Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 03:10 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times

Advertisements

OK, so this is a good thing only, just my thoughts now...

What about this economy? How on earth can all these people move here and expect everything to be okee dokey?

Banks going under, the DOW closing at 9,000 today, chaos oh my ---what would make a person want to up and move RIGHT NOW?? Unless they have the money I suppose, but I doubt that's the case.

So for us Denverites, how will all this "I'm moving to Denver" affect us? Do you guys think this will help our sour housing status?

I for one am glad because everyone here knows I whine about Denver being too small. So come on everyone, move here!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 03:37 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
A lot of people on this forum talk about moving to Denver but whether or not they'll actually do it when push comes to shove is a different story.

I fail to see what the closing price of the DJIA has to do with whether or not one would move to Denver. The ups and downs of the stock market is scary but that is not directly related to employment. For most people life moves on. If you're an investment banker, in the mortgage industry, or in real estate life must be looking pretty grim right now though. Believe it or not people are still getting hired for jobs, even RIGHT NOW. I've had three job interviews in the last two weeks, and a few more lined up soon. There's a lot of ignorant panic going on right now, being promoted by the media because people find fear entertaining.

Well for me, as soon as I graduate in May I'm coming to Denver job or no job-- what have I to lose? I can live at home, free rent, however long it takes until I find a job and then move out and get my own place. Of course I'm also 22 and Denver already is my home. Most people wanting to move to Denver don't already have that luxury. The only possesions I have other than what I can pack in my car is cheap IKEA furniture which I'll be glad to throw out. Once my apartment lease here is up next May, all it's going to cost for me to move back to Denver is 3 tanks of gas and possibly a one night stop in Vegas. Many of the people wanting to move to Denver we hear about on this forum are also pretty young like me and are single, free, and easy. Of course, if you're married and have to worry about finding new jobs for TWO people, have kids in school, a mortgage on a house, and a house full of junk that needs an 18 wheeler to move, just picking up and moving to Denver is a lot easier said than done.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:40 PM

7 posts, read 13,994 times
For me personally, I will be accepting a promotion to make this move. My company will pay the closing costs to sell my home where I'm currently at, and they will pay to move all of our items as well. So for us it's pretty secure. My industry(healthcare) is about as secure as they come these days.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I just hope they find a job BEFORE moving. I think it is ridiculous to move without a job.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:49 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
I hadn't been back to Denver in 10 years and was absolutely shocked by the number of Illegal Aliens. My BIL gave me a run down on the City as he is a meter reader. Un-believable.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:51 PM

True, but still, judging from this forum alone it would appear they are coming in masses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
A lot of people on this forum talk about moving to Denver but whether or not they'll actually do it when push comes to shove is a different story.
I disagree about this as everyone I know from lawyers to doctors to policemen to teachers are feeling the hit. Ask the 1,000's just laid off about the correlation between the market and jobs. Not everyone just finished a grad. program and is ripe for the picking. Just saying. I know people are still being hired, but don't you think it's strange when you see law firms closing?? Maybe not since it's not your field, but believe me, it's the talk around the water cooler.

And I don't believe losing your entire retirement is an ignorant panic.

Quote:
I fail to see what the closing price of the DJIA has to do with whether or not one would move to Denver. The ups and downs of the stock market is scary but that is not directly related to employment. For most people life moves on. If you're an investment banker, in the mortgage industry, or in real estate life must be looking pretty grim right now though. Believe it or not people are still getting hired for jobs, even RIGHT NOW. I've had three job interviews in the last two weeks, and a few more lined up soon. There's a lot of ignorant panic going on right now, being promoted by the media because people find fear entertaining.

Again, many people don't have a home to move to rent free. It's not really what I was questioning in this thread anyway. Most of the posts I've read are from people with kids, not 22 yr. olds with no kids. I'm just looking at the most recent posts. And yep, mortgages are what they are carrying too.

Quote:
Well for me, as soon as I graduate in May I'm coming to Denver job or no job-- what have I to lose? I can live at home, free rent, however long it takes until I find a job and then move out and get my own place. Of course I'm also 22 and Denver already is my home. Most people wanting to move to Denver don't already have that luxury. The only possesions I have other than what I can pack in my car is cheap IKEA furniture which I'll be glad to throw out. Once my apartment lease here is up next May, all it's going to cost for me to move back to Denver is 3 tanks of gas and possibly a one night stop in Vegas. Many of the people wanting to move to Denver we hear about on this forum are also pretty young like me and are single, free, and easy. Of course, if you're married and have to worry about finding new jobs for TWO people, have kids in school, a mortgage on a house, and a house full of junk that needs an 18 wheeler to move, just picking up and moving to Denver is a lot easier said than done.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:52 PM

19 posts, read 81,081 times
First of all the housing market for medium priced homes is on FIRE I have been trying to buy a house now for three months but no sooner do I view a house then I find out its already under contract. Homes I am able to put an offer on there are already five offers on it. The ones owned by banks and are in really bas shape could take a few months but if there is nothing "wrong" with the house then it will go rather quickly.

Anyway, If your trying to move here, you won't have a too hard a time. Good Luck!

I think more people need to move to denver so all of you who are lookng to get here...GET HERE!!! We are growing, Colorado is a stable place to live and the more people here the better off we all are. Plenty of jobs, lots of housing rentals at good deals. I currently rent a two bedroom for 650 and it is not a trashy complex and there isn't any crime. Is that true everywhere? No, but they are out there!

Everyone says its difficult to get a loan right now because of the economy and the bailout. Well have you actually tried to get credit??? Its EASY if you have decent credit and a modest downpayment.

The people who are complaining are the ones that shouldn't be approved! Get some help fixing your credit! There are plenty of free resources out there! Ask me if you need some. Save just a little of money for downpayment. Try and spend a little less than you make...I know its a wild idea but try it!!! It will get you though the rough times.

I just feel bad for the retired people living off their savings and stocks...crappy time to need to draw on that money. If your younger, you don't have too much to worry about of you don't have a huge 401k. Otherwise Its a great time to buy real estate, strong stocks and mutual funds.

So anyway if your moving here you shouldn't have too hard a time, Good Luck!

Old 10-09-2008, 03:54 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. A promotion and a company paying for the move is a very good thing and I can't say I blame you. If I was in the same position, I'd do exactly what you are doing. For us, selling our home (here) any time soon will mean losing our shirts. So not only would we get to pay closing costs, but we'd be practically paying the buyers just to buy our house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerfan11 View Post
For me personally, I will be accepting a promotion to make this move. My company will pay the closing costs to sell my home where I'm currently at, and they will pay to move all of our items as well. So for us it's pretty secure. My industry(healthcare) is about as secure as they come these days.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:55 PM

I totally agree. I'm in a field which I consider very stable, but still. I won't move before finding work. I used to say I would just move and find work at that time, but things have changed, and not for the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I just hope they find a job BEFORE moving. I think it is ridiculous to move without a job.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:58 PM

Pyrotec: I think you are the only one who truly answered my question. Excellent point on the housing market here. I tend to view things from my perspective, which is why this forum is awesome. I can now see why everyone wants to come here. And like I said, I want a bigger city, so yay, come!

Really, my thoughts were surrounding the impending doom. I know there are certain youngsters out there (and here) who think it's just doom and gloom but if you take a hard look at what's happening out there, not so. Anyway, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver