U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 06:20 PM

619 posts, read 1,956,512 times

Advertisements

Coming from Chicago, I really don't think you're going to find the weather anything particularly exciting or new at all. At least, I haven't found that much of a difference from NJ and PA. I am looking forward to that snow melting quickly like I've been promised...as opposed to the solid 2" of ice that covers all flat surfaces for much of the winter back east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 10:17 PM

274 posts, read 561,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
LOL you are in for a reality check.
I have been researching the Denver/Boulder market for a while now. I never said it would be easy. From my research there are plenty of opportunities for someone of my current skill set. And I am gaining skills in my current job, my 11+ years experience along with my advanced Certifications in Networking and Telecommunications gives me more options for work.

Don't get me wrong, I am going to contact all the recruiters I can before I move out there in hopes of having something setup. But if I don't have anything lined up, I am still packing up and taking off.

As far as it being a tough competitive market, Atlanta is one of the most competitive markets out there and I was able to find work here. I don't anticipate it being easy by any means which is why I am still adding skills, learning as much as I can, and saving up as much money as possible before I head out. I am saving up enough money to pay my rent/utilities/insurance for 18 months in advance and my car is currently paid off.

Last edited by I_Want_Snow; 10-10-2008 at 10:27 PM..

Old 10-11-2008, 11:03 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,035,760 times
Quote:
As far as it being a tough competitive market, Atlanta is one of the most competitive markets out there
Funny you should say that as I have been flying to Atlanta recently for work -- well Buckhead anyway.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:08 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,732,173 times
Here's a story that was done on 9News the other morning: the article is saying that Denver's economy/job market may be a little better than elsewhere in the nation. Maybe this will provide a little hope!

9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | Economist: Denver's economic health not so bad (http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=101393 - broken link)

One thing that has not been brought up... the energy boom in western Colorado is keeping our economy somewhat stabilized in Colorado. Although the industry is focused around the drilling on the western slope, the economic impact greatly benefits Denver and the front range as well. Lots of the energy corporations such as Shell, have large offices in Denver.

The thing that concerns me about the energy boom is the volitale nature of the industry. Much of the current oil boom is based on speculation that the drilling of oil shale will become profitable if crude oil prices continue to increase. If however, the oil companies eventually deem the process of extracting oil shale unprofitable, it is likely that they will pack up and leave western Colorado. This happened back in the 1980s, leaving Colorado in a deep recession.

Wanttomoveeast: Over the past couple of years, I have also considered moving somewhere else. I know we've had discussions about this. With the economy the way it is, though, I think I will stay put for now. I want to wait a year or so to see how the economy goes before I uproot and move across the country. I think alot of people are cautious about moving right now.

I have a fairly stable job right now, which I am very thankful for. I have however, been applying for new jobs so that I can advance my career. I have a couple job interviews next week. Although the job market right now isn't nearly as good as it was about a year ago, there are still jobs to be found. I'm just glad I'm not trying to find something from out of state!

Old 10-11-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Funny you should say that as I have been flying to Atlanta recently for work -- well Buckhead anyway.
That's cool... I currently work for Cox Communications a few miles north of Buckhead/ATL doing their Cisco VoIP phone/Network support. ATL is a cool place, but it's just not for me. I honestly thought I would like it when I moved here in May but I HATE IT!! Summers are too hot and too long and the people here (from my experience so far) are just plain rude. Plus there is still lots of racial tension here.

I grew up just outside of Detroit and never experienced the racial tensions I feel here (on all sides: whites, blacks, hispanics, etc) or in FL. But I guess it is the deep South and from what I am told it is expected.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:29 PM

6,380 posts, read 10,668,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Want_Snow View Post
That's cool... I currently work for Cox Communications a few miles north of Buckhead/ATL doing their Cisco VoIP phone/Network support. ATL is a cool place, but it's just not for me. I honestly thought I would like it when I moved here in May but I HATE IT!! Summers are too hot and too long and the people here (from my experience so far) are just plain rude. Plus there is still lots of racial tension here.

I grew up just outside of Detroit and never experienced the racial tensions I feel here (on all sides: whites, blacks, hispanics, etc) or in FL. But I guess it is the deep South and from what I am told it is expected.
I am in the same position as you are and somewhat similar too (37 yy and been in IT just about 10 years). I have been checking job sites and there seemed to be quite a few good matches that also seem to be paying better than Phoenix where I am at right now. Also most jobs seem to be a 'direct hire' position which I am looking for. I will try to find a job before I move, even put in a fake local Denver address in my profile but chances are employers will not even give me a fair fighting chance till I actually moved there!
Worst case scenario, I will take any IT job that would get me by then when I am there, I should have no problem finding a better one.
People who are having hard time finding a job either lack the skills in their field or their field/position is not in demand that much, that is what I am thinking. Another thing is, with the exception of certain fields (medical being one of them), most jobs are in demand in certain areas while not so in other areas of the county.
I think IT field is still growing strong in spite of stupid outsourcing and current economical crisis which we all are facing. I want to move because the vibe of the city I live in right now doesn't really compliment my personality or life style. I also am longing a more 4-season type climate and cleaner air.
Regardless of the current financial crisis and crappy politicians, this is, without a doubt, still the best country to live in imho.

1 Luv,
TL

Old 10-12-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I think IT field is still growing strong in spite of stupid outsourcing and current economical crisis which we all are facing. I want to move because the vibe of the city I live in right now doesn't really compliment my personality or life style. I also am longing a more 4-season type climate and cleaner air.
Regardless of the current financial crisis and crappy politicians, this is, without a doubt, still the best country to live in imho.

1 Luv,
TL
I know what you mean about the seasons. I was born and raised in Michigan and really miss the cold weather and snow.

From what I have been reading certain parts of I.T. are still in demand. I have been doing networking for about 8 of my 11 yrs and now have about 1 1/2 years of VoIP support. And now I am studying both VoIP and Network security, so I think by adding these skills it will open more doors. And I agree with you on taking any job you can find once you get there just to get some income coming in. Good luck in your move!! I will be there by this time next year!!

Old 10-12-2008, 08:38 AM

3,530 posts, read 8,722,124 times
Downtownnola: I hear you, I'd love to move now (esp. with this winter coming!) but it really doesn't feel like a good time. That's a very interesting point you brought up about the energy and drilling in Colo. And the article does give some hope!

With the IT thing, I think (and hope not) that many of you on this thread are overestimating the competition. I'm speaking from experiences my DH went thru, but still. Most of who he was going up against had high level degrees and certs, not just the certs that everyone has (sorry can't name them off!). Also, he found a very high amount of contractor positions, which really SUCK here in Denver. Northrop and Lockheed hire tons of contractors. The jobs look good, but once you get in, it's not nearly as good. The contractors are treated like dirt compared to the direct hires. He had a really hard time getting a direct hire --- and he has that nice combo of higher education degrees, certs and experience. Really, it seems to me that the market is not only competitive but very saturated.

I Want Snow is being smart about it, savings. That's no joke. But with the savings, the pressure is off for finding a job and you can take your time. Good luck to you in your move!

Old 10-12-2008, 10:26 AM

If the economy was better I would just say screw it and take off now... but I have a feeling it's going to get worse before it gets better. So when I move I am going to make sure to have enough $$ to live off of for at least a year while I job search. Plus I figure by saving up that much, then I can actually spend my first few weeks there like a vacation and enjoy it and get used to the new surroundings!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or