U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Moving to Denver from Oregon, cold weather, blizzards, Denver altitude concern, runnerís club, places to avoid downtown, wine tasting, theater, diversity and culture, freelance graphic artist

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 05:17 PM

22 posts, read 48,341 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are in Oregon, hoping to move to Denver soon. We have positive feelings about the city in general, but based solely on what we've read and heard, not from experience. I have some questions I thought I'd pose to get some information.

1. I spent some years in NYC before I was married. I was in my 20s, single, rocking my career, etc. No reason to be tied down, no reason to subscribe to the midwestern stay-at-home-wife-and-mom ideals I was running from by moving from OKC to NYC. Well then I met Mr. Wonderful and now we're married. We'll have kids eventually (3-5 years or so), but for now, we want to enjoy each other, our city, our careers. We'll throw ourselves into parenting when it comes, but we're in no rush. My question is this: is there a place in Denver for 30-something couples with no kids? It sometimes seems like most 30-somethings are either single and having a blast with other single friends, or married with kids, making friends with other parents. Is there a place for us in-betweeners? I feel some pressure to have kids, and sometimes it feels like that might be the only way I make friends: to have kids and join a mom group. Is there stuff for young, non-parent professionals in Denver?

2. Having lived in NYC, I'm not intimidated by Denver's cold. Bring it on, I say. But how cold is it? Blizzards, much?

3. I like to run. Run, run, run. Will I die of asphyxiation in Denver's altitude? Is there a runner's club? How do you best get used to it? I already drink a truckload of water.

4. We'd like to rent at first. What's the pricing like? We don't need anything fancy, but we'd like to be in an area that's close to downtown and activities. Thoughts? Any places to avoid?

5. What stuff happens there? Theater? Clubs (hobby-specific, not techno)? Jazz? What do you do for fun? Book clubs? Wine tastings?

6. Is it a good place to raise kids? How do you feel about the schooling there?

7. We're Christians, but Democrats. Somewhat liberal on some things; partially conservative on a couple things; really pretty moderate and willing to talk about anything with anyone without arguing. We enjoy all kinds of people - gay/straight, black/white, Christian/Jewish/Muslim/anything, Republican/Democrat, pink hair/brown hair, whatever. Do Denverians like to mix it up or do people tend to stay in their corners? Do you have lots of kinds of people?

8. Will I need to start following the "for high altitudes.." portion of recipes?

9. I'm a freelance graphic artist and I work from home. What's the market like there? Any good groups to join for networking/friendships?

Any thoughts, coherent or random, are most welcome! We're excited to try a new place and are hoping to settle in and call it home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 8 days ago)

69,998 posts, read 60,539,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libbyann721 View Post
Hi,

My husband and I are in Oregon, hoping to move to Denver soon. We have positive feelings about the city in general, but based solely on what we've read and heard, not from experience. I have some questions I thought I'd pose to get some information.

1. I spent some years in NYC before I was married. I was in my 20s, single, rocking my career, etc. No reason to be tied down, no reason to subscribe to the midwestern stay-at-home-wife-and-mom ideals I was running from by moving from OKC to NYC. Well then I met Mr. Wonderful and now we're married. We'll have kids eventually (3-5 years or so), but for now, we want to enjoy each other, our city, our careers. We'll throw ourselves into parenting when it comes, but we're in no rush. My question is this: is there a place in Denver for 30-something couples with no kids? It sometimes seems like most 30-somethings are either single and having a blast with other single friends, or married with kids, making friends with other parents. Is there a place for us in-betweeners? I feel some pressure to have kids, and sometimes it feels like that might be the only way I make friends: to have kids and join a mom group. Is there stuff for young, non-parent professionals in Denver?

I'm not sure what you're looking for. We moved here in our 30s with no kids. We made friends the usual ways: clubs, work, etc. I don't know what a non-parent would do that a parent wouldn't want to do. I mean, non-parents may not want to go to the zoo or the Children's Museum, or ChuckECheese (sp?), but other than that, what? Most parents like to go to movies, restaurants, plays, sporting events, and so on, with or without the kids.

2. Having lived in NYC, I'm not intimidated by Denver's cold. Bring it on, I say. But how cold is it? Blizzards, much?

Check a weather website and/or search this forum for weather data. The short answer, probably a milder winter than NYC.

3. I like to run. Run, run, run. Will I die of asphyxiation in Denver's altitude? Is there a runner's club? How do you best get used to it? I already drink a truckload of water.

Lots of runner's groups. Your body will slowly acclamate to the altitude.

4. We'd like to rent at first. What's the pricing like? We don't need anything fancy, but we'd like to be in an area that's close to downtown and activities. Thoughts? Any places to avoid?

Again, do a search. There is tons of info on this forum on housing, neighborhoods, and the like.

5. What stuff happens there? Theater? Clubs (hobby-specific, not techno)? Jazz? What do you do for fun? Book clubs? Wine tastings?

Shovel snow, LOL! The same things as anywhere.

Yes. The schools are good.

7. We're Christians, but Democrats. Somewhat liberal on some things; partially conservative on a couple things; really pretty moderate and willing to talk about anything with anyone without arguing. We enjoy all kinds of people - gay/straight, black/white, Christian/Jewish/Muslim/anything, Republican/Democrat, pink hair/brown hair, whatever. Do Denverians like to mix it up or do people tend to stay in their corners? Do you have lots of kinds of people?

Christians BUT Democrats? I don't think that is so unusual. It depends on who you meet. There's not a lot of racial diversity, though Denver itself is majority-minority.

8. Will I need to start following the "for high altitudes.." portion of recipes?

Yes.

9. I'm a freelance graphic artist and I work from home. What's the market like there? Any good groups to join for networking/friendships?

No idea. I know one person with a degree in graphic arts and she was managing a Dairy Queen for a while.

Any thoughts, coherent or random, are most welcome! We're excited to try a new place and are hoping to settle in and call it home.
Search the forums. Good luck to you!

Old 10-11-2008, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've perused many, many websites in search for the answers to my questions. I was hoping for more of a "what is it really like to live there" as opposed to what the Denver Tourism Board website (which is beautifully designed, by the way - I fell in love with the city through the website) tells.

In regards to the parenting thing: my experience, having lived in many cities now, is that parents' lives revolve around either what their kids are doing or what their kids aren't doing. I haven't met many that are able to live the same post-kids as they did pre-kids. Life changes. It totally changes, and the friends that I have with kids do things very differently (as they should!) than they used to. I'm all for parents devoting their lives to their kids. But is there a community of people there who have not yet had kids? Gosh, this is starting to sound anti-kid. I just know that when I've tried to do things with parents in other cities, it's either "come with me while my kids do this" or "I can't - I have to stay home with the kids..." Just wondering if we'll be outsiders.

I've also lived in cities where it is really hard to find things people are doing that are fun, so I'm wondering if it's easy to find things to do there (like it is in Austin/NYC/Portland) or if it's more of a stay-home city (like a couple other places I've lived). We like activity and not all cities are all that active.

In regards to Christians BUT Democrats: in the midwestern towns I've lived in, the two are never in the same sentence. I've grown accustomed to qualifying this.

Dairy Queen. Not really what I'm hoping for.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 8 days ago)

69,998 posts, read 60,539,184 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've perused many, many websites in search for the answers to my questions. I was hoping for more of a "what is it really like to live there" as opposed to what the Denver Tourism Board website (which is beautifully designed, by the way - I fell in love with the city through the website) tells.

Well, I think for weather, housing prices, and the like, the websites are more reliable than people saying "I think. . .". There is a wealth of information here on City-Data about the neighborhoods, schools, and just about every aspect of life here.

In regards to the parenting thing: my experience, having lived in many cities now, is that parents' lives revolve around either what their kids are doing or what their kids aren't doing. I haven't met many that are able to live the same post-kids as they did pre-kids. Life changes. It totally changes, and the friends that I have with kids do things very differently (as they should!) than they used to. I'm all for parents devoting their lives to their kids. But is there a community of people there who have not yet had kids? Gosh, this is starting to sound anti-kid. I just know that when I've tried to do things with parents in other cities, it's either "come with me while my kids do this" or "I can't - I have to stay home with the kids..." Just wondering if we'll be outsiders.

I really don't know the answer to that. We had our kids, now they're grown (almost). There certainly was a time when we did the above. Even then, though, we did "grown-up" type stuff, too. As the kids got older, they got involved with their lives and we did more adult-type stuff, too. People do tend to have kids later here (late 20s, 30s, even into their 40s), so there must be couples around who don't have them.

I've also lived in cities where it is really hard to find things people are doing that are fun, so I'm wondering if it's easy to find things to do there (like it is in Austin/NYC/Portland) or if it's more of a stay-home city (like a couple other places I've lived). We like activity and not all cities are all that active.

I'd say it's more like Austin/Portland.

In regards to Christians BUT Democrats: in the midwestern towns I've lived in, the two are never in the same sentence. I've grown accustomed to qualifying this.

Dairy Queen. Not really what I'm hoping for.
Hopefully, you can find a better job than that.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:56 PM

Thanks, again, for the reply.

I guess I'm not giving enough info to really make what I'm saying sound less like I'm criticizing parent lifestyles and more like "please tell me I won't be an outsider for not having kids yet."

You're right, people do tend to have kids later these days. I spent about 12 years an area where people think there's something wrong with you if you're not married by 20 and having babies by 25. What did I do when all my friends were married and popping out babies? I moved to NYC because I wasn't ready to be a wife or mom. I married an Oregonian, and we're looking at Denver because I need sunshine. What I'm hoping is for a city that has both a vibrant city life scene and safe suburbs for when the smaller people arrive. I've lived in AZ, TX, OK, NY, CA and OR and it kind of seems like cities/towns cater to one or the other. (With the exception of Portland, but again, I need sunshine!)

Hopefully that makes me sound less like a kid hater. Again, thanks for the dialog.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:48 PM

7 posts, read 12,471 times
Good luck to you with your new move. My wife and I moved from Illinois, first her in May and then me in July but as you can see, still have a house back there.

As for Christian Democrats etc., I haven't found anyone here to be overly judgmental about anything. I think people may express their opinion but I don't feel as if I would ever be afraid to express my opinion, practices, beliefs, etc.

Now, I came to this site to find a decent place that makes pizza AND delivers! I'm amazed at how many local places do not deliver pizza! Besides, most of it is the NY style which I find to be lousy!

Old 10-12-2008, 07:34 AM

1,313 posts, read 4,950,034 times
Rinse and repeat....everything you are asking here is answerable by doing some searches. I normally don't side with Jazzlover (who hasn't set foot in this thread) but everything you've been asking has been asked and has been answered.

I guess I get a bit miffed when the same generic questions get asked again and again without an effort on the part of the poster using the search function. There's a wealth of information you can't get here in this thread so I recommend doing a search in both the Denver and the general Colorado forum.

Weather - been there, done that
Kids - been there done that
Culture - been there, done that.

I don't mean to sound "mean" or whatever but you are asking the same thing a million other people have asked and apparently not taken the time to cruise through threads.

Try it, you might find some interesting answers to your own questions.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:37 AM

274 posts, read 404,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
Rinse and repeat....everything you are asking here is answerable by doing some searches. I normally don't side with Jazzlover (who hasn't set foot in this thread) but everything you've been asking has been asked and has been answered.

I guess I get a bit miffed when the same generic questions get asked again and again without an effort on the part of the poster using the search function. There's a wealth of information you can't get here in this thread so I recommend doing a search in both the Denver and the general Colorado forum.

I don't mean to sound "mean" or whatever but you are asking the same thing a million other people have asked and apparently not taken the time to cruise through threads.

If you see these types of threads, why not just ignore them? Some people don't have the free time to spends hours searching in a forum that you can just ask a question about. People with kids, jobs, and/or going to school their free time is pretty much non existent. So they don't have time to search and search for answers to some questions. I work 14 hours a day 6 days a week and have over an hour drive to work. I have about 5 hours a day to myself that I have to sleep, eat, and take care of daily household chores. So someone like me doesn't have the time to search and search for answers. It's easier for me to take 5 mins to post a question and 5 mins every day or every other day to check back for my answers.

If you don't have anything nice to say or no USEFUL information to add, just don't come into the threads

Old 10-12-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post

I guess I just like dialog better.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:22 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,973,829 times
Quote:
Hi,

I would have to say no, there isn't. It seems like as soon as you turn 28 in Denver you're supposed to get married, move to the suburbs, and crank out babies. I take classes at CCD and I am shocked by how many of my fellow students, under age 30, are already married with kids. Denver is definitely not the kind of city where it's common for someone to choose their career over starting a family. In fact, it's the type of place where receiving a promotion could hinge on whether or not you project a family-friendly image. If you want friends that are in their 30's, affluent, single/unmarried, and without kids, then you should befriend as many gay guys as possible. Seriously.

Quote:
Good. Because weather can suck here too. We can get snow in June and 80 degree weather in February.

Quote:
I didn't have a hard time acclimating to Denver's altitude or dryness, but some people really struggle with it. Keep drinking tons of water.

Quote:
I imagine Denver to be similarly priced to Portland. West Highlands, Congress Park, Wash Park, Cheesman Park, Cherry Creek North are all good areas. Stay away from Capitol Hill. Rents are cheap and it's close to Downtown but it's overrun with homeless and it's not close to things like grocery stores and hardware stores.

Quote:
I hate the nightlife here. Last call is at 1 am, and the options are few to begin with. Other than LoDo there isn't a high concentration of nightlife anywhere. Aside from that, all the bars are identical in theme and decor. I'm only 25 y.o. and even I don't like going out in LoDo. So fake, so pretensious, so expensive. Denver does have a huge performing arts complex with theater, opera, ballet, and an orchestra. It seems like Denver only has these cultural amenities just so they can tout them in travel brochures for tourists, but don't tell that to the people here. Denverites have convinced themselves that Denver is a First Tier City like New York, LA, or Chicago. Denver isn't even a Second Tier City like Dallas or Atlanta, they're more like a Third Tier City like St. Louis. Fun here equals the mountains. Not enough action for most real city-dwellers. I have to say that Portland offers the same, if not easier, access to mountains and surrounding nature but with a much better urban core than Denver. Is sunshine really that important to you? Also keep in mind that we have NO WATER! Oregon is filled with beautiful rivers and lakes and of course the Pacific coastline.

Quote:
It's great for kids as long as they don't attend public schools. Colorado Public Schools are ranked 49th in the nation for K-12 education. Colorado also has a 40% dropout rate. Everybody here sends their kids to private schools and charter schools. I recently read another statistic that said only 1 in 5 graduates of Colorado high schools will go on to attend secondary education of any kind. Not encouraging.

Quote:
Denver is quite possibly the most cliquey city I've ever been to. While there are many different kinds of people living here, they do not cross social, ethnic, or cultural barriers. If you are an extreme-sports-loving, bearded, flannel-shirt-wearing, mountain man, then chances are every single other person you associate yourself with looks, acts, and talks exactly like you. If you're a trust fund drawing, Benz driving, Armani wearing Saudi Arabian, you most likely surround yourself with the same. Back in Wisconsin my friends were poor, rich, Black, white, Asian, Persian, stoners, punks, frat guys, DJs, breakdancers, tattoo artists, graffiti artists, rastas, and pretty much anybody who was cool. No diversity of thought here. People here don't seem to be politically charged one way or the other. Nor do they seem to be engaged much at all. I would much rather debate someone I fervently disagree with, than talk to someone with absolutely no opinons whatsoever about anything. Coloradoans seem to fall in the opinon-less category.

Quote:
Yes. It took a couple batches of sunken brownies before I realized this.

Quote:
It seems like that is a very popular career out here. Almost every business needs businees cards, posters, letterheads, and flyers.

Quote:
I personally don't like Denver, so keep that in mind when you're digesting my comments. I have found that after 4 years, I realized I prefer nearly everything about the Upper Midwest and Northeastern U.S. like water, trees, history, tradition, older homes, densely populated cities, and a sense of community that is lacking in the Southwestern U.S.

Last edited by EastSideMKE; 10-12-2008 at 04:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver