek be a good area?
Arrrgh. Bear Creek is a good area, if you work near Bear Creek. Your commute to Lowry daily would be terrible, with the most direct route being Denver's busy arterials.

Focus your search near Lowry, there are plenty of nice, safe, family-centered neighborhoods nearby. The only "quick" access to the mountains would be nowhere near Lowry. Are you planning on going to the mountains as often as you go to work?

What is your price range?

Old 10-06-2008, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess I wanted quick access to the mountains because I am moving from Silverthorne, and I anticipate visiting often...but...I would prefer a quick commute as opposed to the convenience of a once a month trip to the mountains! You are right!

I am actually looking to rent for a bit. I dont feel comfortable buying until I live in the area for awhile.

So, given that the mountain access can be given up...any other suggestions? We prefer a quiet area that is safe. No need to be close to nightlife or anything. Just like our peace and quiet. I hear parts of lakewood can be sketchy, and I have no clue what it is like to commute in on 6. I dont really know much about the metro area at all.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:36 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,710,539 times
Quote:

Ok, I'm not a rocket scientist here, or a GIS guru, or a city planner, or a real estate agent... but you could live in Lowry.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:39 PM

=) d'oh!

Thanks!

Is Lowry a nice area? I dont know anything about it. I don't know much about Denver. I grew up in a city where there were definitely streets that you just DID NOT go on, so that is why I am asking the hive mind for some opinions. Lowry seemed okay, but I saw mostly business building as opposed to living areas.

:0)

Old 10-06-2008, 06:46 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,710,539 times
Quote:
=) d'oh!

Thanks!

Is Lowry a nice area? I dont know anything about it. I don't know much about Denver. I grew up in a city where there were definitely streets that you just DID NOT go on, so that is why I am asking the hive mind for some opinions. Lowry seemed okay, but I saw mostly business building as opposed to living areas.

:0)
Do a search on some of the past threads about Lowry-- there are many of them and you'll find a lot of information. Lowry is a brand new mixed use development of single family homes, townhomes, and shopping built over a former air force base, right in the middle of Denver. It's similar to Stapleton, another redeveloped area several miles to the north, except Lowry's a little smaller and in a better location IMO.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:58 PM

Thank you so much! Will do.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:15 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,041,553 times
Lowry is actually about as big, only a number of blocks from Stapleton and not nearly as well planned. Location is relative but in general Lowry is in a worse position in comparison to Stapleton. Certainly it ranks lower in terms of home value depreciation as of recent.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:15 AM

Thanks, Steve. Last night after researching Lowry, I stumbled upon Stapleton and it seems really nice. I researched some of the posts RE Stapleton, and some people have some really strong opinions about it. I guess it is one of those areas that you either love or hate. I think it would work out well for me and my family (my partner is looking for a new job, so that area would give him a lot of options as well regarding commuting to a yet-to-be-determined location).

I didn't really notice too many apartments in stapleton (except on the official stapleton website). On craigslist, there are some marketed as stapleton and lowry...but I dont think they are "offically" that area? Would you say that the whole area starting at lowry and heading towards stapleon is relatively safe? I know Aurora and Park Hill runs in there somewhere, and those areas always gets a bad rap. I just don't want to get scammed into something that is marketed as stapleton or lowry and it ends up being in a bad area. (I understand that they are nice places everywhere and bad places everywhere...I am just trying to get a general idea). =)

I know the only true test is to actually go down there and drive around, but that isn't feasible for me at the moment, so that is why i am asking for some general opinions before I spend a weekend down there. Overall, I feel silly asking these questions because I feel like, in general, Denver is one of the safest cities.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:32 AM

7,090 posts, read 10,757,552 times
Both areas are pretty nice and pretty safe, the areas right next to the redevelopment are run down but not a big deal. When they both still existed those houses were the cheap places, who wants to live next to an airport or base? Don't by the hype sight unseen, take a look.

The only detractor for both is they have some contamination Former Lowry Bombing and Gunnery Range (FLBGR), Colorado and Casey Resources, Inc. - STAPLETON REDEVELOPMENT PROJECT, so if you want a garden you have to have a raised bed and don't let your kids eat the grass. No one's gotten sick or even hinted at it, but they need to cover their butt in case some one decides to link it to something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or