U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2008, 12:51 AM

7 posts, read 20,034 times

Advertisements

We will soon be moving from California to the Centennial area, but our teenager (a freshman in high school) is really not happy about it! She logically understands the reason behind the move, but of course that doesn't make it any easier. Does anyone have any suggestion on places to take her or things to do and see that might help sell her on Denver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 09:01 AM

13,228 posts, read 24,324,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffToDenver View Post
We will soon be moving from California to the Centennial area, but our teenager (a freshman in high school) is really not happy about it! She logically understands the reason behind the move, but of course that doesn't make it any easier. Does anyone have any suggestion on places to take her or things to do and see that might help sell her on Denver?
First, take her everywhere she likes and would like to see near your home in CA. I meant to take a trip like that myself before I left CA, but didn't get around to it. I regret it now. Take her by neighborhoods you used to live in (if that applies), old schools, restaurants you can't find here, attractions, nature, beach, etc. Get CA out of her system, and make sure she spends as much time with her current friends as possible.

When you get here, you can go to 16th Street (and downtown in general) and/or Cherry Creek Malls. Red Rocks. Denver Zoo. The Aquarium (don't eat there). Pikes Peak, or the mountains in general. Skiing/snowboarding. White water rafting. Sporting events. Elitch's. Water World. The Capitol. Tell her it snows.

I don't know what she's into so I'm just grasping at straws, but hey I'm trying.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:59 PM

6 posts, read 14,003 times
What high school will she be going to here? Does she play sports or is she involved in school clubs. Maybe she could contact them before coming and get introduced online. If I recall that age correctly, the most important thing is friends. That is a tough age to move at. I hope all goes well.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:41 PM

2,943 posts, read 7,305,481 times
Tell her to shut up and deal with it. Everyone has to do things they don't want to. I didn't want to move either when I was a kid, but it all turned out for the best.

It is hard to leave all your friends, but new ones will always be made.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:35 PM

156 posts, read 631,577 times
Does your DD make friends easily? That will definitely help with the transition.

We are also moving to Denver, and my teen DD (a sophomore) is very excited----we live in a very pretentious suburb, and she doesn't feel like she fits in here...she's ready to meet some new people :lol . But, I think it mostly has to do with the fact that she is a very outdoorsy/nature kind of girl (although she does love to shop---shoes and handbags are her faves, and she never leaves an Express store w/o buying something! )

Old 01-08-2009, 03:31 PM

5 posts, read 6,886 times
Denver is expensive. To live there is probably less expensive than living in Cali though. Take her to Dave & Busters, The Boondocks on I-25 and just off of 104th, take her to the aquarium and the first thing you want to do is get her a season pass to Elitch Gardens Six Flags. All of us go there during the summer months. If she is a pretty cool girl, she will get along easy here but tell her to watch out not to get into the thug / gangsta life style that the wannabes are into these days. I am 15 and lived in Denver. best thing for you to do is pick a better place to live than Centennial. Try Aurora, or one of the smaller towns just outside of Denver. Centennial is full of crime. Parker is a good place to live and its in southern Denver. Living in Denver is fun cus there is so much to do. Just make sure she picks her friends carefully. Tell her to get into clubs at school so she can keep busy. There are a lot of cool concerts in Denver to take her to also. If I still lived there I would help her out by showing her around but I live too far away now in the next state over. Take her to Estes Park and the National Forest she will love it.... In Estes Park there is the famous Stanley Hotel where Stephen King wrote the book The Shining. There are a lot of cool little shops there too that we all enjoyed walking around through. And you can rent cabins there and go fishing if you are into that, we loved it. While we were there a bunch of elk just walked right down the street and planted themselves in a park where we were having a picnic.. it was funny to watch. Tell her not to worry the people here are friendly and she will have a lot of fun. You as a parent have to provide the means for her to have that fun. Transitioning from one place to another can be devastating to a kid our age. You dont want her to go into a shell she might not come out of. Take your days off here to spend them showing her everything there is to see.
She will appreciate you more and later in life she will remember what you did for her.

I hope this helps you more than the dumb guy who said for her to suck it up and deal with it. Some people have no compassion.

Sam

Old 01-08-2009, 03:36 PM

5 posts, read 6,886 times
oh I forgot to mention.... Take a bag of unsalted peanuts with you the kind in the shell when you go to the Rocky Mountain National Forest.... go up to the top parts of the mountain.... there is a tourist stop there where if you sit on the side of the cement wall there... little birds including stellar bluejays will come up and take the peanuts right out of your hand and sit on your finger and there are chipmunks that come up and take the peanuts too if you are quiet and peaceful about it... its such a cool experience.

Sam (again)

Old 01-08-2009, 04:05 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,742,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam15k View Post
best thing for you to do is pick a better place to live than Centennial. Try Aurora, or one of the smaller towns just outside of Denver. Centennial is full of crime.
Sam, please do your research on Centennial crime stats. In November, Centennial was named the safest city in Colorado for the 4th year in a row. It's 38th nationwide. By contrast, Aurora was #205 of the 387 cities ranked nationwide.

Otherwise, good suggestions.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:12 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,135,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam15k View Post
Centennial is full of crime.
Wha???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
When you get here, you can go to 16th Street (and downtown in general) and/or Cherry Creek Malls. Red Rocks. Denver Zoo. The Aquarium (don't eat there). Pikes Peak, or the mountains in general. Skiing/snowboarding. White water rafting. Sporting events. Elitch's. Water World. The Capitol. Tell her it snows.

I don't know what she's into so I'm just grasping at straws, but hey I'm trying.
All the teenagers I know absolutely love going places with their parents like aquariums, zoos, museums, and especially the state capital.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:40 PM

6 posts, read 7,119 times
Default Is Denver for her?

Hi we just moved from Australia (Perth - west coast) and have lived by the beach for the past 20 yrs. We have 2 children in elementary school so whilst a freshman is not really in our realm of understanding with what your child might be going through we have only these positive thoughts to add. We moved to Highlands Ranch and the lifestyle is fantastic. Our girls have adjusted really well and most importantly we focussed on school choice and where we would buy a house. By doing thorough research it really paid off. If your child is a freshman then check out school programs your child likes ie sports - Highlands Ranch is fantastic for that. The skiing and snowboarding life is brilliant. I'm someone who feels the cold but I have say I have acclimatised well here and don't feel the cold at all especially when I'm dressed for the weather. While your child might not be impressed with the move it will help her gain some amazing skills in the process. Life throws us unwanted curveballs that can turn out to be a blessing in disguise. It's about making the most of your opportunities and widening your friendship base from a bigger global perspective. For places to see or do - we're heading to Frasier Park to do the inner tubing down the hill - I'm told it's memorable - can't wait!!!! If it's winter stuff you are after - there is an oudoor icerink that's loads of fun and worth appreciating. Then don't forget the indoor rock climbing centres, my daughter is hooked. If you're not into sports then there is much to do. The Denver Zoo has all these fantastic programs for teenagers and I know the Denver Art Museum has some brilliant programs too. All I can say is there is a wealth of stuff to do in Colorado and I find most people here have a 'can do' attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffToDenver View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or