U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 03:46 AM

5 posts, read 13,337 times

Advertisements

Hi,my girlfriend and i are relocating to Englewood within the next few months and have been offered a small house to rent. Can anyone pease let me know about the area before i commit? Its S Galapago st,(the end nearest Denver) close to the 85. Any info would be great! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 08:50 AM

13,227 posts, read 24,304,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggtee View Post
Hi,my girlfriend and i are relocating to Englewood within the next few months and have been offered a small house to rent. Can anyone pease let me know about the area before i commit? Its S Galapago st,(the end nearest Denver) close to the 85. Any info would be great! Thanks.
I'm going to peg you as being from California, since you referred to US 85 as "the 85". We simply call it Santa Fe.

Englewood is just fine, I am not terribly familiar with that part of it, but I like the neighborhoods south and east from there and would imagine it wouldn't be much different. The only way you'll know is to see for yourself.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:58 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,293,702 times
Englewood is an older inner ring suburb of Denver. Generally it's a pretty blue collar, working class neighborhood, especially in the area where the house you might rent will be. The location that you are talking about varies from one block to the next so it kind of depends on what block you will be on. The block closest to Denver is a mix of houses and warehouses so it is possible that it could be a house sitting directly in between two warehouses, or it could be on a block of all houses. If you google the address and click on street view you will be able to see exactly what the house looks like as well as the entire block. I live nearby and have walked around that street and would feel comfortable living there, it just might not be right for everyone if it is in fact in the warehouse area.

One great things about that location is it's walk-ability. You can walk to the light rail station, the public library, downtown Englewood, music venues, independent book stores, the grocery store and Englewood City center. You can also walk to on of Denver's nicest parks, Harvard Gulch Park which also has a rec center and outdoor swimming pool.
Check out this photo tour of Englewood, it might give you a better idea of what to expect. It starts on the East side of Englewood, goes through downtown and on to the city center and ends on the west side, close to where you are looking to move.

Englewood / Arapahoe Acres / Mid-Century Modern -- Photo Tour

Old 10-08-2008, 10:03 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,738,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I'm going to peg you as being from California, since you referred to US 85 as "the 85". We simply call it Santa Fe.
I'm guessing southern California. Norcal folks don't preface interstates with "the."

Old 10-08-2008, 10:16 AM

Hi. Im actually from the uk though my girlfriend is originally from the springs. Thanks for your reply...any help is gratefully received!

Old 10-08-2008, 10:41 AM

Hi yodi. Thankyou for the info and the link to the photo tour..a great help! The house is with other houses,not warehouses and is close to the Walmart and the statues of Greek Temple Dogs? Nice to know downtown, the light rail and parks are all in walking distance. Again,thankyou for your help!

Old 10-08-2008, 01:28 PM

Galapago close Walmart is nice. You'll be only about a 1/4 mile (maybe less) from lightrail, library, a grocery store and downtown. I wouldn't hesitate to move there at all, nice neighborhood and great location.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:07 PM

Thankyou yodi...you've put my mind at rest. oh,one more thing?..the apartment complex next to walmart is im told with 'transit oriented' people in mind.Excuse my ignorance,im a brit and sometimes the terminology goes over my head;would that be as it suggests and mean people who commute?

Old 10-08-2008, 02:26 PM

Yes, transit oriented would apply to people who commute. The apartment complex is called the Alexan and is literally just a few steps from the light rail stop. I'd imagine that many people who live there chose it for it's easy access to lightrail. It's a great option even if you don't need it for work as you can be in other parts of Denver in minutes without the hassle of traffic and parking. It'll be a fun way for you to explore Denver once you get here. from that line you can get to Old Littleton, Platt Park, Baker (South Broadway area) and downtown. You can easily transfer to the SE line and check out other areas too. I love having it as an option. It's a big reason we chose to live in Englewood.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:44 PM

6,379 posts, read 10,662,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I'm guessing southern California. Norcal folks don't preface interstates with "the."
Haha, yeah SoCal people do definitely use "the ###" when referring to a Freeway. I was there for 16 years and that is how it was. Funny, it never seemed odd to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver