U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2008, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 5,301 times

Advertisements

My husband has taken a job in downtown Denver and we're expected to be relocated by the end of the year. I know not much time.

I'm heading to Denver next week to "house hunt" but I'm at a loss as to the areas I should be looking at. I'm drawn to the south areas - Castle Rock, Parker, etc. because we have family in the Springs. We want the smaller community feel - not the hustle/bustle of a big city. Ideally, I'd like large lots (not big on having my neighbors 8 ft away) 1/2 acre or so.

We do love the outdoors - skiing, cycling, etc. BTW, our kids are grown (in college)

Any suggestions on towns/neighborhoods to look at? Should I be looking south or in another direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 10:24 AM

201 posts, read 460,801 times
What's your tolerance for commuting? Those southern towns you mention will be at least an hour in primetime.

I think you'll find most participants in this forum will recommend you live as close as possible to where you'll be working, given the cost of energy, traffic congestions, common sense, etc.

I don't know downtown Denver very well, though I did look at houses in the Highlands a while back. That seemed like a great neighborhood, but I don't think it's particularly "small community" feel. It has great access to amenities, culture, traffic arteries, etc. Pricey but...now's probably a great time to get a deal on a house! --N

Old 10-08-2008, 10:36 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,035,439 times
Price range would help.

In general you will not find large lots anywhere in Denver, suburbs included.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:44 AM

I am considering the Highlands Ranch area - I've heard good things about it.

As for price range - I'd like to keep things under 500K but will consider more for the right house.

Commuting is always a concern but my husband is quite the early bird and will probably be leaving the house around the 6am timeframe (very typical for him)

Old 10-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 20 days ago)

10,883 posts, read 29,313,834 times
I would suggest something on the east side of HR, Castle Pines or Lone Tree - or the west side of HR. - Easier access to light rail.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:36 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,035,439 times
Still the same terrible commute though, cookie-cutter hell and water issues creeping up.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:56 PM

I'm not crazy about cookie cutter homes so to avoid that where should I be looking?

Old 10-08-2008, 12:57 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,513,104 times
You can find 1/2 acre lots in Castle Rock for under $500k. It may be difficult but it is possible. Commuting to Denver could be difficult even leaving at 6am. There are already a good amount of people on the road at that time. Heading to Southern Denver wouldn't be too bad.

The nice thing about CR is that you are basically equidistant from Denver and the Springs.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:32 PM

16 posts, read 35,715 times
[SIZE=3]Hi there Busy_Me,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Most prior clients who were looking for the “smaller community feel” really liked the following areas:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Bell Mountain Ranch – Parker area[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Castle Pines North – Castle Rock area[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The Meadows – Castle Rock area[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Perry Park near Larkspur[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The Pinery – Parker area[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Plum Creek – Castle Rock area[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Pradera – Parker area[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Roxborough – far west side of metro Denver[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Sapphire Point- Parker area[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stonegate – Parker area[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]You might also consider area around Franktown. The drive time to downtown Denver may be more than your husband feels comfortable with, but you should at least see the areas around Franktown before making your final decision.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]All of these areas have homes in your price range. More importantly, there are currently over 600 homes on the market in the Douglas County West (DCW), Douglas County/Parker (DCP) and Douglas County Highlands Ranch/Lone Tree (DHL) sections of our MLS system. You should have no difficulty at all finding a home on a larger lot in any of these areas.[/SIZE]

Best of luck to you in finding the perfect home for your needs!

Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or